Siltcoos and Tahkenitch

M
Mike123
Uhm anyways... Siltcoos and Tahkenitch lakes... yup...
Has anyone fished it yet?

T
Thuggin4Life
towne821 said:
I would think the salmon and cutthroat are OK to eat with the blue green

algea,

they are only in the lake for a short time.

the trout are the ones to worry about.

my freind has a house on N. loftus Rd and they tell me the algea is a 10 year

cycle.

there neighbor has lived in Florence for 6o years and he has kept/ate the

salmon during the algea cycle everytime it accures.

he's 90 now and still fishin' and kickin'

That makes sense to me. I ate a bunch of trout out of Hills Creek right after they lifted an algea warning. Some of the best smoked trout I ever had. Anyone know a spot to get cheep submersable trailer lights. Need to fix my boat trailer or I might not make it out to the lakes this year.

C
Chedster
Mike123 said:

My dad is fishing Siltcoos today, as for me I have too much school work today so i missed out. He said he was going to fish herring and spinners. I heard plugs work good in the lake but not sure if he has any. He fished Alaska for ten years so it will be interesting if he can convert and produce on Oregon waters. I'll report later on if he got any early coho.

J
JeannaJigs
I went over there this morning, but have been battling an ear infection all week but against better judgement decided I had to get out of the house. The vertigo set in and I had to come home and I'm hoping it eases up by Friday. Fished the 'slaw, but not Siltcoos, though I checked out the river, and there is definitely a coho presence. They were jumping all over the place, and STACKED at the dam. There were only 3 trailers in the west lake lot...I'd like to know if they were marking anything out there. I really don't think there's much going on in the lake itself at this point...they're all in the river. But it's supposed to rain starting tomorrow for the next week, so they'll start moving.

Learn also from my lesson, do not stop to use a USFS bathroom, unless you pay the $5 day use fee, no matter if you're only there for 2 minutes to pee. It will cost you $75 if you get a rookie officer his first day on the job. He did give me a thing to send in and if I get the annual pass, for 30 bucks, the $75 citation is dropped to zero, just have to pay for the pass within 14 dayds. Sucks either way. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go! I'd of paid it had I had cash on me, i'm not one to not pay day use fees.

Anddddddddd the lake is blue. Looks real good. No algae bloom. The river..eh...it's stagnant...but when they open the dam, it'll flush out...it's always got some color, but, it'll improve when the water starts moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:

Going out Friday. Probably to Tahkenitch.

B
Bohemian
JeannaJigs said:
I went over there this morning, but have been battling an ear infection all week but against better judgement decided I had to get out of the house. The vertigo set in and I had to come home and I'm hoping it eases up by Friday.

Careful with that -- make sure you are all better when you go :naughty: !
I saw older guy fall in the Clackamas on Friday who told me he fell because of inner ear problems when I went over to help him. Take care,

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
Going out Friday. Probably to Tahkenitch.

Thanks for the update. :)

S
steelhead_stalkers
Can you fish the river? If so where are productive spots? Looks like a good place to mess around with some rattling jigs and floats. :)

M
Mike123
steelhead_stalkers said:
Can you fish the river? If so where are productive spots? Looks like a good place to mess around with some rattling jigs and floats. :)

You have to fish on the lake side of the highway... sucks... I'd love to fish the river section...

J
JeannaJigs
steelhead_stalkers said:
You can fish the river above the highway 101 bridge only. Fish below it and they'll write you a citation and take your gear. Saw it happen many times in previous years. It's real murky water with a lot of weeds, i'm not sure I'd run jigs or not, it's real snaggy with downed trees and such, and doesn't have a fast current even with outgoing tide. It's worth a try though

J
JeannaJigs
Bohemian said:
Careful with that -- make sure you are all better when you go :naughty: !
I saw older guy fall in the Clackamas on Friday who told me he fell because of inner ear problems when I went over to help him. Take care,

Yeah I had a sudden onset and almost fell in the drink, fortunately, it's slow moving warm water, and i'd be okay...but...it's not somethin' I want to happen when I stand up to fight a fish in a 12 foot aluminum boat that's not too stable to begin with. It's still persisting, so it better knock it off by friday.

T
Thuggin4Life
Hey were did those pics come from. Been trying to figure it out but nothing looks familar.

J
JeannaJigs
Thuggin4Life said:
Hey were did those pics come from. Been trying to figure it out but nothing looks familar.
The Siltcoos river, just before it hits the pacific.

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
You can fish the river above the highway 101 bridge only. Fish below it and they'll write you a citation and take your gear. Saw it happen many times in previous years. It's real murky water with a lot of weeds, i'm not sure I'd run jigs or not, it's real snaggy with downed trees and such, and doesn't have a fast current even with outgoing tide. It's worth a try though

Wait so can you fish East or West of the 101 hwy??? It's A north and south hwy.... :think:

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
Wait so can you fish East or West of the 101 hwy??? It's A north and south hwy.... :think:
Lol yea, sorry, clarification. Upriver of the 101 bridge is East, river flows South-Westerly, eventually meeting the Pacific. It's about 1/4 mile of fishable water, if you have a small boat you're better off than bank fishing it, it's almost exclusively private property.

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
Lol yea, sorry, clarification. Upriver of the 101 bridge is East, river flows South-Westerly, eventually meeting the Pacific. It's about 1/4 mile of fishable water, if you have a small boat you're better off than bank fishing it, it's almost exclusively private property.

So below the Siltcoos there is a road called Tyee.. it acceses all the fishable water.. is that all private?

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
So below the Siltcoos there is a road called Tyee.. it acceses all the fishable water.. is that all private?
The Tyee campground has the only public bank access. The Campground is closed, so you have to park at the gate, and walk in. There's several different spots to fish from, some better than others...super weedy area with stagnant foul lookin' water. My suggestion is either blue fox type lures in size #4 or a float and eggs. Depends also on the current, this is a tide effected river when the dam is open, current flips a 180 on incoming, and it's a pretty strong current, being only about 2 miles max from the ocean. As of now it's not open, so the current=zero and a spinner is gonna be the go to. I am hoping by the middle of the week they open the dam, but i doubt it's gonna happen.

G
grampa ron
Pitt Bull Stupidity

Pitt Bull Stupidity

Obviously Timber doesn't know much about dogs, let alone Pitt Bulls. He should watch the Dog Wisperer sometime. He got a whole pack of them. I hope Timber doesn't have any dogs himself, he would deserve it.

J
JeannaJigs
grampa ron said:
Obviously Timber doesn't know much about dogs, let alone Pitt Bulls. He should watch the Dog Wisperer sometime. He got a whole pack of them. I hope Timber doesn't have any dogs himself, he would deserve it.

Yeah, we've established that many of us didn't approve of the comment, definitely myself included...but this thread really can't head down that road..there's too much hostility and it's easy to let tempers flare...so let's just keep it to the coho in the lakes. Timber himself apologized for getting this thread off track.

T
Thuggin4Life
So if they don't open the gate I shouldn't waste my time on Siltcoos this weekend?