Striped bass questions

plumbertom
plumbertom
I've been hankering for some stripers lately.
I'm giving thought to fishing the Umpqua or maybe the Smith River, as I understand they are fairly established in both.
Anyone care to offer their knowledge about those rivers?
From what I can tell, looking at the Navionics charts, The best fishing areas are probably just a short run up either river from the Reedsport launch ramp. Maybe 3 miles up the Smith, or maybe 2 miles up the Umpqua.
One thing would be whether to take my boat or try bank fishing. I see on Google Maps that there is a parking area along Umpqua Hwy in the area I'm thinking of fishing. I see very little along the smith where I'd like to fish.
Anyone shore fish along there? Is there access to the water, or like most riverbanks here in Oregon, so choked with growth as to inaccessible?
I'd like to bank fish if possible, but can take my boat.
Overnighting in my jon boat is possible, as I've done it before on the Colorado River. In fact, that was what I originally traded for this boat to be able to use it there,
So, any help would great.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Hey Tom! I Fished the Sac. delta for stripers over 30yrs. This I do know; Stripers move fast, chase bait fish and school, When there there, there there. Ask the locals when the run/times starts day /night? I know nothing about the locations you speak of. Good Luck Tony

Reactions: plumbertom
Vintageflyguy
Vintageflyguy
Fished both a long time ago - but like you I have been having a hankerin for some striper action = that being said ther is some UTube videos about guys catching some shad up river and then using them for cut bait- I heard that the shad were up by Yellow creek and the video looked like the guy was up the Umpqua on the Nort side of the river shy of the elk viewing area...... the video is not recent but a place to start

plumbertom
plumbertom
Casting Call said:
Hey Tom! I Fished the Sac. delta for stripers over 30yrs. This I do know; Stripers move fast, chase bait fish and school, When there there, there there. Ask the locals when the run/times starts day /night? I know nothing about the locations you speak of. Good Luck Tony
Yeah, I've fished them in the Delta as well.
Last time, my group rented a 60' houseboat for a week. Really a great place to get lost in for a while that way.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Vintageflyguy said:
Fished both a long time ago - but like you I have been having a hankerin for some striper action = that being said ther is some UTube videos about guys catching some shad up river and then using them for cut bait- I heard that the shad were up by Yellow creek and the video looked like the guy was up the Umpqua on the Nort side of the river shy of the elk viewing area...... the video is not recent but a place to start
I tend to favor cut bait for stripers and because I don't have shad, if I go it'll probably cut sardines,

Casting Call
Casting Call
Tom....Cut sardine or white bucktail with pork rine is my go-to. for Stripers. Sardine are ocean going bait fish for Stripers. Sound familiar? Tony

plumbertom
plumbertom
Casting Call said:
Tom....Cut sardine or white bucktail with pork rine is my go-to. for Stripers. Sardine are ocean going bait fish for Stripers. Sound familiar? Tony
I used to live just 1/2 hour from Lake San Antonio in CA just outside of Paso Robles.
I actually lived at Lake Nascimento. Just a short distance away. In fact, there's one place on the road that runs between the two lakes where you can actually see both of them at the top of the drainage dividing ridge.
If you're not familiar with San Antonio, at the time I lived there it was the hottest Striped bass lake in the state, with a good breeding population of landlocked Stripers, along with large and small mouth bass, plentiful large Crappie, other sunfish, and of course, channel catfish.
It wasn't at all unusual to run over to S.A. and drop bait for a couple of hours and bring home a limit of good-sized (5-10 lb) Stripers. Largest for me there was a 35 lber. Still my personal best Stripe.
In fact, my profile pic is me holdeing a couple of San Antonio Stripers.
And heres my grandson holding up his first Striper, caught from San Antonio.
0731121608.jpg
0626130706a.jpg

Reactions: Vintageflyguy
D
DonF
Bank fishing or boat. If there was room for a boat and it was legal it would be boat for me every time. ust can't move well enough on a lot of banks and with a boat access becomes wide open! I've never caught a stripper but ate some one time. It was really good. Got it at a friends in Vargina. He used soft shell crabs for bait!

Reactions: Snopro and plumbertom
S
Snopro
Casting Call
Casting Call
S
Snopro
Casting Call said:
Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone how good it was. Tony
šŸ¤£