(Steelhead) Great Lakes guy v Pac NW guy

F
FlyBum
This pretty much sums up the debate of Great Lakes run Rainbow Trout versus Pacific Northwest Steelhead :lol:

[video]http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7674161/great-lakes-guy-v-pacific-northwest-guy[/video]

Last edited:
Reactions: brandon4455 and OnTheFly
brandon4455
brandon4455
great lakes fish can't compare to ours.. :lol:

M
markasd
I had to share that.. funny, too funny.

C
ChezJfrey
Yeah, but that NW guy is probably a dirty nympher....

F
FishNinja
Whatever happened to this being a family friendly site?

brandon4455
brandon4455
ChezJfrey said:
dude,nymphing totally slays the steel :lol:

F
FlyBum
ChezJfrey said:

Don't pass judgment on me. I totally Slay the Steel ether way, think I caught more fish on the swing. :)

C
ChezJfrey
FlyBum said:
Don't pass judgment on me. I totally Slay the Steel ether way, think I caught more fish on the swing. :)

I was just kiddin' around...it was a reference to another one of those types of videos with a 'debate' about swinging versus nymphing...those things crack me up because the arguments contained are so true-to-life ;)

F
FlyBum
ChezJfrey said:
I was just kiddin' around...it was a reference to another one of those types of videos with a 'debate' about swinging versus nymphing...those things crack me up because the arguments contained are so true-to-life ;)

I know, too bad it's hard for me to display sarcasm across the net. Either way it's fun to get that pull. "The tug is the Drug for Me!" :)

O
OnTheFly
Yeah......those cartoons are funny. The same argument could have taken place between a fisherman from New Zealand. Steelhead from Northern California were transplanted there in the late 1800's and early 1990's and have thrived ever since. They don't call them 'steelhead', just trout. The Tongariro is world known much like our Deschutes but the fish there drop back into Lake Taupo after spawning. Below is a Tonga Trout.

• Tongariro trout.jpg
Last edited:
F
FlyBum
OnTheFly said:
Yeah......those cartoons are funny. The same argument could have taken place between a fisherman from New Zealand. Steelhead from Northern California were transplanted there in the late 1800's and early 1990's and have thrived ever since. They don't call them 'steelhead', just trout. The Tongariro is world known much like our Deschutes but the fish there drop back into Lake Taupo after spawning.

So........They actually call them what they are (and *have become*) over in the NZ!?! That's brilliant! :)

Anybody ever hear of Smoltification?????? :)

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
They are steelhead and sometimes perhaps some Kiwi's call them that. I never heard them called 'Steelhead ' when I was there but non the less, they are our fish. Our steelhead fish.

F
FlyBum
OnTheFly said:
They are steelhead and sometimes perhaps some Kiwi's call them that. I never heard them called 'Steelhead ' when I was there but non the less, they are our fish. Our steelhead fish.

Ya, but they don't go to the Ocean??

O
OnTheFly
FlyBum said:
Ya, but they don't go to the Ocean??
I guess it could be a grey area we're talking about here. As we all know steelhead and trout are the same right? OK...so.. a steelhead is classified as an anadromous fish which is born in fresh and migrates to salt and back again. So now, if we introduce a steelhead trout into waters without ocean access is it not a steelhead? Or is it we can't call it that anymore? I know what your saying but I can't figure out where the line is here.

O
OnTheFly
Tell you what...referring to your post #11, how about we take the word 'are' and instead say 'have become'.:think:;)

F
FlyBum
OnTheFly said:
Tell you what...referring to your post #11, how about we take the word 'are' and instead say 'have become'.:think:;)

There, is that better? Let's talk about Smoltification. The process in which fish undergo as the migrate from fresh water to salt water.

O
OnTheFly
Ok...let's talk about smoltification. go on......

F
FlyBum
With fresh water to fresh water migration there is no smoltification process that has taken place, so these fish have never seen the salt. There for Rainbows. Steelhead have seen and been in salt water.

O
OnTheFly
FlyBum said:
With fresh water to fresh water migration there is no smoltification process that has taken place, so these fish have never seen the salt. There for Rainbows. Steelhead have seen and been in salt water.
In a minute I'm going to find and post a picture of my sister holding up a Taupo trout that has clearly gone through a metabolic change due to spawning. Smoltification does not have anything to do with the strain of transplanted steelhead trout we're talking about. Just because they haven't lived in salt water doesn't mean they're not capable of it. Let's say we take New Zealand smolt and place them into the Wilson. Are you saying they will not be able to enter salt water because they cannot smoltificate. (and i know you're laughing at that word)

F
FlyBum
I don't care what they look like, it is their ability to breath Salt water.