The fish that made me cry.

S
SquidHC
My son is 5 years old and is severely disabled. While he can't hold a pole very well, he does like to crank the reel while I hold the pole. Sadly, his mother just moved to Georgia and in two weeks I have to fly him there to live with her. I am heart broken to say the least. Anyway, I decided I wanted to take him fishing as he had never succeed in catching a fish and that was something I wanted to experience with him. We headed up the Clackamas to Eagle Creek, where I found a nice little hole.

I would cast out, and he would reel the lure back in. I'm sure we were just dragging the lure on the bottom as he can't reel very fast. After about 15 minutes we got a solid hit. I don't know if my son even realized that the fish was on, but I was cheering and telling him to reel. Shortly after we landed a beautiful 21" native rainbow. My son was very excited when he saw the fish splash in the water. He had a huge smile on his face (which is extremely rare for him). He waved goodbye to him as we watched the trout swim away.

We spent the next few hours throwing rocks in the creek. It was a great day.

I have never cried while fishing before.

Reactions: waco, tomriker, cowboysfan and 3 others
bass
bass
That is a very moving story. I am sure your son will always remember that day with you and that fish. Thanks for sharing your story and reminding me that fishing is sometimes more than just about seeing how many fish or how big of a fish I can catch. I think I will try and take the kids out this weekend. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

C
chrisohm
Some people do not deserve the title of "World's Best Dad", but you do. He will remember that for the rest of his life. The fact that it wasn't some trout farm but a real body of water and that size of a fish! I tip my hat to you sir. You have some good Karma on your side, keep it that way. I wish the best for your son and you.

Reactions: wozniasm
A
alm21
That is terrific. A very deserving reward for both of you. In fishing, nothing tops catching fish with your kids. It's a shared experience that lasts a lifetime. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: eggs
W
wozniasm
Beautiful! That moment will last forever for both of you!
I'd say what you did was THE "definition" of being a Dad!

D
dtikey
That is awsome sir and you are a great defanition of sportsman and father.Very moving!!!

S
steelhead_slayer
what a great story. thanks for sharing. glad you guys landed a nice one

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thank you. As sentimental tears trickle down these weathered cheeks I can envision you and your son in your moment of joy. Thank you.

E
eggs
Wow great story!

Reactions: wozniasm
C
ChezJfrey
Yes! Great story and holy moly! A 21 incher?! Nice work, dad and son! A good memory there, for sure.

S
SquidHC
Thanks for all the responses. It's been incredibly hard on me. I don't think he even knows he's leaving.

Best wishes all.

T
Toyracer38
Thanks for sharing your wonderful story. Well done Sir! Hope things work out for ya and you two land many more!

C
Coastaldweller
I hope you got lots of pictures. Great story, sir!

S
Stealy
What a beautiful story and great finish for a father and son. Wish you and your son the best luck.

troutdude
troutdude
Wow. That's one of the best stories that I have ever read on here. Kudos to you pops.

H
halibuthitman
sometimes fate smiles at destiny.. and magic happens, sometimes we need to catch a fish, the mountains, trees, cool running water, all meld to form a perfect enviroment of happiness... but sometimes we need a fish... its symbolic, Im proud of this trout that allowed your son to feel victory, I hope you honor it with a realistic mount or something.. it has no idea as it swims in eagle creek what it did.. I wish we could give fish medals or something.. healing and memories and the feeling of victory or defeat.. its amazing the gifts these creatures bring us, I will always honor them. You have never cried while fishing, and Ive never cried while reading this forum... sounds like there are a lot of firsts going around today- Tight lines

S
steel Head
I read this to my wife and she was truly touched such an amazing thing as said above its symbolic. now she realizes why I fish and why I always fish when I had a bad day its therapy for me and many others

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
sometimes fate smiles at destiny.. and magic happens, sometimes we need to catch a fish, the mountains, trees, cool running water, all meld to form a perfect enviroment of happiness... but sometimes we need a fish... its symbolic, Im proud of this trout that allowed your son to feel victory, I hope you honor it with a realistic mount or something.. it has no idea as it swims in eagle creek what it did.. I wish we could give fish medals or something.. healing and memories and the feeling of victory or defeat.. its amazing the gifts these creatures bring us, I will always honor them. You have never cried while fishing, and Ive never cried while reading this forum... sounds like there are a lot of firsts going around today- Tight lines
:clap:

C
cowboysfan
It is so good to hear that you had that day to remember, I thank you for sharing it with all of us. I too had sent my children away to live with their mother in Hawaii when they were 1,3,and 4 years of age, I remember going to my mothers the last day and asking her " Mom what should I do with My girls for the last night I was going to have with them that would leave a lasting memory"? She told to just be with them. My Girls are 24,26, &27 now and I remember the middle girl Tiahna telling me on that night "daddy watch me",as she spun around in circles getting dizzy! I know that may not sound like much to most,but for Me it was just one moment that stuck with me, She was so proud of herself and so happy not understanding what was about to take place. It was 8 years before I got to see them again, But to this day I have never forgot that moment with Tiahna. I hope that moment in time with your son will live you the same that mine lived with me!

J
jabs67
Very touching!!! Thanks for sharing.