New to the dechutes

H
Honeycutt
Im goin to the Deschutes for the first time on friday i have no idea about this river i live in hillsboro. Any advice on where to go for bank access and if there is a fly shop somewhere on or near the river would b great, thanks.

Reactions: bigsteel
F
FlyBum
Man, the D is huge, you gotta be more specific about where you would like to go and what you would like to fish for.

brandon4455
brandon4455
go to the deschutes angler in maupin they should be able to help you out. pick up some PMD's(pale morning dun) and some small caddis. also there are still some salmonflies around so some of those would work too. have fun!! id offer bank access but ive only been to the d once

F
FlyBum
brandon4455 said:
..... there are still some salmonflies around so some of those would work too......

No there aren't. :(

brandon4455
brandon4455
FlyBum said:
No there aren't. :(

seen pictures of fish caught on salmonfly/stone dries on the 11th. so if the bugs are the the fish must just still be keyed in on them for now!!!

S
steelhead_slayer
FlyBum said:
Man, the D is huge, you gotta be more specific about where you would like to go and what you would like to fish for.

exactly what i was thinking

E
eggs
Big river... above sun river and the mouth are complete different hatches and times.. what section you fishing?

F
FlyBum
brandon4455 said:
seen pictures of fish caught on salmonfly/stone dries on the 11th. so if the bugs are the the fish must just still be keyed in on them for now!!!

Well duh you can still get 1 stupid fish but not a lot of them, but the salmon flies are long gone I've only heard of a few lingering stones, but we are now in that transition period where the caddis will become the most viable food source. But there is typically a two week period where the fishing really slows down. You need to fish the D more.