Spinners on the Clackamas

N
ninja2010
i've only talked to bill once, and he was nothing short of friendly and helpful. he showed me how to properly tie spinners and even chatted a bit about colors and sizes... and then we talked a bit about his cooners...

maybe he just had a bad day, or he might be on the rag or something... :lol::lol::lol: and gawd knows, we've all had sucky days and maybe bill isn't the kind of guy to put on a happy face for his customers... and wears his mood on his sleeve.

just my 2 cents.

F
Fishtopher
Simple as if you dont like the service, dont shop there. I know other websites have a rule that says something like if you are going to talk mess about another person/business, you must put your full name at the end of your post. Does O.F.F. have this rule anyone?

And since this spinners on the clackamas thread has evolved into state your opinion on Bill and his business, heres mine; I walked into that store with no knowledge of spinners what-so-ever, only have built three spinners with modified needle nose pliers, while I had caught only wild Steelhead never tagged one yet. He broke down spinner building componet by componet, pointed out some things I could do to make my pliers better (didn't even try to sell me on the ones he sells), pointed me towards some choice drifts on the clack, and told me "Even if youre not coming in to spend money, drop in to see what the fish are hitting, and where...". Fair enough. Sure exceeded the customer service at any other tackle shop I've been to. Since then I have taken the spinner building class, been shopping numerous times, and took him up a few times on the where and whats.
That long haired guy that works (edit: worked)there though kicked me out twice. Said I was a lingerer. I think he hid all the #5 bell bodies everytime he saw my truck pull in.:protest:;)

Jonesy McScrillagin

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
Dear Jonsey,

If you don't know by now the long hair guy don't work there no more. I have it on good athority that he is even meaner and surlier than bill was, and personally removed every #5 body when you pulled in and said "nope..have some in a few days". He would also steer people away from fish, into waste water marsh lands, and knows nothing about bait!

J.C. (Jose Cuervo)

And with that we will put an end to Bill bashing I hope..lets get back on track.

Last edited:
B
Bohemian
One more quick question...

One more quick question...

Does anyone use a float with spinners on Clackamas, or is that a method that isn't common here?

Thanks

O
osmosis
Its rare, but does happen. The problem is finding the right shape of a hole and position to stand to make it work right.
I know a guy that uses a 2liter bottle as a float and runs a clancy wobbler under it!

M
metalmania
I've been in there a million times and he's never been rude to me, or anyone else that was in there while I was. Sometimes he seems a bit stressed, but with all the work he does trying to build spinners, paint blades, stock shelves and often man the register, i can see why he might be just a little grouchy.

F
Fishtopher
Kodiak said:
Dear Jonsey,

If you don't know by now the long hair guy don't work there no more. I have it on good athority that he is even meaner and surlier than bill was, and personally removed every #5 body when you pulled in and said "nope..have some in a few days". He would also steer people away from fish, into waste water marsh lands, and knows nothing about bait!

J.C. (Jose Cuervo)

And with that we will put an end to Bill bashing I hope..lets get back on track.

I guess that dates me then. Ive been working 7 days a week selling this damned fruit. I have not been fishing since May. My forearm has shrivled up and I've developed muscle atrophy in my right arm. Sad sight to say the least. But, there is light at the end of tunnel...for fruit does not grow in Oregon year round...Tuesday is my last day of selling berries at the road side stand, and wait...I have the day off tomorrow. Hopefully my IM8 does not weigh too heavy on my poor shoulder...:)

B
beaverfan
So I tried my hand at Clack Summers this evening. Went just downstream fromt the mouth of Eagle Creek. Big mistake the trail from Bonnie Lure was overgrown and had stinging neddles all over the place. Got down there and found what I thought was some decent water but didn't get nothing in a couple hours fishing. Anyone familiar with the hole I'm talking about? It's about 200 yds below the mouth of Eagle Creek where there's some rapids and then a deeper fast moving pool along a the opposite bank. Am I right in thinking this could be a productive hole for Summers?

F
Fishtopher
There is a ledge on the opposite bank that looks like its probably 7-8ft deep next to it, if its the spot i think of. The only time I have fished in the last two months was at that spot, on last Sunday. 0-1 with the 1 coming on the flashing UV spinner over there in the corner, but mine was Orange, and had a treble hook, at exactly 9:16 a.m..

B
Bohemian
Got one this morning in that general area. I have gone to #3 size darker color spinner (as some of you recommended) at about 6:00 this morning.

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Way to go Bohemian! Fishtopher that's the spot. Good to know I was in an o.k. spot. So how the hell do you guys get in there? Is there an easier trail or something. The trail I went down looked like it hadn't been walked down in weeks. Anyone fish that little park just past Tong Rd, I think it's called Pidgeon Park or something?

O
osmosis
I walk straight down in the creek with my waders on to avoid the nettles. I go to river right of the big logjam.

(river right = bank on your starboard as you head downstream)

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Ya thats pretty much how we made it back last night. Just thought there might be a better trail or something. Might go back tomorrow evening and check it out some more.

F
Fishtopher
I wouldnt mind headin up there(or elsewhere) if there may be some other members attending...;)

M
meluvtrout
Fishtopher said:
I wouldnt mind headin up there(or elsewhere) if there may be some other members attending...;)

Sure, I'll break another rod with you! Do you want to go for an evenin' bite tomorrow?

O
osmosis
most of my fish out of that hole this year have come using a 1.5oz float and either eggs or a little black or black and red jig both at the ledge just out from the wall and on the seam towards where you stand of the heavy current. take a float rod with ya if you go.
Found a couple with #4 spinners tumbling right through the heavy crap there as well.

F
Fishtopher
meluvtrout said:
Sure, I'll break another rod with you! Do you want to go for an evenin' bite tomorrow?

Sounds good....maybe 5 or 6 till sundownish?

T
Troutier Bassier
Sundown

F
Fishtopher
No. Sundownish.

M
meluvtrout