"The River Why"?

EOBOY
EOBOY
Recently someone gave me the book "The River Why" I have found it to be a very entertaining book. It's setting is in Oregon. I Wonder If anyone has heard of it? When my friend first gave it to me I didn't think I would like it. Oh, how wrong I was.

Dana

O
OnTheDrop
Just don't watch the movie.

Glad you liked it.

I have some authors/books that you will really dig. The next time I see you I'll pass it your way.. And maybe get my book back. Lol!

C
Camo
Good read! I tried her technique and it kind of worked bringing steelhead in gently, but I'll stick with a conventional reel. I always had the feeling that the river was the lower Nehalem. At least where he saved the dead guy. And maybe a stretch of the Salmonberry.

P
pdxstruve
Make sure to check out David James Duncan's other books. His collection of essays, River Teeth is one I still pick up every year.

T
taconight2night
Hey Camo, I saw a bunch of the exact same Blue Fox spinners as the one in your avatar for sale at the good will for $0.99. Is that a good color?

C
Camo
taconight2night said:
Hey Camo, I saw a bunch of the exact same Blue Fox spinners as the one in your avatar for sale at the good will for $0.99. Is that a good color?

I have a very large collection of Blue Fox-red, number five and sixes. If anyone would like to see them, they're displayed on many low hanging branches above most of the salmon streams in the North Coast.

:)

S
Socaaron
I've read the book and found it to be a enjoyable read. Interestingly enough last year I bought a fly rod off a guy on Craigslist who lives in my neighborhood. We got to talking and turns out he's a retired PSU professor who had the author as a student as well as fishing companion and shared so insight into where certain areas of the book were based,because I had my theories as well. So his input/theorries from knowing Duncan is that most of the book is based around the Nestucca river and the portland creek where he saves the little trout was the then highly polluted Johnson creek. Well that's my input on the thread..lol

EOBOY
EOBOY
Socaaron said:
I've read the book and found it to be a enjoyable read. Interestingly enough last year I bought a fly rod off a guy on Craigslist who lives in my neighborhood. We got to talking and turns out he's a retired PSU professor who had the author as a student as well as fishing companion and shared so insight into where certain areas of the book were based,because I had my theories as well. So his input/theorries from knowing Duncan is that most of the book is based around the Nestucca river and the portland creek where he saves the little trout was the then highly polluted Johnson creek. Well that's my input on the thread..lol

I just finished it today. One of the most thought provoking books I've read, right up there with Stranger in a strange land. Philosophically. Lived near Johnson creek in the early 70's and watched it die, had my idea that was the one he was talking about. I loved the mention of the Otis Cafe, if you haven't eaten there your missing something. There aren't many cafe's left like that. If the lot isn't full when I go by I usually stop and eat.

Dana

EOBOY
EOBOY
Socaaron said:

Socaaron:

One of the things mentioned in the book was the covering of the falls at Celilo. I remember going with my Grandparents to the falls one last time before it was covered. Being young I can't remember much. We stayed in a large Canvas tent with a Wood stove. I think my grandfather knew one of the Chiefs. Long story there. Anyway after a few days we went to the Sandy and dipped Smelt. Then we went up to the hot springs above Estacada on the Clack. "Gus" must have been near my age.