Spinning rod

C
cams-76
Ive got a shimano 2000 reel ive used for trout fishing a few times. i never thought to use it for steelhead i always thought it was too small. it says it will take 10lb test. maybe it will work

C
cams-76
Well I decided on an Okuma sst ml 9'6" spinning over the Berkeley buzz ima 9'6" medium spinning and okuma celilo 9'6" ml spinning.Also decided on an Okuma ignite 30 over a shimano sienna 25 for the real. Hope I made the right choice, they said I can return rod and reel up to 90 days.

C
cams-76
anyone have an opinion on this set up before i use it and cannot return it?

S
steelhead_stalkers
Should work just fine! :D

F
fishinshawn
cams-76 said:
anyone have an opinion on this set up before i use it and cannot return it?

Personally, I would return it. The SST's are an ok rod, but for the money you can do much better. Go down to englunds and get yourself a shimano clarus, they run about $99. Trust me I have went through just about every $100 rod you can buy before giving up and buying higher quality gear. IMO Shimano hit a homerun with the new updates to the Clarus line, IM8, decent cork handles, and lighter reel seat and eyes then the competition. The Clarus weighs in approximately half an ounce lighter then my $200 Lamiglas 1307, and it is sub-6oz. The rod is nimble and responsive and makes an SST look like an ugly stick.

As far as reels go it is really important to buy one you can take apart and oil and grease occasionally. I know the Okuma avenger series is not serviceable, and thought I had heard the same about the ignites. I would also recommend you get an okuma trio30s, for a bobber setup having a high speed reel is important, some with at least 6.0-1 gearing.

I started out just buying cheaper gear, as I started fishing more I found the cheaper stuff was breaking at least once a season, one year I went through 3 reels in one steelhead season, an avenger, a shimano seinna, and a shimano sonora. The cheaper rods are cheap for a reason....The okuma trio30s or 40s and the shimano clarus would be a really good set-up for you and would likely last you a long time. I understand if you can't afford it you can't afford it, thats what I always said" I just can't afford XXX, but let me tell you, you either pay a little at a time over the span of a season or two, or you pony up and spend a little more and buy a quality set-up that will last you quite awhile if taken care of.

S
Scott M
Just bought an Okuma IM 8 SST 9'6" with an AV-40b Okuma Avenger reel. I'll let you all know how I like it.

T
Tacomasteelheader
I know a guy who can tie rod blanks if any one needs a bad #ss rod tied like north fork, mhx, rainshadow, etc ill ask him and see if its cool to tie one up , hes pretty good on price......Pm for request.....north fork rods are light and sensitive i like what i have felt but havent fished one yett.....hope to fish one soon!!!!

S
Scott M
Get some pics of his work. I'd like to see one of his builds.

T
Tacomasteelheader
Scott M said:
Get some pics of his work. I'd like to see one of his builds.

Will do no prob.

T
Tacomasteelheader
I do not want to bash on this guys post , so should i start a new thread some where , sorry being a newb on this forum has its challenges lol :D

P
plumb2fish
I used to go through 2-3 rods a year and a reel or 2 a year as well....I finally ponied up and bought some higher end rods(spent more on rods than I did on my drift boat...lol). I hae ,due to my own fault, broken every one at one time or another...but because the mfgs stand behind the high end rods I have had them all replaced....btw I like GLoomis, but I think all high end rods have their perks....

Last edited:
B
bigboy70
i have a question this year i have seen a lot of guys with rods ranging in the 7 or 8 foot range they look like trout rods or bass rated 6-10lb test but idk they look like my bigger trout rod i got to cast farther off the bank and its an awesome trolling rod off my boat but stealhead never thought that was an option even though one time trolling north fork reservoir hooked in to a 8-10lb steelie chrome bright on a one peice 4.5ft ultra light shakesphere rod with a mirco spinning real so im thinking of turning my big trout rod into a steel head rod i was thinking about running 12-14 berekely fire line or the nanofil suggestions comments big fish are awesome to fight on smalle rods and this rod would be easy to carry around with my bait caster 8'6" med. heavy Lamiglas g1000 series with a shimano curado whichis my drift rod and was given to me so im def happy with that one had it for a few years guy who gave it to me bought the rod and the reel go home put them together put it in the closet and there it sat for 2 or 3 years so not sure how old the rod is im thinking atleast 7 years old but anyways do yall think the smaller setup would work out?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bigboy70-

sorry, your post made me think of this clip from the Simpsons...

as for a serious reply, I am still trying to make sure I understand your exact question...need more coffee first...

B
bigboy70
Lol sry I get a lil excited and stuff gets jumbled I have a rod that I got for trout its rated 6-10lb test and I want to turn it into a steelhead float rod and was thinking I could fit enough Berkeley fireline 14lb or use there nanofil it would strictly be q float rod its 7ft something and am asking am I crazy for thinking about doing this cause ive seen a lot of fishermen thus year with rods the same size going after salmon

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bigboy70 said:
Lol sry I get a lil excited and stuff gets jumbled I have a rod that I got for trout its rated 6-10lb test and I want to turn it into a steelhead float rod and was thinking I could fit enough Berkeley fireline 14lb or use there nanofil it would strictly be q float rod its 7ft something and am asking am I crazy for thinking about doing this cause ive seen a lot of fishermen thus year with rods the same size going after salmon

my 2cents:

why not? 6-10# sounds like a M rod, get it set-up and use it, if it isn't working, you will learn that by fishing with it, figure out what is OFF and adjust to a better set-up...whether that is a different rod or change in line...

I use a 7' MH (10-17#) IM-7 rod from Cabela's to catch Chinooks trolling, the spinning version of that exact rod is our favorite for catching coho on spinners, and I expect to try using both for winter steelhead this year.

I have tried the nanofil in 8 and 12# test and it really casts nice but it damages easy and loses strength after just a slight scrape...I am a big fan of normal braid in lakes and deeper water, 30# is great on medium spinning reels, it is the diameter of 8# mono and can take some damage, but people that fish in smaller water with ledges and such will explain how easy even 60# braid can get cut in those locations, I would think the toughest mono you can fit might be the best...cheers, roger

B
bigboy70
Thanks Roger and Shawn appreciate it a lot

-THE MASTER BAITER

B
bigboy70
yup roger your right im doing it lol i might run sime high vis 20lb braid thats what i have on my drift rod its nice and bright really easy to see and held up well i was drifting a a tailout wit a nasty ledge and braid held fine no fraying or anything idk still something to think about is the line

D
DrTheopolis
Lately, I've been running 8# Spiderwire mono, which was given to me one morning before setting out. Spooled up, and caught a late springer with it. I've had limited trips due to injury, but caught a fall chinook on the same spool.

Used it before, years ago when it came out. Works pretty well. Thin diameter, casts well, and doesn't seem to abrade too badly. Gotta test the knots ten ways to Sunday, but can't really complain.

BTW -- If you ever need to replace line on a budget, or need a spare spool for the boat/box, Ande Green is pretty good stuff as far as the low-end lines go. Like it much better than the cheap Berkely stuff. Makes strong knots, and casts well. Certainly not a high-end line, but the best of the cheap stuff, IMO.

B
bigboy70
Thanks ive been been thinking of buying nanofil 15lb spiderwire invisa braid or Berkeley pipeline or The stuff I have

D
DrTheopolis
There's often something to be said for the brand known as Already Paid For.