Hunting or fishing??

M
Mad dog
Thuggin4Life said:
How is Turkey hunting so hard?

Have you ever hunted turkeys? Or just seen hand fed ones in peoples backyards?

Go out in the woods and call one in like you are supposed to....I bet you will find out it's not as easy as you think!

B
Boo
I strongly suggest you hook up with some one who is already a good bow hunter. Bow hunting is a whole bunch harder than modern firearms. With a rifle, or certain pistols, you don't have to get very close to the animal. With a bow you have to get really close. That takes a lot of skill and patience. I would not suggest any one try it without a good teacher.

T
the_intimidator03
As far as Waco saying how do you know if you are going to enjoy it or not? isn't that the pleasure of trying new things, so you can find out?

S
skunk
Mad dog said:
A trophy animal has rewards all of it's own! You might spend days or weeks to finally call in a 1,000 lb., 6 pt. bull elk to within bow range. When you do....the reward can be unreal! Can't match that feeling with fishing! At the end of the day a fish is still just a fish....mostly pretty easy to catch!

That!!!

W
waco
the_intimidator03 said:
As far as Waco saying how do you know if you are going to enjoy it or not? isn't that the pleasure of trying new things, so you can find out?
what I was actually trying to said is not that I don't like to do new things, the thing here is, I can't just jump into hunting not knowing if I'm going to enjoy it, I know hunting is expensive especially in the beginning!!! I just don't know how bad!!!

H
halibuthitman
waco said:
what I was actually trying to said is not that I don't like to do new things, the thing here is, I can't just jump into hunting not knowing if I'm going to enjoy it, I know hunting is expensive especially in the beginning!!! I just don't know how bad!!!
Bad... but worth it.

C
colbypearson
A trophy animal has rewards all of it's own! You might spend days or weeks to finally call in a 1,000 lb., 6 pt. bull elk to within bow range. When you do....the reward can be unreal! Can't match that feeling with fishing! At the end of the day a fish is still just a fish....mostly pretty easy to catch!

I havent killed a trophy animal but im gonna disagree with that post specifically with the can't match that feeling with fishing, its pretty relative to the person though. Because any time I catch a big fish and get to see it swim away the feeling is about as good as it gets in my mind, and I know that when I catch the next Oregon state record bass again or any trophy size/record class fish, hopefully on film weigh it and then let it go what that will mean to me is far more rewarding, its not calling in an elk for a few days or weeks, but its every bit of my free time and energy for the last 5 years and really my whole life thus far culminating to one spectacular moment when my mission is accomplished and all my hard work and dedication has payed off! (In my mind) that is as monumental of a rush as I could ever ask for. To me fooling a record class fish on an artificial is an art and in my case it has taken tons of dedication years of time but provided me with a goal to set my sights on, and at the end of the day it is just a fish im after but it surely isn't easy to catch, But its also a lot more than that its an unexplainable thing what fishing is to me the whole experience combined is just a lot more.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
I guess I just have talked to lucky guys or something because it didn't seem like it was that hard. Bow hunter defiantly takes some skill. But mad dog said it best and thats why a lot of people do it. Hoping for an opening weekend buck next season so I don't miss out on too much fishing.

M
Mad dog
colbypearson said:
I havent killed a trophy animal but im gonna disagree with that post specifically with the can't match that feeling with fishing, its pretty relative to the person though. Because any time I catch a big fish and get to see it swim away the feeling is about as good as it gets in my mind, and I know that when I catch the next Oregon state record bass again or any trophy size/record class fish, hopefully on film weigh it and then let it go what that will mean to me is far more rewarding, its not calling in an elk for a few days or weeks, but its every bit of my free time and energy for the last 5 years and really my whole life thus far culminating to one spectacular moment when my mission is accomplished and all my hard work and dedication has payed off! (In my mind) that is as monumental of a rush as I could ever ask for. To me fooling a record class fish on an artificial is an art and in my case it has taken tons of dedication years of time but provided me with a goal to set my sights on, and at the end of the day it is just a fish im after but it surely isn't easy to catch, But its also a lot more than that its an unexplainable thing what fishing is to me the whole experience combined is just a lot more.

I guess that's where you and I differ on the Hunting or fishing aspect, to me, at the end of the day it is still just a fish, I see big game as more of a worthy opponent than any fish.

C
colbypearson
Mad dog said:
I guess that's where you and I differ on the Hunting or fishing aspect, to me, at the end of the day it is still just a fish, I see big game as more of a worthy opponent than any fish.

Different ball games! I guess if you took all the fish of a species in the state and primarily targeted literally the biggest .0001% or something along those lines the plot thickens!

H
halibuthitman
time+effort+resources= trophies.... with the exeption of horse shoe up the ass luck.

If I had every minute of every day and all the resources I wanted I could hand you a picture of the new state record bass, a 380 inch rosie, a 25 lb steelhead and a 40 lb nook in probably about 14 months.. no big deal. now what impresses me is when a guy who pulls 5 ten hour shifts a week pays what bills he can, puts his family first, and only has 7 shells from a 6 year old box of shells goes out with only 3 days total to hunt and nocks down a 4x4 buck for the 4th year in a row on state or public land... now thats a trophy-

Reactions: capblack, PNW Sam and RunWithSasquatch
C
capblack
halibuthitman said:
time+effort+resources= trophies.... with the exeption of horse shoe up the ass luck.

If I had every minute of every day and all the resources I wanted I could hand you a picture of the new state record bass, a 380 inch rosie, a 25 lb steelhead and a 40 lb nook in probably about 14 months.. no big deal. now what impresses me is when a guy who pulls 5 ten hour shifts a week pays what bills he can, puts his family first, and only has 7 shells from a 6 year old box of shells goes out with only 3 days total to hunt and nocks down a 4x4 buck for the 4th year in a row on state or public land... now thats a trophy-

very well said. i couldnt agree more

C
capblack
halibuthitman said:
time+effort+resources= trophies.... with the exeption of horse up the ass luck.

very well said. i couldnt agree more

D
DB Crouper
It's also about health and a balanced diet. In my freezer and pantry we have canned crab, canned tuna, razor clams, sturgeon, halibut, salmon, steelhead, antelope, venison, and elk. Natural organic protein is a real benefit to the eclectic sportsman.

M
Mad dog
DB Crouper said:
It's also about health and a balanced diet. In my freezer and pantry we have canned crab, canned tuna, razor clams, sturgeon, halibut, salmon, steelhead, antelope, venison, and elk. Natural organic protein is a real benefit to the eclectic sportsman.

No doubt!!! I had broiled venison backstrap smothered in Pop's secret sauce for lunch today!