My first chinook ever and it was a brute!

B
Bgunder
Well I had yesterday off so me and a co-worker decided to make a trip down to Florence with his boat and see if we couldn't turn his luck around. Since he had made five or six trips down there with nothing to show for it so far he said his wife was starting to wonder about the whole salmon fishing thing..Lol. But I told him we needed to hit it bright and early so we didn't miss any hot bites since he hadn't put in before nine on any other trips. We arrived at the boat ramp at daybreak and were both excited, especially after reading Rodger's report from the day before. We put in and headed down towards the cg station while every other boat went the opposite way completely. This made us question our tactics and after trolling for a little while and not marking many fish we decided to shoot back up past the 101 bridge and start trolling up there. We headed up past marker 29 and across to keep heading up river, after trolling up stream for a while and not getting any hits or anything we turned and started back down stream towards the 29 marker. Before making it all the way back to the marker one of the rods finally went and my co-worker landed a nice little 19in coho jack which boosted our confidence a little that maybe we weren't doing everything wrong. Well around a half hour to 45minutes later just as I was once again second guessing what we were doing we see a big fish on the sonar and then one of the rods doubled over. I jumped up like somebody stuck me in the butt with a pitch fork and the fight was on. I instantly could tell this was a big fish so knew it had to be a nook. It started screaming line off the reel and made a couple 50-60 ft runs straight away from the boat before it turned and charged us. I reeled in as fast as I could but the line went slack and we thought we had lost it as did the two guys who were watching us. As I reel in the slack line I notice it going under the boat and a second later the tugging began again and my arm was starting to ache a little which is a awesome feeling. A few minutes more and he tired out and we had a beast in the net. Bonked and bled him and got him in the cooler (which he didn't fit in very well) We had one more take down after that which popped off 20 seconds into the fight. After a hour or so longer of trolling the gas tanks were running low since the motors are two stroke gas guzzlers and we didn't know if we were going to make it to the dock, the motor literally died as we slid up to the side of the dock. All in all it was a very memorable day on the water and my co-worker finally had some meat to take home. A nice gentleman in the parking lot weighed the fish for us with some sort of sophisticated looking scale and said it was 40lbs which I believe but I know how people are with fish weights so I'm sure some folks will have a difference of opinion. Either way it was a brute of a Chinook, not to mention my first one and my biggest fish ever.

• gutted 40 lb Nook.jpg
  • chrome nook.jpg
Reactions: fishinmachine, Raincatcher, Admin and 1 other person
E
eugene1
Great fish and story as well!

All I can say is that it looks like just about the perfect size, hog size that is. You guys should carry an extra can of fuel though to be on the safe side out there. Coming in on fumes will work for one time, but don't make a habit of it!

Keep it up, this is a great year to be getting out there as much as possible!

Congrats,

J
JeannaJigs
BRUTE. Awesome report. It's kinda sketch when you know you're gonna run out of gas LOL only had that happen once and visions of floating out to sea were kinda nerve racking, we too made it to the ramp but barely.

T
Tinker
I think it's in the teens and you're holding it real close to the camera! :) I know that trick...

Nice fish, Very nice fish! And I've been into fish and running on enpty more than once, myself. However, I couldn't be pulled away from the fishing and have rowed back to the dock more than once. Wisdom is not one of my strongest character traits... glad that it's one of yours.

Reactions: fishinmachine
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
What a way to seal the deal! You can't go wrong describing that fish as a brute, it is, for sure! I agree with eugene1 on the extra gas...gliding up to the dock is way to scary. Congrats on the "brute"! :hi:

troutdude
troutdude
You did not catch a nook.

Rather, that thing is a HOG! Oink Oink!

Well done; and great report. Congrats.

jamisonace
jamisonace
For future fish story's sake, go with guy carrying the scale:). That is a huge, beautiful fish. I haven't come close to anything like that this year

D
DYJ
Bigger than anything we boated this year, that's a nice first fish! Last trip out, we took my buddies drifter and had to take the tank apart and hold the pick up hose in the corner of the tank, tilting it to get every last drop. We made it to the doc with only tablespoons of gas to spare. So technically we didn't really run out....

T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice fish!!

JeannaJigs said:
BRUTE. Awesome report. It's kinda sketch when you know you're gonna run out of gas LOL only had that happen once and visions of floating out to sea were kinda nerve racking, we too made it to the ramp but barely.

And we made it back to the ramp with more then enough gas :D

Irishrover
Irishrover
Nice fish and a great post. I like your pitchfork line. That Siuslaw River seems to be producing well this year, there have been several good post about that fishery.

Last edited:
M
mikeredding
Right on man! You sure set the bar high. We nailed one close to 30# right in the same hole last weekend.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
sweet, I love that it charged the boat, we have had several do that this year, none to the extent that yours did but had us reeling in like crazy, and we have hooked the most nooks right between the 29 marker and the crane/dock where the barge used to be....did you ever measure the length? cheers, roger

B
Bgunder
rogerdodger said:
sweet, I love that it charged the boat, we have had several do that this year, none to the extent that yours did but had us reeling in like crazy, and we have hooked the most nooks right between the 29 marker and the crane/dock where the barge used to be....did you ever measure the length? cheers, roger
We tried to use my tape on my 15 pound scale to measure the length but it only goes up to 39in and the fish was well past that so my guess is maybe it was around 43in, but the width of it was what impressed me the most although I didn't measure it for some reason. Guess I got caught up in the moment..

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
wow, that is sweet, great pictures...

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Very nice PIG. :D

F
fishinmachine
Thats a porker! Nice fish.

B
Bgunder
Thanks guys

F
fishingduck
very nice. That's going to be a great memory...and meal

M
mikeee2362
fishingduck said:
very nice. That's going to be a great memory...and meal

MEALS...plural!!!

Being new to this forum, going through the archives is so awesome, I just can't get enough!!
Awesome story, epic fish!!