Silverton Res Info

C
capblack
I saw some people asking for info on Silverton Res on here, and since I grew up less than a mile from there and spent my entire childhood fishing that res, except for when dad took me down the santiam, I thought I would put in my 2 cent worth.
First of all if your going to fish from a boat, try to get up the creek as far as possible, and bank fish, theres some very nice cutthroats in there. also the rock wall and anywhere towards the middle above the boat ramp is good. I saw the res when they let the water out for repairs, and the channel is from the inlet right down the oppisite bank above the bend. No more than 30 ft from the edge. Then when it comes around the bend, Its about middle of the res until it gets to the spillway.
If your bank fishing, anywhere to the left of the boat ramp as far as you can go is fine, and Ive seen people on the point doing pretty good when I was in a boat. a lot of people fish between the ramp and the spillway, but Ive never had much luck there, and its always crowded after they stock it. Its also very shallow towards the fence, you can wade across in the summer time.
As far as bait is concerned, stockers are all pretty generic, eggs, worms off the bottom if you blow them up to float, powert bait, spinners. If your going up stream for cutthroats, try spinners and drifting worms or eggs.
Hope this helps some of you, this is a very good place to take the kids, with them stocking it, and the restrooms and all. happy fishing, Brian

18406ej
18406ej
Thanks for sharing the info. I have been to Silverton several times with little luck, but it is a hard place to resist, being so close to Salem and all...

C
capblack
ej, I hope my info is as useful to you as your info about big cliff was to me. thanks again, and happy fishing, Brian

H
HOOPS
I love this lake. I fly fish off my pontoon boat. I always catch the bigger fish in the channel around the bend...and fishing deep. Green Wooley Buggers, Black WB's and interestingly enough White WB's got a lot of hits.

I didn't care for the barking dog at the house above the lake...and in the summer the rope swing by the spill over is packed with teens, loud music, cursing, beer drinking etc.

The best time to fish there is when it's still cold, cloudy and a little rainy. The weather keeps the riff raff away and the trout are more active too.

18406ej
18406ej
Hoops,

Thanks for the info. I will have to try some wet flies in the channel next time I go. Like I told Capblack, I have not had much luck at the Reservoir, but it is such a nice looking place, and so close to town that it is hard to stay away from.

Thanks again, and welcome to OFF- Are you going to do a brief intro under our "Meet and Greet" thread?