Where to fish central coast

M
Mboyer
Hi there, what a great place! I am new to fly fishing, something I have always dreamed of doing and last month I decided it was time. I have a bit of a situation, I have an unpredictable cardiac issue that makes me nervous to venture too far from my vehicle. I am looking for semi-easy access places to start between Newport and Philomath. I drive by creeks and rivers and wonder are there fish in there? I would love to go to a beautiful place and catch some trout. I have practiced casting at Olalla lake and moonshine on the Siletz. Any suggestions on smaller creeks that would be filled with kids on inflatable unicorns and and a million experienced fisherman mean mugging me as I fumble through getting the hang of things…
Thanks in advance!

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF! Sorry about your cardiac issue. Which, hopefully, will present NO issues while you're out flingin' your bug wand.

Please note that very few rivers are open, yet, for Trout angling. And the Siletz is one stream that is not open for trout. Coastal (and many other) trout streams don't open until May 22nd this year.

Just North of Newport is Big Creek Reservoir #1 and Reservoir #2 (upper lake above Res. #1). #1 is in front of the water treatment plant. Then just continue up that road, to find #2. #2 has many more areas where you could cast.

The only other place that comes to mind--from Philomath to Newport--is Elk City and the Yaquina River. There is a turn OFF, on Hwy. 20, just west of the Power Station onto Elk City Road. There may be a few spots along the way, to Elk City. And Elk City County Park may have some spots that you could try.

NOTE: It's a long'ish drive to Elk City OFF of Hwy. 20 and likely no cell phone service. So please take that into consideration with your cardiac issue.

M
Mboyer
Thank you for your quick response! I should have mentioned that I cut the hook portion off the a large fly to practice with, as I did not want to hook myself, or anything or anybody else. However that did not stop me from getting tangled in many bushes, trees, my leg, my pack, rocks… it’s still pretty messy. I did use real hooks at Olalla, but no fish were top feeding and I couldn’t get it far enough away from bank with the wind. I now know I should have tried the nymphs. Thank you for the recommendations! Can you tell me what creek runs along the old Hwy 20 which is now Crystal Creek Loop? I have seen signs for trapp creek, either big elk or little elk, and Mary’s river… We swim our dogs in Elk City and I have fished for steelhead via boat, I shall follow some of the smaller creeks off that. I will for sure not venture out of cell reception alone! Thank you again.

troutdude
troutdude
The Yaquina River runs along Hwy. 20 NW of Eddyville and runs along Nashville Rd/Hwy. 180 to the NE. All of those tribs flow into the Yaquina (as far as I know).

Reactions: Mboyer