(Steelhead) Great Lakes guy v Pac NW guy

F
FlyBum
Wasn't popping my top, just trying to get your attention. Thought I'd try a different method. Do you hear me now? Just say'n :)

O
OnTheFly
FlyBum said:
Wasn't popping my top, just trying to get your attention. Thought I'd try a different method. Do you hear me now? Just say'n :)
Yeah I heard you but you didn't need to burn my ears to get my attention.:rolleyes: Anyhoot, I found the pic of my dad's fish but not the spawner. I'm still looking. In the mean time here's something you can wrap your mind around....those NZ lake run steelhead rainbow trout that grow to the size of our summer fish,......well....they come up for dry flies!:shock:

F
FlyBum
Cool sounding more and more like trout to me. The other month I had a Steelhead come up for a dead drifted dry on the John Day, and the other week I had trout come up for the dry on the Fall River. On the Metolius I've seen Bull Trout come up for the dry as well. Fish aren't all that smart. They'll hit anything if enticed in the proper manner. :)

Chromatose
Chromatose
Since I fish Both East Coast & West Coast Waters I thought I would Post this from the East Coast. The names have been blanked out. I was not with these folks. But what ever you want to call it. This looks like fun to me! Great Job by this Lady!!!!!

""""""""""""""""""""""******* and ***** fished with me for 2 days at the end of January1 2012-Day 1 saw 1200CFS and mid 20's for temps,day 2 water dropped to 900cfs with same air temps! The bite was somwhat some both days-we really had to work on our drift's to entice the fish to bite! After putting on a pink worm (day 2) ******** made 2 drift's and hooked/fought/released what would become the BIGGEST Steelhead of my season-truely a fish of a lifetime!
BTW,She landed this Trophy Steelhead on 5lb. tippet!! """"""""""""""""""""""""""

1-25-12-Melissa.png

What Were You Doing January 1st?

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
wow Thats a monster lake run trout

F
FlyBum
It is a nice fish but not a great fish, She is stiff-arming it and she has man-hands, or not, just looks like it. Really nice for a bow! Seen plenty of those in the Hatchery Tanks around this area, too :) And on 5lb. tippet pretty troutie! That's the thing with hatchery missed clips, or do they mark their fish differently. Still from hatch stock though (see debate hatch v. wild) They just don't pull as hard!

brandon4455
brandon4455
:lol: i always knew wild fish fought harder, i had felt the difference in salmon and trout over the years and this january i hooked two steelies on the fly in one day,both came close but popped off. the native peeled my drag and snapped my 10lb tipper (estimated 12-14lb fish) and the 7-8lb hatchery fish fought for about 3-4 minutes,gave a few good runs and that was it. theres a difference for sure. i would rather fight a wild fish any day

H
halibuthitman
1. that fish is a gross boot.. 5 lb tippet is no big deal becouse it didn't fight much being 75% dead and with 20 degree air temps.
2. that is a photo shopped photo
3. still doesn't give any credibility to the "name" arguement
4. no matter how big of a fish is posted from the mid-west they are never going to even begin to come close to the average sizes or record sizes of the west coast. for instance.. in the midwest record holding organizations claim steelhead in the 19-22 lb range as the states record... Alaskas fish was 42 lbs washingtons fish is in the 40 class, Idaho is in the 30 lb class as is oregon..... 10 to 20 lb difference is... well, almost a whole steelhead alley "record Hawg"
I would like to finish by sayin nice fish anyway.... but its not, its a burned out boot that never should have been removed from the water.. I bet she ate it-

Chromatose
Chromatose
Really guy`s???? I mean really? Seems to me that FUN is the name of the game. I can not verify for the photo`s authenticity, but more was trying to just make a post that just shows fishing fun. I can see now why Chuck ( Troutski ) has bowed out of this forum. Have FUN Fishing Ladies and Gentlemen, because at the end of it all that is really what it is all about.

B
bigsteel
Chromatose said:
Really guy`s???? I mean really? Seems to me that FUN is the name of the game. I can not verify for the photo`s authenticity, but more was trying to just make a post that just shows fishing fun. I can see now why Chuck ( Troutski ) has bowed out of this forum. Have FUN Fishing Ladies and Gentlemen, because at the end of it all that is really what it is all about.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

H
halibuthitman
well, frankly I thought most of you that know jim and I have been commenting ridiculously in this thread for fun... becouse its boring around here.. I don't care what anybody calls a fish... we have been mocking this whole debate the whole time, you see, jim and I have been having " fun " -good fishing

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
well, frankly I thought most of you that know jim and I have been commenting ridiculously in this thread for fun... becouse its boring around here.. I don't care what anybody calls a fish... we have been mocking this whole debate the whole time, you see, jim and I have been having " fun " -good fishing
Hey man....I was serious about the trip to Mars analogy......:lol:

brandon4455
brandon4455
:lol:

F
FlyBum
halibuthitman said:

I'm pretty bored as well! I'm in the middle of moving to a new place in town, hopefully finishing up on Saturday. That means there has been no fishing or tying. :confused: So I thought I'd pick a side and argue it out in a good ol' college class debate. :)

They're still not Steelhead :tongue: