Spinning rod

C
cams-76
i am wanting to use jigs and bobber in the rivers around coos bay. i tried using my bait caster set up last year and kept backlashing. i think it was due to the set up being light. i want to get a spinning setup. what action would i want to steelhead fish with off the bank? im thinking 8'6'' or 9'.

S
steelhead_stalkers
9'6", 6-10 lb rod for float fishing from the bank. Maybe even a 10'0" float rod. Either of these in spinning would get the job done. Most of the rivers in your area for winter steelhead are small if you are bank fishing!

C
cams-76
What action should i get? I know i need a medium but some rods have fast action etc.

B
bootpdx
cams-76 said:
What action should i get? I know i need a medium but some rods have fast action etc.

Cam- I just started steelhead fishing and just got a spinning setup - it's a 9'6" medium light action berkely spinning rod - think it was like $89 bucks plus a Shimano Symetre 3000 that ran me about $100+ It's a sweet rod!

S
steelie_killa
IDK bout the berkley rod, i broke 2 on a hook set last year. Thats when i decided to invest in the higher end lamiglas rods, anything breaks i take it back on warranty, that is if i didn't neglected my pole.

C
cams-76
I found a combo at bimart with an okuma reel and a nw x rod for $60. 8'6" ml. Also looking at okuma celilo rods. Size 35 or 40reel looks like what i need

R
rum runner
9'6-10 med fast action...... i have a 10' with 12lb main line and 8-10lb leaders you can get a okuma sst with reel for like $80 at bimart.

S
steelhead_stalkers
steelie_killa said:
IDK bout the berkley rod, i broke 2 on a hook set last year. Thats when i decided to invest in the higher end lamiglas rods, anything breaks i take it back on warranty, that is if i didn't neglected my pole.

I read the first part of the post and then thought it was funny you purchase a lamiglas. The upper end ones are known for breaking! True about the warranty though as they will take care of you if something happens. I had the opposite experience with the berkley rods as they fished great for me and its still not broke after six years. Lamiglas makes some cheap china made rods now and I have heard good things about them. Mike at Oregon Rod Reel and Tackle has a bunch you can check out.

S
steelie_killa
They seem pretty good to me....but I've also thought bout nfc blanks...only thing holding me back on those is i already got my si and pretty happy with it...havent done me wrong yet..

C
cams-76
what is and okuma sst? and what is a nfc blank? what is an si? sorry im not up on this stuff that well.

S
steelie_killa
nfc-Northfork composite by Gary Loomis....i heard this is really good.
SI- Lamiglas si series...i already spent the money on this one, baitcasting model, luv it, got a xmg 50 for the spinning setup, kinda like it...thinking bout the nfc in a spinning setup, gotta wait till next year tho. lol

S
steelhead_stalkers
The SI is a good one and you should have no problems with it breaking. They are using the 3M resin to help with strength. I would be more careful with the XMG as they can be a little brittle. Impact damage is the blame for most of their breakage so just be gentle. Nork Fork Composites are sweet as well!

S
steelie_killa
How much are NFC blank u use for your poles? Imthinking bout wrapping one myself.

C
cams-76
i think im going to go with something like the okuma celilo or another basic rod for under $70 and an okuma reel for under $40 all from bimart.

S
steelhead_stalkers
The Berkley IM8 and the Okuma is a good choice.

R
rum runner
the sst and celilo are about the same i got a celilo 9'6 med action bait caster and fished the sst and they feal about the same the sst is a little better imo but about the same non the less.

C
cams-76
that sahara reel is a 25? i thought i would need a 40?

T
Throbbit _Shane
2500 is perfect size for Steelhead IMO. Also a great size for bass, trout, ect.

C
cams-76
im thinkin i might get one a little bigger than that so i can also use it for bobber fishing for the smaller kings in the rivers here in coos bay? Med light looks like what i need for a rod.