Salmon fall run!

F
fishaddict427
Hey im new to salmon fishing I hooked one like a week ago and I am hooked! I was curious when the fall run of salmon will run up the clack/sandy river if it is at all? Also was curious if anyone had time to talk and or meet up to discus more about salmon fishing? Or just fishing in general! Look forward to hearing from you guys!

S
seekanddestory
Iam glad you are hook on fishing hope you land lots of fish.

O
OnTheDrop
I'll be running guided trips this Fall on the North-Mid coast once it starts raining if you want in. Catching them in a drift boat is the best :)

S
seekanddestory
SteelmonKiller20 said:
I'll be running guided trips this Fall on the North-Mid coast once it starts raining if you want in. Catching them in a drift boat is the best :)
I will be in pm with your info

F
fishaddict427
How much a seat ? What would you charge for three seats? And thank you seek and destroy!

Reactions: jtadak
S
seekanddestory
Not sure

D
DrTheopolis
Not much of a fall run on those rivers, and what little there is should be left alone.

The good news is that the coastal streams have very good runs, and the timing of individual fisheries varies enough that you can chase them for the next few months.

F
fishaddict427
Sorry im a newbie so what coastal streams are you talking about? Columbia I know for sure but whatb other smaller ones at there ?

D
DrTheopolis
If you look at a map going down the north coast, pretty much all of them. Some of the "larger" small streams are the Necanicum, Nehalem/North Fork Nehalem, Wilson, Trask (with hatcheries, usually a good bet), Tillamook, Nestucca, Salmon, Siletz, and it keeps on going.

F
fishaddict427
Thank you so much for your time and knowledge! I caught mine on the clackamas catch and release big honker! The Wilson been producing? My buddy had some success on nestucca a couple of weeks ago two big salmon! I appreciate anything you have to share !

D
DrTheopolis
Sure. Up in the rivers themselves, salmon are done. Sure, they're in there -- old springers. You can't keep them (most places), and you wouldn't want to even if you could.

Right now, we're kind of in limbo, waiting on the rains (and cooler water). If you have a boat, there's plenty of fish to chase, although it's just getting started (besides the ocean). Not a whole lot of places to bank fish the bays, and it's tough going if you do... but it can certainly be done (the issue is more finding productive water that is close enough to get a good cast to). Over the next few weeks (depends a lot on the weather), Chinook will start working their way up the bays, and into the upper bays and lower river tidewater sections. This is where a bankie can start to target early season fish. Again, little bank access for most of it, but there's some around, including a couple of places that charge a few bucks for access.

My advice is to spend some time exploring. Find a river, and see what it takes to get to the lower river holes (on some, it's really not possible). I'll let you in on one non-secret -- there's a public dock near the mouth of the Tillamook River, where people toss big lures. Another key is many of those good tidewater bank spots are the domain of the locals, who are often very cool, but expect valley-dwellers to be on their best behavior in "their" spots... which is a reasonable request, IMO.

If you wanted to try to find tidewater access, my hints would be to head to Tillamook, Pacific City, or Lincoln City. You're still going to have to do some exploring, but you'll have a good time doing it.

Reactions: jtadak
B
bagold53
DrTheopolis said:
My advice is to spend some time exploring. Find a river, and see what it takes to get to the lower river holes (on some, it's really not possible). I'll let you in on one non-secret -- there's a public dock near the mouth of the Tillamook River, where people toss big lures. Another key is many of those good tidewater bank spots are the domain of the locals, who are often very cool, but expect valley-dwellers to be on their best behavior in "their" spots... which is a reasonable request, IMO.

If you wanted to try to find tidewater access, my hints would be to head to Tillamook, Pacific City, or Lincoln City. You're still going to have to do some exploring, but you'll have a good time doing it.

What he said. Been out on the rivers this summer to learn them a bit better myself.

T
troutmasta
DrTheopolis said:
Not much of a fall run on those rivers, and what little there is should be left alone.
Sandy river coho are plentiful and a great way to learn to salmon fish.

Fall nooks....I feel ya

J
jtadak
DrTheopolis said:
Sure. Up in the rivers themselves, salmon are done. Sure, they're in there -- old springers. You can't keep them (most places), and you wouldn't want to even if you could.

Right now, we're kind of in limbo, waiting on the rains (and cooler water). If you have a boat, there's plenty of fish to chase, although it's just getting started (besides the ocean). Not a whole lot of places to bank fish the bays, and it's tough going if you do... but it can certainly be done (the issue is more finding productive water that is close enough to get a good cast to). Over the next few weeks (depends a lot on the weather), Chinook will start working their way up the bays, and into the upper bays and lower river tidewater sections. This is where a bankie can start to target early season fish. Again, little bank access for most of it, but there's some around, including a couple of places that charge a few bucks for access.

You definitely seem like you know your stuff sir! I know exactly the spot you're talking about at Pacific City! I know a great spot near Beaver on the Nestucca as well. I can't wait for cool weather!

F
fishaddict427
Thanks for the heads up much appreciated! What up JK !!! I know its off topic but whats good to fish right now and where ha I got the fever!

J
jtadak
Haha, I'm thinking up the by coast is our best bet right now. Given even if the weather is nice here it's always cooler at the coast! I think we're SOL around here without a boat!

D
DrTheopolis
troutmasta said:
Sandy river coho are plentiful and a great way to learn to salmon fish.

Fall nooks....I feel ya

Oversight on my part. I rarely hit the Sandy, but I understand the coho don't get nearly as bas a case of lockjaw as their Clack brethren.

My advice to anyone hitting the Clack for silvers... don't. Tell yourself you're going after "late summers," or "early winters," then if you do hook one, you'll feel a sense of accomplishment, rather than the disappointment of not hooking the target species. Just a random crapshoot of the days/time of day those obnoxious suckers take an interest in anything.

D
DrTheopolis
jtadak said:
I know a great spot near Beaver on the Nestucca as well. I can't wait for cool weather!

Save that for after the second big rain (whenever that may be). First heavy rain usually gets them up into the tidewater stretches (which ends in Cloverdale on the Tuc), the second soaker usually gets them upstream.

Notice I said "usually"? Your results may vary.

J
jtadak
DrTheopolis said:
Oversight on my part. I rarely hit the Sandy, but I understand the coho don't get nearly as bas a case of lockjaw as their Clack brethren.

My advice to anyone hitting the Clack for silvers... don't. Tell yourself you're going after "late summers," or "early winters," then if you do hook one, you'll feel a sense of accomplishment, rather than the disappointment of not hooking the target species. Just a random crapshoot of the days/time of day those obnoxious suckers take an interest in anything.

This is great advice. I know they're few bright fish stuck at the dam on the Clackamas. But I do know one guy that is a true vet and he literally catches at least one fish in the short amount of time every time he goes down there! He's in the process of showing me his ways but I'm stunned every time I see him!

J
jtadak
DrTheopolis said:
Save that for after the second big rain (whenever that may be). First heavy rain usually gets them up into the tidewater stretches (which ends in Cloverdale on the Tuc), the second soaker usually gets them upstream.

Notice I said "usually"? Your results may vary.

This is also great advice! I know it's still hot but I'm very tempted to the Nestucca seeing the kings that have been pulled out of the exact spot I go to!