Powerbait?

H
HRxPaperStacks
Hey guys!
So... looking on Cabelas at their stuff that's just for salmon/steelhead and they show a few powerbait products (dough and eggs). Thinking about it, steelhead are just big rainbow trout. Has anyone had any success with powerbait?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Powerbait can be very productive as well as the other powerbait products. There are a lot of folks who turn their noses up at using it, but I have never paid much attention to the "looks" I get. :yikes: It does make a mess and can smell nasty. I always use the addition of the smelly oils. Give one or two a try and decide for yourself, then let us know...don't forget the pics, please. :)

H
HRxPaperStacks
I'm thinking about using the eggs... Hmmm...

D
DrTheopolis
Caught one that was dumped in a stocker pond on Powerbait many years ago.

Seems like it's just a smelly corky, right?

H
HRxPaperStacks
My thoughts exactly. I would think one would just use a decent sized dough hook and just drift it. Or maybe even plunk it.

hobster
hobster
It would probably work as well as a corkie drifting, but good luck keeping it on!

troutdude
troutdude
Just because you'd be drifting, or plunking, with a current...I'd recommend Power Eggs over Power Bait. The bait will slip OFF your hook (in current). But, the Eggs will stay on for a long while.

Good luck; and let us know how you do.

C
coyo7e
hobster said:
It would probably work as well as a corkie drifting, but good luck keeping it on!
Couldn't you use some old nylon stockings or cheesecloth and tie it up, like you would do when using clams and other soft baits on a surf-casting rig?

And as for eggs vs bait, eggs last longer (I often limit out on the same two power eggs) but you'll probably go through them just as fast or faster since there's less bait in the container. Eggs are far less messy though and I hate getting powerbait until my fingernails.. :D I imagine you could use Gulp! and other plastic+scented baits as well for salmon, and you can always buy some scent and add it yourself! :)

R
rian.kline.77
I've always had great luck using powerbait product I use yellow and green sometimes pink but there is many color options you can try but I suggest using the yellow .

A
alm21
Power Eggs are a nice change-up presentation. They aren't a secret killer but I have banked a couple steelhead using it in the mix. If you slide it above the hook, they stay on pretty darn good.

O
OnTheFly
Nobody can possibly be proud of themselves catching a steelhead on power bait. just say'n.

A
alm21
OnTheFly said:
Nobody can possibly be proud of themselves catching a steelhead on power bait. just say'n.

So someone shouldn't feel good about trying something different and being successful? Although I have never tried the doughy power bait for steelhead (I admit it would be funny), I see the Power Eggs not being all that different from Mad River Eggs with scent or pink Power Worms. Why limit the ways one can find success? Just say'n

O
OnTheFly
alm21 said:
Why limit the ways one can find success? Just say'n
Because catching a steelheasd on powerbait would not be a quality fishing experience in my opinion. Because fishing is more than just throwing a glob of dough bait at them. Because it's more rewarding catching fish with anything else than powerbait. Because if you hook into a fish with your own fly or spinner or egg cure that you tied or made, you have caught it with something unique and personal. So why limit success?.......because I would have a better fishing day catching just one steelhead on the swing than catching 10 on powerbait.

Last edited:
B
billfisher
:sad:

A
alm21
OnTheFly said:
Because catching a steelheasd on powerbait would not be a quality fishing experience in my opinion. Because fishing is more than just throwing a glob of dough bait at them. Because it's more rewarding catching fish with anything else than powerbait. Because if you hook into a fish with your own fly or spinner or egg cure that you tied or made, you have caught it with something unique and personal. So why limit success?.......because I would have a better fishing day catching just one steelhead on the swing than catching 10 on powerbait.

I guess I was being an arse and to each their own, right? Not that I'd be fishing for steelhead with powerbait but I'd high five someone who caught one using it because that would be some funny shizzle. For me, every steelhead, is a reward and catching them on homemade gear is just icing on the cake but the pride comes from knowing the work you put into catching one or many, regardless of presentation.

C_Run
C_Run
Several years ago there was an article in STS about using powerbait for steelhead. I never tried it but they were using the ones (don't know the name of the product) the shape of little marshmallows. I remember going out and buying the ones they wrote about but never did get around to using them. Two different shades of red if I remember right.

O
OnTheFly
Alright already...I'll come clean and tell the truth about my feelings for powerbait. I hate it.

J
JeannaJigs
OnTheFly said:
Alright already...I'll come clean and tell the truth about my feelings for powerbait. I hate it.

Haha I actually named my boat "Powerbait Not Allowed". I suppose the stuff could work for steelhead, but I too hate the stuff. It's great for getting kids into trout before they can adequately cast hardware, but meh, the stuff is gross. It won't stay on in any respectable current that a steelhead would call home, so the best bet is to roll with a bead or corkie.

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
Sir, you know nothing of pride...

S
steelhead_stalkers
I'm going to use red and white bobbers all next winter!