Crabtree Creek, close to Albany easy access for all

boomer
This is a great secret fishing area, you can find spots up and down river from here if you can't walk too far like me there are close spots and access is easy - at least when the rocks are dry. For the adventuresome there are miles to explore. Trout, steelhead and Chinook have been caught here. About 25 miles from albany, OR.

Link to Google maps:
43180 ISLAND INN DR , LEBANON OR 97355 - Google Maps

from Albany go east on US-20

7.2 mi
6. Turn left at OR-226 E (signs for Scio)
4.3 mi
7. Turn right at Fish Hatchery Dr (signs for Fish Hatchery Dr)
1.4 mi
8. Slight right to stay on Fish Hatchery Dr
5.0 mi
9. Turn right at Meridian Rd
0.6 mi
10. Turn left at E Lacomb Rd
1.9 mi
11. Turn left at Island Inn Dr to end of road, )do not take the paved turn, go strait onto the gravel road) where there is a county footbrige across the river and county parking space. From there access upriver and down some great fishing spots can be found.
 
BlackBass
Why in the world would you advertise a fishing spot to everyone? Considering its elegal to fish Steelhead and chinook. Its not a family fishing destination , it should not be fished if your interested in keeping a little river healthy.
 
hick
I could be mistaken (and Please correct me if i am) but i was under the impression that Crabtree fell under the heading of a tributary to the South Santiam and therefore the regulations for the South apply to it. >>>


5. South Fork (S. Santiam River) to Foster Dam
• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead entire year and non-adipose fin-clipped
steelhead may be retained July 1-Aug. 31.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped Chinook salmon Jan. 1-Aug. 15 and Nov. 1-Dec. 31.
• Open for trout May 23-Oct. 31, 2 adipose fin-clipped trout per day, no minimum length.
• Open for coho salmon Jan. 1-Aug. 15 and Nov. 1-Dec. 31.
• Closed from Foster Dam downstream about 1/4 mile to ODFW markers.
• Use of bait allowed.
 
everett464
I think you are right, Hick.

It is skinny water, and so a public announcement may be a bit unwise, but it looks like fun water to fish, so I appreciate the tip.
 
hick
Very True! Not a fan of crowds but less of a fan of misleading information!
 
troutdude
If it's open, and there are also steelies and 'nooks...I'm in!

I have been up that way probably hundreds of times, but never thought it much of it.

So, thanks for the tip! And welcome to OFF.
 
ketts05
Keeping secrets secret is a good idea but its also what kills similar fishing forums, lots of people keeping lots of secrets making other members very angry. Thanks for the info and good luck.
 
TTFishon
ketts05 said:
Keeping secrets secret is a good idea but its also what kills similar fishing forums, lots of people keeping lots of secrets making other members very angry. Thanks for the info and good luck.

Whatever dude.:rolleyes: It's sickening and saddening to me when people give up secret spots.
 
TTFishon
hick said:
Very True! Not a fan of crowds but less of a fan of misleading information!

I hate crowds too but when people give up there secret holes eventually they become crowded.
 
Raincatcher
TTFishon said:
I hate crowds too but when people give up there secret holes eventually they become crowded.

So,you have NEVER used a tip on a good hole you saw on this or any other forum? I'm still torn on this issue,but since when do we jump down a new members' throat and ream them a new one for sharing when that is a big feature of the forum. Shame! Thank goodness most of the "welcomes'" are a lot more friendly than a small percentage.

boomer;
Welcome to the forum! Please forgive the disgruntled posts. Maybe someone snuck in and peed in their Cherrio's? Most of the members really do appreciate hearing about new fishing holes,so thank you for sharing the info. You may see more fisher folk out there shortly.
 
bigsteel
im all for helping but this is a small creek and should be left alone for them to spawn in as far as im concerned its not very wide and is very good sancuary for the fish.
i would hate to see the salmon and steelhead go extinct from this very very small creek..this isn't the place you want a hundred people showing up dragging fish out.,
 
BlackBass
I dont recall anyone jumping down his throat. I dont recall getting my cheerios pissed on either :) . I just have a hard time when someone posts driving directions to a fishing hole. Go spend some time finding those little secret gems and then have a guy post directions for the masses.Ya might as well **** on my neck and tell me its raining , if you dont think that would bother you :) What im saying is nobody cares about telling people where the fish are biting, but to have a spot advertised on the internet does nobody any good. Go catch them native springers and native steelhead , your kidding yourself if you think its good for members of the forum to be misinformed.
 
hick
i've been up all the creeks in that area and they are incredibly small and unpopulated (fish and people wise)! i just wanted to make sure that I wasn't breaking the law by wandering through 'em!

