Fly tying and patterns sharing thread

F
FlyBum
Thanks, but I got them both still in the box and think I'll be able to break them down and figure it out. Maybe for some of those out there who want the recipe you can make it public though.

I'm just about to go on a fly tying bender tonight, late start, but it will get my mind off of things that are going on right now. Candy bars and Pepsi are the key ingredient for me! :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
cool! sounds like a fun night ahead, i had one of those last night..ton of junk food..no sleep used up the rest of my hooks Lol

T
the_intimidator03
Here are a few patterns ive tied up today. I figured I would give it a go doing a couple of articulated patterns with some fur i had.
106_0607.jpg106_0605.jpg

And here is a couple patterns tied in the past two classes. Elk Hair Caddis and Stimulator
106_0613.jpg106_0608.jpg

brandon4455
brandon4455
top two for bull trout im guessing? very well done, those are good ties especially for the short amount of time you have been tying,tie that caddis will tear em up! bluegill like elk hair caddis fished sunk as a streamer too,try it out!!

T
the_intimidator03
Oh ive swung some dries subsurface a few times. I figured the articulateds for aggressive trout and perhaps fooling some bass with those as well.

F
FlyBum
You can call this one the Chubby Norman! :lol: (River Runs Over it, anyone?)

A couple of variations with legs and tail material colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks for the kind words randy, it means a lot . some people have asked me why the body has a little more"bulk" to it then a normal pt. what i did was actually made the body wider by laying a piece of wire on each side of the shank (you can't really see it) then i made a slight taper. if you look at a march brown nymph they are wide and there body has a slight taper to it. ive also noticed that they have more then one ":brown" color on tier body as a nymph,this is where the cinnamon tip turkey comes in. it's also tougher then pheasant tail fibers so it lasts through more fish. i also dab a layer of head cement on the wing case sometimes, it gives the back a shiny look and in addition makes it even tougher.

Last edited:
J
jimmy
My version of the 'Norm Woods Special" :

hook #6

thread : whatever color you want the head to be, I used black in this case.

abdomen : orange antron yarn, orange grizzly hackle .

wing : calf tail, dyed to that 'pinkish-norm-woods-color' with red and green 'cool aide'.

thorax : orange 'uni-yarn', natural brown saddle hackle (over-sized to add to "leggy-ness").

legs : rubber.. ( I've been liking black and tan 'tarantu-leggs' lately )

head : yup, thread.

--- for folks that have tied with calf tail, it can be kind of a 'slimey' material ( it tends to fall out of the fly because the hair is so fine ), instead of tying on one clump for the wing, I tie three smaller clumps, stacked up, to keep them in place better.

norms.jpg

normclose.jpg
(notice I don't clip the forward hackle, I tie it to the eye and fold it back and form the head over the fold. no need getting the scissors involved when I'm almost done. When I do the 'whip finish' I hold the legs and hackle back with a small piece of drinking straw pushed over the fly to keep the 'leg material' out of the way.)

one of my favorites.....

( the hackle was dyed with 'rit' fabric dye )
hackledying.jpg

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
Nice Jimmy! Thanks for sharing :)

O
OnTheFly
jimmy, that's just eye candy! Are those the same ones you tied last year where you said you'd pull the wings up before tossing them out? That's such a killer pattern!

F
FlyBum
OnTheFly said:
Chubbies. Just like the kind of girls you dated in college.:lol::dance:

You know I only like the Pear-shaped ones that's why I tie these with such a huge rear end. I guess you can call them Apple Bottom Chubbies! :lol:

O
OnTheFly
FlyBum said:
You know I only like the Pear-shaped ones that's why I tie these with such a huge rear end. I guess you can call them Apple Bottom Chubbies! :lol:
I can't tell through all that fur.

brandon4455
brandon4455
OnTheFly said:

bahahaha

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
OnTheFly said:

Chubbies need lovin too ;)

Reactions: OnTheFly
E
eggs
Yea buddy! I will try to tie some up too.. gonnnna slay em!

E
eggs
First attempt at a scullllly

2012-06-14_23-59-35_225.jpg

F
FlyBum
Great fly!

I happen to know that up there, one of the "triggers" is some red just behind the head to simulate some gills :)

E
eggs
#2 before i read your post..... doooooohh

2012-06-15_00-48-22_293.jpg

brandon4455
brandon4455
BUMP! does anyone tie fall salmon patterns??? post some pics!! ill get some of mine up soon. will also post a pic of my favorite leech pattern for fishing under an indicator in tandem with a chironomid.

F
FlyBum
Green-butt Skunk Variation...........

Last edited by a moderator: