Red tails

B
bythesea
went out to siltcoos beach yesterday figured since I can't seem to catch any steelhead :confused:,, I'd give the beach a try caught a bunch of surf perch and did manage to get wet,,, again. I allways think I need to walk out just a little farther then I need to.I just use hip waders.......If I were to use my chest waders $$$ the boots would surely fill-up with sand do you think it would break down the neoprene stockings ???? I don't want to ruin them ( Sorry No pics )

P
Panfishmaster
I don't have any answers for the neoprene waders vs. sand issue. seems it would be pretty rough on them. Glad to hear the red tails are hungry. If I could ask, how were your rigging up for the red tails?

madasahab
madasahab
Hmmmm...I wonder if targeting them here in the LC area is too soon?

B
bythesea
Panfishmaster said:
I don't have any answers for the neoprene waders vs. sand issue. seems it would be pretty rough on them. Glad to hear the red tails are hungry. If I could ask, how were your rigging up for the red tails?

fish finder rig : I use either 1/0 or 2/0 hooks I just use the tail of the shrimp (sand shrimp) I can put the whole tail on with-out using thread and it stays on cast after cast....FISH-ON!!! DSCN0214.jpg

B
bythesea
madasahab said:
Hmmmm...I wonder if targeting them here in the LC area is too soon?

I think their around all year.up and down the coast.just find a good steep,sandy slope.

B
Born2Fish55
bythesea said:
I think their around all year.up and down the coast.just find a good steep,sandy slope.

Played with my homemade 'Slurp' gun... worked great with lots of nice plump Ghostshrimp waiting around to be sucked up!!!
Took a while to locate the Redtail on Clatsop Spit, but when I finally did.... the bite was on... limited in just over 1 hour and that was after gleaning for the nicer sized ones! Cannot wait for May and the Long Beach Surfperch Derby... good breakfast... good fishing... and great fun! Has anyone heard any word on it yet this year? Any of you going to participate in it?

B
bythesea
Born2Fish55 said:
Played with my homemade 'Slurp' gun... worked great with lots of nice plump Ghostshrimp waiting around to be sucked up!!!
Took a while to locate the Redtail on Clatsop Spit, but when I finally did.... the bite was on... limited in just over 1 hour and that was after gleaning for the nicer sized ones! Cannot wait for May and the Long Beach Surfperch Derby... good breakfast... good fishing... and great fun! Has anyone heard any word on it yet this year? Any of you going to participate in it?

sounds like you had a blast!!:dance: I love it when ya get into them like that,where is that you were fishing?? That derby sounds like some good fun. Is that long beach,Wa??

madasahab
madasahab
I want to give it a stab tomorrow...any suggestions?

B
bythesea
I went back out today brought home 10 a few hogs:cool: (for a surf perch) probably missed at least 20...madasahab to bad your not a little closer

madasahab
madasahab
bythesea said:
I went back out today brought home 10 a few hogs:cool: (for a surf perch) probably missed at least 20...madasahab to bad your not a little closer

this is true...where were you fishing?

B
bythesea
madasahab said:
this is true...where were you fishing?

same place I always go ,siltcoos beach it's close and I usually do pretty good there...I just got back from lincoln city stayed at the Inn @ Spanish Head for a couple nights and I was checking out the beach from the deck it looked like a good steep beach to fish from....my wife wouldn't let me take a pole though.:D....:naughty:

B
Born2Fish55
bythesea said:
sounds like you had a blast!!:dance: I love it when ya get into them like that,where is that you were fishing?? That derby sounds like some good fun. Is that long beach,Wa??

