Hunting or fishing??

W
waco
So I got this from my wife last christmas and shot some targets but never really got into it, and I have been thinking for a while. Can I hunt too? I love to fish and all my spare time goes to fishing .should I make more time to practice some hunting too? Is hunting as good a fishing?
IMG217.jpg

E
eugene1
I respect people who do both. But for me, I got out of hunting to make more time for fishing. Seems like fishing has more action that hunting, well big game anyway.

It also takes a lot of time to practice on the bow, I've done that before.

Good luck,

R
RunWithSasquatch
Hunting can be just as addictive, and the rush that is created when you achieve your goal, and harvest the critter you're giving chase can far surpass fishing.

And the sustenance that you retain is top notch.

Since the seasons for hunting are defined seasonal dates that are much more confined than fishing, generally it requires all the time you can afford to tag out.

S
skunk
Your wife rocks waco! I do both, but mostly fish. I am saving for a bow now and I think that will replace fall nooks. Winter steel are my favorite, with summer trouting next. So that leaves spring and fall for hunting. I like spring bear and fall deer.

S
Spydeyrch
I am never been hunting before. It has intrigued me but I never took the step to actually go after anything. But then I started fly fishing and I no longer have an urge to go hunting. I kind of feel that fishing is better than hunting because I can have my cake and "eat" it too. :D

I can catch a fish and release it alive. Whereas with hunting, if I obtain my goal, the animal is dead. I am all about catch and release. :dance::clap:

-Spydey

W
waco
I notice, practicing with the bow takes time but very fun too, but I know isn't all there is a lot to learn!! How expensive hunting is?

R
RunWithSasquatch
One thing about hunting is that once you have your gear, if you have bought quality gear, you have it for life. And many pieces to hunting, IE binoculars have life time warranties. So once you're set up, you're set up, and can fine tune at your leisure.

Hunting License and Tags.

And then after that is just the fuel to get you where you need to be.

Like fishing, its hard to justify cost per lb of game, but some years are quick and done. It just has to be something you enjoy, and then the quality eats you get are a bonus!

P
PNW Sam
Like RWS said, the rewards from hunting can be immense.

Hunting is much harder (if you do it right), but if you kill an animal, especially elk, the reward is much much bigger than catching fish.

That being said, the amount of time you can chase elk with an over the counter tag is limited to either 4 or 7 days, and it's a month for deer (5 weekends for kids, 4 for adults). Those season time limits are for rifle hunters, but bow hunters get WAY more time to hunt, with multiple seasons instead of just one chunk of time. There are also cow/ doe tags that can give you a very good chance at getting an animal if you do some research and don't put in for the most popular tags.

But fishing is a guarantee that every year at some point you will get some sort of fish, and there are opportunities year-round.

The thrill of hunting and fishing are both very subjective, and it's hard to decide what one is overall more thrilling, more fun, or just plain better.

So long story short, it's really up to the individual what is better. If you had to choose one and you could never do the other that would take some serious thinking to decide.

I personally won't say what one I think is better, simply because I don't have to decide between them, and I never want to. :lol:

W
waco
RunWithSasquatch said:
One thing about hunting is that once you have your gear, if you have bought quality gear, you have it for life. And many pieces to hunting, IE binoculars have life time warranties. So once you're set up, you're set up, and can fine tune at your leisure.

Hunting License and Tags.

And then after that is just the fuel to get you where you need to be.

Like fishing, its hard to justify cost per lb of game, but some years are quick and done. It just has to be something you enjoy, and then the quality eats you get are a bonus!
I understand that!! And that's one of my problems how do I know if I'm going to enjoy it, if haven't done it before!!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Ive decided for my self to not try and choose which is better. I just take each for what they are, and enjoy what they both do for my life.

R
RunWithSasquatch
waco said:
I understand that!! And that's one of my problems how do I know if I'm going to enjoy it, if haven't done it before!!

Its a leap of faith I suppose. I was raised on it, so there was no trial and error for me.

It is a good sport to learn with an experienced person, and in turn they will help you along with gear, and the ins and the outs. I will say ethically, for you, and for the critter, its not a good thing to jump into wild-turkey.

Like fishing, there are miles of regs and ethical decisions to traverse.

Last edited:
P
PNW Sam
Yeah, turkey would be pretty much a disaster for someone to jump into haphazardly lol. It really does take hands on personal experience for someone to learn hunting the right way. Just way too many things to process and figure out on your own, and some situations could get dangerous quick when a firearm is involved.

I
igot_it
I've been fishing way longer than I have been hunting. I agree with RWS they both have an important place in my life. Hunting is more involved when you make the kill both because of the commitment to the work and the fact that you can't "throw it back". I was always respectful and grateful when I got a fish I could keep but a deer is a whole new thing. Coming up to an animal of that size and touching it.....the respect for that critter is just way higher. I never felt more connected to nature than when eating a deer that I shot. Speaking of that where is that jerky?..... I left it around here someplace.....

Reactions: RunWithSasquatch
T
Thuggin4Life
RunWithSasquatch said:
Ive decided for my self to not try and choose which is better. I just take each for what they are, and enjoy what they both do for my life.

Well said. Only problem with the serious angler is the seasons stack on top of hunting season. You can spend all day in the woods and not see an animal and your buddies boat caught a few limits and was home by noon.

T
Thuggin4Life
How is Turkey hunting so hard?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Thuggin4Life said:
Well said. Only problem with the serious angler is the seasons stack on top of hunting season. You can spend all day in the woods and not see an animal and your buddies boat caught a few limits and was home by noon.

Ive felt that in my chest many times dude. Its rough...

But it feels pretty good to text your buddy the pic of your bull elk you just took though...

R
RunWithSasquatch
Thuggin4Life said:
How is Turkey hunting so hard?

I was using wild-turkey as an expression.

P
PNW Sam
Turkey hunting is extremely hard unless you are experienced with it. They are really smart and hard to call in if you are a beginner. Of course there are stupid turkeys and lucky people, but on the whole it's not really the best thing for someone who is alone and just starting out. And if an clueless person full on body shoots a turkey that's nothing but bad.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Oh gotcha. Yeah I sent my buddy some fish pics the other day and after a few hours I get a big of his deer he got so I have been on the other end of that.

M
Mad dog
Thuggin4Life said:

A trophy animal has rewards all of it's own! You might spend days or weeks to finally call in a 1,000 lb., 6 pt. bull elk to within bow range. When you do....the reward can be unreal! Can't match that feeling with fishing! At the end of the day a fish is still just a fish....mostly pretty easy to catch!