Thank you for being so informative on current regulations!
 
BlackBass
No worrys Hick just alittle bit close to home for the ninernet :). I see in your avatar pic your also at one of my other favorite fishing holes :) cough just kidding . Boiler bay has some great fishing opportunitys :)
 
hick
Wouldn't know! Not much for surf fishing........just boarding! Too cold for me up here though!
 
TTFishon
Raincatcher said:
So,you have NEVER used a tip on a good hole you saw on this or any other forum? I'm still torn on this issue,but since when do we jump down a new members' throat and ream them a new one for sharing when that is a big feature of the forum. Shame! Thank goodness most of the "welcomes'" are a lot more friendly than a small percentage.

boomer;
Welcome to the forum! Please forgive the disgruntled posts. Maybe someone snuck in and peed in their Cherrio's? Most of the members really do appreciate hearing about new fishing holes,so thank you for sharing the info. You may see more fisher folk out there shortly.

I didn't jump down anyone's throat. I was just stating an opinion on how I feel about giving up secrets. It's just a simple statement. Take it how ever you want.
 
Sage_Flyguy
I know the creek quite well that you are talking about " Crabtree " never fished it , it does get quite narrow and I hear its an amazing little fly stream.. I have a friend that lives on it or within walking distance to it and according to him you can fish it for trout.. but like all the tributaries of the santiams North and South you must catch and release the trout below the Dam.. ie Foster and Big Cliff.. I have heard that Angling for steelhead and Salmon is not legal but dont quote me.
As for giving driving direction to it , I am sure that most people are thankful.. I for one have had numerous people ask me where a spot was , how many miles from wherever , what I caught the fish on etc etc etc.. My views are if someone wants info then give it to them. I always kind of thought forums were best used to obtain information , not to Brag to a bunch of people that about how big the fish were , how many there were at your " hidden spot ".


So thanks for the Info and I plan on checking it out sometime
Tight Lines
Jer
 
Raincatcher
Public apology

Public apology

TTFishon said:
I didn't jump down anyone's throat. I was just stating an opinion on how I feel about giving up secrets. It's just a simple statement. Take it how ever you want.
TTFishon and anyone else I upset yesterday;
I apologize if I offended anyone by accusing you of jumping down boomer's throat for posting directions to a fishy body of water. However,you should know I still believe anyone has the right to post the information whether or not it is agreeable to the masses.
 
JamesB
Regulations Covering Crabtree and Thomas Creeks

Regulations Covering Crabtree and Thomas Creeks

hick said:
I could be mistaken (and Please correct me if i am) but i was under the impression that Crabtree fell under the heading of a tributary to the South Santiam and therefore the regulations for the South apply to it. >>>


5. South Fork (S. Santiam River) to Foster Dam
• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead entire year and non-adipose fin-clipped
steelhead may be retained July 1-Aug. 31.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped Chinook salmon Jan. 1-Aug. 15 and Nov. 1-Dec. 31.
• Open for trout May 23-Oct. 31, 2 adipose fin-clipped trout per day, no minimum length.
• Open for coho salmon Jan. 1-Aug. 15 and Nov. 1-Dec. 31.
• Closed from Foster Dam downstream about 1/4 mile to ODFW markers.
• Use of bait allowed.

Hope I'm not posting out of turn here. I used to think the same but emailed ODFW last year to make sure, and they said neither Crabtree or Thomas Creek were covered by the South Santiam:

"No they are not governed by the rules of the Santiam, since they are not
listed under any special regulations you need to refer to page 48 and
use the general regulations for the Willamette Zone. No you can not fish
Steelhead or Salmon in those creeks."

Hope this helps.
 
markasd
I'd have to agree with NOT posting detailed information on how to get to a specific rock! If someone asks in a PM thats one thing, but to put in print like this is ridiculous. Been up there though - pretty area.

mark
 
Top Bottom