Home made spinners- let's see them!

F
FishFinger
catchallthefish said:
do any of you guys use willow leaf blades?

Not with any of the spinner bodies pictured in this thread. French blades are the cats meow for bell and bullet bodied spinners. For these types of spinners willow blades are either too long or too thin.

A rule of thumb for blade selection is that they hang no lower than the bottom hook loop. A blade that's too long can wack the fish on it's snout prior to it being taken in the fishes mouth.

Willow blades do have great applications tho. I use them for flashers for gang troll/ pop gear, as well as booya (sp?) type bass lures.

The only performing terminal spinner I'm aware of with a willow blade are Rooster tails. Being said I still opt for french blades for smaller spinners sized #1 or #2

T
Throbbit _Shane
FishFinger said:
Not with any of the spinner bodies pictured in this thread. French blades are the cats meow for bell and bullet bodied spinners. For these types of spinners willow blades are either too long or too thin.

A rule of thumb for blade selection is that they hang no lower than the bottom hook loop. A blade that's too long can wack the fish on it's snout prior to it being taken in the fishes mouth.

Willow blades do have great applications tho. I use them for flashers for gang troll/ pop gear, as well as booya (sp?) type bass lures.

The only performing terminal spinner I'm aware of with a willow blade are Rooster tails. Being said I still opt for french blades for smaller spinners sized #1 or #2

You were thinking of Spinner Baits. One of my favorite bass lures.

C
catchallthefish
thanks for the info i made a lure with a willow leaf blade and it does barley misses the tip of the hook as you said.... back to the drawing board! im glad i ask these question befor 2 years of trial and error..

F
FishFinger
Back in 2008 I wrote a tut for how I specifically fab bell body spinners.

5 years later nothing in the process has changed. I think it's good archived thread including the "balance and tuning" theories.

Last edited:
S
sunsalem
I am starting to do my own creations and have a question for experienced hands regarding split rings.

I have a couple of pairs of split ring pliers, but it's still an ordeal for me.
Any tips or tricks?

1 nut in the water
sunsalem said:
I am starting to do my own creations and have a question for experienced hands regarding split rings.

Any tips or tricks?

Glasses!!
I finally had to break down and buy eyeglasses..... Tedious as hell but i recently put over 600 on with the $5 pliers and still have a shred of sanity left...

M
Modest_Man
sunsalem said:

Any tips or tricks?

Split ring pliers are the best thing you can use.

S
sunsalem
1 nut in the water said:
Glasses!!
I finally had to break down and buy eyeglasses..... Tedious as hell but i recently put over 600 on with the $5 pliers and still have a shred of sanity left...
LOL, reading glasses are a must for me at 57.
Heck, I can't tie a knot without them.

Modest_Man said:
Split ring pliers are the best thing you can use.
I guess I just need more practice....

R
radiation
These are my first attempt at twisting spinners. I put UV blast on a couple of bodies and a couple of blades. I'm gonna go try them out tomorrow at Lake Creek.

• 100_2882.jpg
  • 100_2883.jpg
  • 100_2884.jpg
S
sunsalem
radiation said:
These are my first attempt at twisting spinners. I put UV blast on a couple of bodies and a couple of blades. I'm gonna go try them out tomorrow at Lake Creek.
Nice job.
Let us know how you did.:)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
radiation said:

excellent, nice mix.

U
ufl
Here is latest spinners, the bell bodies is weighted with lead, silicone tube is to center the hook and add more fluorescent color.....

IMG_3172.jpg

Ulrich

J
JustMe
Talent. Between the spinners, jigs, and flies that I've seen it is quite obvious there are a lot of very talented fisherfolks on this forum. My hats OFF to all of you!

H
halibuthitman
couple i use-

Last edited by a moderator:
J
JustMe
Why the different types of hooks? I see some with treble hooks and some with single hooks. I assume that is due to regs requiring single hooks. I also noticed that some of the single hooks are "J" hooks and some have a crooked shaft - that really has me confused.

O
OnTheDrop
radiation said:

I would seriously recommend using some form of Siwash hook instead of the trebles. You will get hung up way less, and if you are afraid of getting hung up and thumping the bottom you aren't fishing them right. Trebles will work don't get me wrong, but when you move to the Si's it's a big difference in my opinion! Spinner fishing for Steel in the month of March is .... AWESOME

Good luck,

F
FishFinger
Veterans of 2013 middle DesChutes /upper Santiam summer trout campaign

# 2 -1/8 oz cricket, barbless variant.

Last edited by a moderator:
U
ufl
Everybody using treble hooks on their spinners, we can’t get siwash hooks. All my items are bought in US, so I'm just using both type hooks to compare if there shouldbe any difference....
I bought siwash hooks as the one I prefer in the future...
We have sandy button and by summer the river get full of button vegetation's, the siwash grabs those harder than treble hooks, but we have to go deep to catch the Atlantic salmon...

Ulrich

F
FishFinger
I prefer trebels for one important reason: Balance. They way I was taught to twist spinners puts a major focus on balance and tuning. Siwash don't tune or "track" as well as trebs IMHO. It's been said "you catch more fish with gear you fish confidently with", my lack of confidence in siwash spinner rig ups parallels my low hook up rate. Being said, I opt to pinch my barbs as the hook ups come explosively and often when the "Osmosis" fabrication theory is applied.

One thing a treb can do that a sickle or siwash can't, pin a fishes mouth closed; in the case of a large salmon it's helpful towards getting it in the net quicker...

U
ufl
Interesting about the balance with treble or single hook, haven’t been able to test my spinners, the Salmon River is closet and the season started 16[SUP]th[/SUP]April. I’m able to cast some lead bodies, so try to make a small change of thebody weight and blade size and notice the balance. The river has sandy button, so the conditionsof water levels can change quite a bit on few yards, holes and button vegetation’s,so you have to work with your spinner and still try to run the blade slow aspossible…. Hope I’m getting much wiser after my test…
Ulrich