Garibaldi May 6 and 7, calm ocean and sun...at last!!!

F
Fishnsleep
It seemed like the winter would never end, rainy, windy, cold, and the ocean unsettled. Left the dock Saturday after the large morning tide swing, about 8:30 a.m. and headed to Three Arches, about 9 miles south of Garibaldi, with my friend Jim. There were several other boats and some charters fishing the reefs. It was a slow bite, we managed 4 bottom fish and one ling cod. I had heard the bite was hot for lings early in the week, but not on Saturday. Beautiful day on the ocean, but a tough day to find the biters.

On Sunday, I knew there was no way I was going south again. So…we went north, off of Manzanita. The bite was slow again, and as we were heading south to fish the “Dinner Reef” straight of the jetties, I saw an interesting looking reef on my Navionics. We stopped and quickly reached our ten fish limit for two people. Jim did this by getting two doubles in a row with nice sea bass. I got them one at a time, the hard way, lol. I marked the spot on my GPS, and am excited to return when I go back down to Garibaldi. Planning to travel down on Wednesday night, and fish Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, we will see if I have enough stamina for it. The nice thing is my travel trailer is already there, and I have a slip for my boat. The old days of driving 76 miles down and back and fishing all in one day are in the rear view mirror now.

Did not crab, have heard that crabbing is slow, they are in the clutch, meaning they are more interesting in mating than anything else. Talked to a few people who did, and they said it was slow, from zero to a couple of keepers per pot. A lot of small crab and female crab, which have to be released.

20230507Jim10_134224.jpg

Reactions: Diehard and Chromatose
Irishrover
Irishrover
Nice looking grade of fish! Going south, it's that return trip back north that is the problem, NW wind and swell. Fish tacos for dinner tonight.;)

Reactions: Chromatose
F
Fishnsleep
You are 100% correct, the wind was out of the south the entire weekend, so the ride back was actually smoother than the ride to Three Arches. Normally wind out of the N NW. Fish was very tasty:)