Home made spinners- let's see them!

1 nut in the water
I have had a bad case of garage fever so have ventured into the world of making my own hardware to ease the pain of last years huge donation of tackle to the river. Throwing together a lot of different combinations when I should just be sticking with a few and then see what works. Any feedback from those with experience making their own would be fantastic!

B
bigboy70
Black on black is one I've had a lot of luck with.

P.S. Can I come play in your garage??

E
eugene1
Looking good, 1 nut!

Sometimes I wish I could make my own kwiks, but I really need to try more spinners next year.

Good luck with the home made hardware, they look good!

F
FishFinger
Spinner fabrication is a fun and productive art, great to see your "hooked".

I can't see for sure (do to my phones picture resolution) are you using bearing beads below the clevises?

I might suggest you forego the swivels. They aren't really nessary. You can achieve blade cavitation without them. (IMHO).

The split rings are cool, allowing you to change hook types. I know folks who love the sickle hook, tho I prefer trebs for superior balance. Barbless trebles of course.. lol

Over all your spinners look great. The beads below the bell bodies are a nice touch.

Clevis sizes often vary depending on where the blade holes are punched.

Have you taken any of your creations for a swim yet?

Great job, looking forward to your catch reports.

S
SOMCREW
1 nut in the water said:
I have had a bad case of garage fever so have ventured into the world of making my own hardware to ease the pain of last years huge donation of tackle to the river. Throwing together a lot of different combinations when I should just be sticking with a few and then see what works. Any feedback from those with experience making their own would be fantastic!

Those look nice.. would love a set for winter steel!!!

B
BlueWater
Do you need a fabrication jig to make the spinners? As many as I lose, I need to look into home-mades.

F
FishFinger
BlueWater said:
Do you need a fabrication jig to make the spinners? As many as I lose, I need to look into home-mades.

No jigs are nessary, spinner fab pliers are all you'd need to make good loops. Being said jigs will iincrease your overall production rates.

The Boggs tackle master is a sweet jig I use for smaller spinners (tho larger pins and handles are available for thicker wire and larger loops.)

The twist tech is my personal favorite for larger spinners 4-7s.

Last edited:
1 nut in the water
bigboy70 said:

P.S. Can I come play in your garage??

pm your address and you can test out a few of the black I put together last night

1 nut in the water
FishFinger said:

I can't see for sure (do to my phones picture resolution) are you using bearing beads below the clevises?

I might suggest you forego the swivels. They aren't really nessary. You can achieve blade cavitation without them. (IMHO).

The split rings are cool, allowing you to change hook types. I know folks who love the sickle hook, tho I prefer trebs for superior balance. Barbless trebles of course.. lol

Over all your spinners look great. The beads below the bell bodies are a nice touch.

Have you taken any of your creations for a swim yet?

Great job, looking forward to your catch reports.

Yes I have bearings between the body and clevis

I put the swivels on as I hate the snap swivels since they are occasionally the weak link in the line. Only takes a few seconds to snip off and retie for changes.
Both the swivels and split rings are from the mind of Bill Herzog and he has quite a bit more experience than me..........

1 nut in the water
BlueWater said:

No, check out videos on youtube and you will see that some folks are quite handy with round nose and regular pliers. I am not the patient type and I plan on doing this until they gotta bury me so I chose to invest in the Twistech which after about 200 spinners I really like.

F
FishFinger
1nut, after a thousand spinners being turned the ol' twist tech is still a performing jig! I love it!

I was "schooled" to refrain from using swivles from the get go, but to make swapping out spinners quicker I often use duo lock snaps w/o any adverse effects on blade cavitation.

Perhaps a "spinner swap" sometime this winter would be a fun way to share different aspects of spinner fab theory.

R
RoryONeal
So where we fishin tomorrow?

B
bigboy70
depends how you want to fish them. I was told when buying hardware if it is suppose to go on a swivel it will come with one attach, if it dosent have one its not meant to. by all means take that with a grain of salt because I don't know. In personal experiences never used swivels always to main line. the do have those lil snap deals (looks like the clip off a swivel) might be a good alternative?

troutdude
troutdude
bigboy70 said:

This is my favorite all-time spinner, for Fall Nooks. I also slip a piece of black tubing, over the hook shank as well. Learned about this, in the early 80's, from Jed Davis' classic book "Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout". First outing on the Siletz, with my first home made size 3 black spinners--I fought 4 Fall Nooks all 35-40 lbs. each. I was HOOKED too!

D
DirectDrive
BlueWater said:
No, the simplest way is to use a needle nose plier to form the loops...

frspnstep4.jpg

frspnstep5.jpg

frspnstep6.jpg

D
DirectDrive
FishFinger said:

Yep, a bearing bead is a good idea.

The captive barrel swivel is taught by some spinner gurus such as Jed Davis. I did this for years.
I hate forming that loop with the swivel in there !
I've been doing a "naked loop" for years now and use a size #10 Rosco (USA) snap swivel.....much mo betta.
The swivel protects the knot and helps with line twist.
Not an advocate of tying direct to the spinner for river fishing.

The split ring connection at the hook has been standard for me since I started building in the mid 80's. "Spinner Dave" Kaffke enlightened me to the virtues of the split ring connection for the hook.
Not so much for hook change-out (using open-eyes), but for better swivel action of the hook...lessens binding.

A size 4 French wants a size 2 clevis to be "architecturally correct".
It can bind and cause the blade to "helicopter" during the cast.
I hate that, instant multiple line twists and a crappy cast !
Going to a size 3 doesn't look as cool, but you will get less helicoptering.

Always looking for the perfect hook (which doesn't exist of course) and started using Mustad 10848BLN last summer.
This hook has every element covered right out of the package...no tweeking needed.
Large open eye
Offset
Inboard kick
Modified O'Shaunessey bend
Slight beak point
Sticky sharp

I've been using size 1 for my steelhead spinners.

Did I mention, I'm a fully-ordained treble hater ?

:D

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
This thread is making me want to dig out my twist tech and stock up on my building supplies again...except I rarely fish hardware anymore so meh. Those look good though. I'm a big fan of the bullet bodies in the middle similar to those that Rob Brown distributes.

C
catchallthefish
ive been doing the same thing but mine aren't as good looking as yours so i think u will do great good luck

J
Jacks Tackle
5050french.JPG

a couple from today's twisting.....

C
catchallthefish
do any of you guys use willow leaf blades?