Making Some Salmon/Steelie Spinners; Any Color Ideas?

F
fugitivefisherman
In a unique (and awesome) situation where I have come into equipment to make some spinners. I've had *some* luck with the Blue Fox Vibrax in the past, but I feel like there isn't the perfect color to attract the Salmon and Steelies out here consistently. I want to make a lure that is similar to a Vibrax, but with better colors. I want to make my own because I get so bummed whenever I lose $5 due to a snag, and I've bought just about every variation in the past.

I'm wondering if you guys have any thoughts on the colors for these spinners! I'm thinking pink and orange (these are the colors that get the best bites on the rivers I'm fishing), and just keeping the silver spinner on top.

I'd love something that fits the exact wants and needs of my fishing without having to settle for something that "kinda works". I'm fishing on a budget and can't break the bank! If you guys have any inputs or suggestions It'd be much appreciated! I want to essentially make the Vibrax, but for a helluva lot cheaper and with (in my opinion) a better color scheme tailored to Oregon fish :).

Thanks y'all. Let me know what you think

S
Snopro
A black blade/black body or silver blade/silver body, should catch most of the fish willing to bite.
Important it's real silver plate, not chrome or nickle.

I don't know if you can build them cheaper than vibrax on sale.

troutdude
troutdude
Snopro said:
A black blade/black body
Also a piece of black tubing over the hook shank = deadliest spinner ever for Fall Nooks on cloudy / foggy / overcast days! The first time that I made a batch, after reading the book below in the 80's, I went 1 for 4 at Moonshine Park on the Siletz. All 30-pound range Nooks!

You can also get up to speed quickly, by getting and reading this book. It was written by a fellow Oregonian; and is the Bible of spinner fishing. Get a 1st Edition if you can find one. Because it's got color pic's of Jed's designs.

1711042229163.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Snopro
F
fugitivefisherman
Great advice, I really appreciate it! I think I'll do a silver on silver and a black on black then, and I'll definitely have to buy the book as well. I think it'll cost about $2 to make em, and hopefully once I buy all the materials and paints the more I make the cheaper they'll get. The cheapest Vibrax I've ever bought was like 3.50, so with time that dollar fifty difference will add up :). I'm gonna make some prototypes, but essentially they're going to be clones of the other spinners.

Once I get them done I'll post a photo on here. Maybe if the reception is good I'll even sell them :D. Appreciate the feedback you guys. Silver on silver coming first, then black on black with black tubing. Hopefully more to come once I get the book!

Reactions: Chromatose
C
cchinook
fugitivefisherman said:
In a unique (and awesome) situation where I have come into equipment to make some spinners. I've had *some* luck with the Blue Fox Vibrax in the past, but I feel like there isn't the perfect color to attract the Salmon and Steelies out here consistently. I want to make a lure that is similar to a Vibrax, but with better colors. I want to make my own because I get so bummed whenever I lose $5 due to a snag, and I've bought just about every variation in the past.

I'm wondering if you guys have any thoughts on the colors for these spinners! I'm thinking pink and orange (these are the colors that get the best bites on the rivers I'm fishing), and just keeping the silver spinner on top.

I'd love something that fits the exact wants and needs of my fishing without having to settle for something that "kinda works". I'm fishing on a budget and can't break the bank! If you guys have any inputs or suggestions It'd be much appreciated! I want to essentially make the Vibrax, but for a helluva lot cheaper and with (in my opinion) a better color scheme tailored to Oregon fish :).

Thanks y'all. Let me know what you think
I have caught a lot of coho and nooks with orange body and gold blade , Blue Fox