Siltcoos and Tahkenitch

D
diggindan
Thuggin4Life said:
not to fast. if you come across a shallow weed bed just pick you rod up. best thing is to not use rod holders and just hold it. good luck out there man.

Thanks, we're almost on the road.

W
windburnt
way to go guys. i never doubted there were fish there... they just hiding in the weeds...eheheh:)

J
JeannaJigs
windburnt said:
way to go guys. i never doubted there were fish there... they just hiding in the weeds...eheheh:)
You go with us next weekend, I will get you into a fish. :)

W
windburnt
JeannaJigs said:
You go with us next weekend, I will get you into a fish. :)

sounds like a plan.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Looks like pretty easy fishing! If its anything like tidewater, we might target it for the state record!

T
Thuggin4Life
It's nothing like tidewater. State record? Very possible. Maybe more possible this year. I think a new record may have been caught and fed to the seals already this year. 2 weeks ago a guy showed me a picture of a huge I mean huge silver he fed to a seal.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I know its not like tidewater, its even more confined, shallow. Should be fun! We hooked many 20+ lb coho already this year just going by lenght and girth, so there should be some hogs in there :)

T
Thuggin4Life
Not to metion rumor has it that the returning fish have had the best ocean conditions compared to previous years. Wouldn't suprise me if someone got one from what i have heard.

T
Thuggin4Life
Finnaly my camera and computer decided to put there differences aside and get along. Here are some more pictures of the aftermath of sunday's trip. not a bad fillet job since the first time I did it was 2 years ago and this was my 2nd time. managed to get double prizes out of my fish so I have some plunking roe curing up and made some really good breaded coho. The secret is to roll them in flour and seasoning then dunk them in an egg wash followed by rolling them in flour ritz cracker crumbs and seasoned bread crumbs. Man the were good but i deep fried them instead of pan frying them in butter and they weren't as good. Then because i never have tarter sauce I mix up a random combination of things like ranch, huney mustard, A1, teriyaki, and miracle whip that might be better than tarter sauce. Got some meat marinating in a kinda teriyaki and brown sugar marinate for dinner tommorrow. Can't wait for the next fish. Into the smoker it goes.

D
diggindan
Day at Siltcoos

Day at Siltcoos

My wife and I spent about 8 hours on the water today.
See report under trout fishing.
Cheers, Dan

J
JeannaJigs
steelhead_stalkers said:
Looks like pretty easy fishing! If its anything like tidewater, we might target it for the state record!

Not as easy as one might think, it's an entirely different game. Tidewater tactics won't work. State record weeds are promised, state record fish...might exist, but finding said fish, is another story, I've been trying for 6 years! They scatter and are forever on the move after about the first week of November, and it's the largest coastal lake in the state, so having large numbers in a small confined place...only happens a brief period of time.

S
steelhead_stalkers
We have many tricks that produced 20+ (not hooked, landed) fish days in tidewater and many other tricks that will produce in Siltcoos, no worries. Salmon will find distinct holding places even in a lake and I had a similar lake area I fished a lot in California :D

Last edited:
T
Teo
Attractors?

Attractors?

I was wondering if any of you use attractors like a ford fender when trolling in these lakes for coho, or any other fish? What lures might you use, and what size?

Teo

J
JeannaJigs
Teo said:
I was wondering if any of you use attractors like a ford fender when trolling in these lakes for coho, or any other fish? What lures might you use, and what size?

Teo

I never have, the fish are in the top 5 feet, and i run my lure about 3 feet..so it's in their face. I use wigglers in the middle size and k11 kwikfish primarily, but sometimes will toss a spinner in.

T
Thuggin4Life
J
JeannaJigs
T
Thuggin4Life
Guides Forcast

Guides Forcast

"Coho are in at Tahkenitch but remain concentrated near the outlet. No fishing is allowed below the Highway 101 Bridge. The dam opened on the 17th."

J
JeannaJigs
Thuggin4Life said:
"Coho are in at Tahkenitch but remain concentrated near the outlet. No fishing is allowed below the Highway 101 Bridge. The dam opened on the 17th."

If I wasn't hurtin' so bad, I'd be out there tomorrow, with all this rain today it should be good. Tahkenitch has always produced better for me than Siltcoos.

T
Thuggin4Life
So on Sunday you want to try to go to taknak instead of silly?

T
Thuggin4Life
Oh I went walmart and exchanged the gas can. Thinking I'm going to clean ot my 6 gallon can and start using it and maybe just keep regular gas in the 5 gallon can for whatever. Seem like the pour can for a spare boat can has been a bad idea since june I have exchanged 2.