Yeah, Beautiful Long Beach, Washington... I have fished in it a couple of times and wanted to do it again this year... trying hard to get my bother-in-laws and nephews hooked... however most of them have been fixed bank-n-beer fisherman since the beginning... kicked back in a chair drinking a beer with my feet in cold mud just isn't what I consider to be fishing... :rolleyes:

BUT then again, a whole lot of people think I am on drugs when I am out wading, rock-hopping and ducking waves between rain showers just to catch a few fish isn't fishing either, however I like it :lol:

B
Born2Fish55
bythesea said:
went out to siltcoos beach yesterday figured since I can't seem to catch any steelhead :confused:,, I'd give the beach a try caught a bunch of surf perch and did manage to get wet,,, again. I allways think I need to walk out just a little farther then I need to.I just use hip waders.......If I were to use my chest waders $$$ the boots would surely fill-up with sand do you think it would break down the neoprene stockings ???? I don't want to ruin them ( Sorry No pics )

I keep all of my old waders for surf fishing... lots of patches (melting plastic worms do plug holes) and mends... and I buy used ones from Goodwill, Garage Sales, Estate Sales and Flea Markets... that or really cheap ones just because of the salt, sand and snags inherent with Surf fishing! If you wrap the gravels guards tight they seem to keep a lot of the sand out, but the silt does still get in there.

B
Born2Fish55
bythesea said:
same place I always go ,siltcoos beach it's close and I usually do pretty good there...I just got back from lincoln city stayed at the Inn @ Spanish Head for a couple nights and I was checking out the beach from the deck it looked like a good steep beach to fish from....my wife wouldn't let me take a pole though.:D....:naughty:

There is some good fishy water both above a below the point... good structure for both fishing from and in... the rocks themselves hold a good number of Rockfish and some of the areas to the North have some good Redtail holding/feeding water... if the water behaves and weather permits the channels between those little rock islands hold some big Ling that can be enticed to bite at times, but good luck playing them out of their holding grounds. The fish around there do much better if you use 'natural bait' from the area like crushed Mussels, Razor Clam necks and fish pieces like Anchovy, Herring and Smelt. Lightly hooked Rock Crabs with minimal weight are killer in the rocks as well. Learn to think like a fish around there and all of the good areas will jump out at you! :think: and the fishing will be fun and productive ;)

madasahab
madasahab
bythesea said:

Women...LOL...Well, I need to just get out and try. The surf should be low today, so I may try my luck in Taft at the mouth of the Siletz. I heard this was a decent spot.

T
Tinker
We've been having a lot of luck with Gulp! sandworms - the two-inch size, natural or camoflauge, and a bottle of Pro-Cure sand shrimp oil. We can usually catch five or six redtail before one of them gets the bait. Met a guy using mussels and he was hooking doubles.

B
bythesea
Tinker said:
We've been having a lot of luck with Gulp! sandworms - the two-inch size, natural or camoflauge, and a bottle of Pro-Cure sand shrimp oil. We can usually catch five or six redtail before one of them gets the bait. Met a guy using mussels and he was hooking doubles.

I went out last week got skunked I couldn't believe it.I'm glad to here you did well though.never tried the pro-cure on sandworms (gulp) people seem to swear by them but, I never seem to do that good on them.I'll stick with my sandshrimp.plus I like going out and pumping shrimp.

T
Tinker
bythesea said:
I went out last week got skunked I couldn't believe it.I'm glad to here you did well though.never tried the pro-cure on sandworms (gulp) people seem to swear by them but, I never seem to do that good on them.I'll stick with my sandshrimp.plus I like going out and pumping shrimp.

Well, ummm... this is embarassing, but I don't know how to harvest sand shrimp or find sand worms, and I never have anything to carry mussels in when I stumble onto the larger ones. So: Gulp! and Pro-Cure.

G
Geno
is there a lot of atv traffic at siltcoos ill be heading there on Saturday for a little fishing

B
BlueWater
There's a bunch of aftermarket gravel cuffs that do a reasonable job of keeping sand out of my boots. If the sand is too fine, some still gets in, but only a little. On normal sand, like sandbox sand, they keep me pretty clean. I'm sure Caddis makes a set. I think Simms, does too. Search Amazon.

Sand used to play heck on neoprene wet suits. Probably doesn't do modern neoprene a lot of good, either.