Lingcod were hungry!

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Fished off the rocks around Depoe Bay today and landed an undersized ling at 20" and a 23" keeper. Went and fished off the south jetty later and caught another undersized ling, a copper, a cabezon, and a black bass. Unfortunately only the black bass is legal. All on swimbaits. Lings are biting near shore, good luck all! IMG_1430.JPG

F
Fishpdx
It's the best time of year to target these fish!!! Especially the good warm weather and really small waves. Saturday April 2nd will have 3 foot swell!!!! I went the past two Saturdays and caught 4 over sized ling on the 19th and like 6 undersize lings. Next Saturday was little worse but still caught 2 legal lingcod, 1 was 30 inches and 2nd was 28 inches. All on Grubs!!! If your targeting rockfish use smaller jigs. If I have no luck with lings then I downsize my jigs and catch rockfish .
I use #40 braid and a 3 ounce jig head with either white or grayish color grub for lings, cast out wait till it hits bottom and reel slowly.
For rockfish I downsize to #12lb mono or braid I have two rods one with braid and other with mono, And use 3/4 ounce jighead with neon green or dark brown with red sparkles grub. Cast out and don't wait to hit the bottom wait like 3-4 seconds and start reeling, rockfish are higher than the bottom.
Works every time and in any weather! If surf is rough find places that are calmer and maybe go one size up with jigs.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I downsized to around a one ounce jig head and used gray swim baits yesterday but i never hooked a single bass. Are you using white curly tailed grubs? in like 2.5"? Also what grubs are you using? This is my first year really targeting bass and lingcod from the shore. Any hints are welcome, you can pm me if you want. thanks!

PK Yi
PK Yi
O. mykiss said:
Fished off the rocks around Depoe Bay today and landed an undersized ling at 20" and a 23" keeper. Went and fished off the south jetty later and caught another undersized ling, a copper, a cabezon, and a black bass. Unfortunately only the black bass is legal. All on swimbaits. Lings are biting near shore, good luck all! IMG_1430.JPG

I would love to hit depoe bay with you some day and try to catch my first ling cod, if you don't mind. they sound like a lot of fun.

F
Fishpdx
I will send pm with details!

F
fish4life
Carp said:
It's the best time of year to target these fish!!! Especially the good warm weather and really small waves. Saturday April 2nd will have 3 foot swell!!!! I went the past two Saturdays and caught 4 over sized ling on the 19th and like 6 undersize lings. Next Saturday was little worse but still caught 2 legal lingcod, 1 was 30 inches and 2nd was 28 inches. All on Grubs!!! If your targeting rockfish use smaller jigs. If I have no luck with lings then I downsize my jigs and catch rockfish .
I use #40 braid and a 3 ounce jig head with either white or grayish color grub for lings, cast out wait till it hits bottom and reel slowly.
For rockfish I downsize to #12lb mono or braid I have two rods one with braid and other with mono, And use 3/4 ounce jighead with neon green or dark brown with red sparkles grub. Cast out and don't wait to hit the bottom wait like 3-4 seconds and start reeling, rockfish are higher than the bottom.
Works every time and in any weather! If surf is rough find places that are calmer and maybe go one size up with jigs.

I did not think there was a upper length limit on lingcod.

F
Fishpdx
fish4life said:
I did not think there was a upper length limit on lingcod.

Lol I meant it was bigger then the size limit. Bigger than 22 inches.

F
fish4life
Ok, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything in the regs. Thank you for the clarification.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Hey Sammy, it would be cool to meet up try to get a lingcod or two. Im new at the game too but I know a little from boat fishing for them.