Green Peter Lake - general information

Troutski
Troutski
White Corn...

White Corn...

oy23 said:
Emailed ODFW on this. Here is the reply...minus some names.

To:
Cc:
RE: Corn as bait Monday, June 8, 2009 7:41 PM

Good Morning Mr. ----: It is perfectly legal to use corn as bait, in fact, if you're fishing for Kokanee, this is
their favorite. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you for your inquiry,
----
Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife
Fish Division

Sent: Monday, June 08, 2009 11:14 AM
To:
Subject: FW: Corn as bait

Please respond. sf

-----
Assistant Operations Manager
ODFW, Fish Division

White corn is legal to use as bait, not yellow corn. The white corn will digest in a fish, yellow will not and can fill the fish to the point of not being able to feed; which leads to terminal napping.
Try scenting your corn, shrimp, sea salt; and coloring it in different colors like Red, Pink, Green...I use common food coloring to color it, they seem to like it just fine.

Chuck

C
chris61182
Troutski said:
White corn is legal to use as bait, not yellow corn.

Which is in complete contradiction to the regulations and the communications with ODFW. Where are you getting that yellow corn is illegal?

The white corn will digest in a fish, yellow will not and can fill the fish to the point of not being able to feed;

Similarly I have to ask where this information is coming from? And if that is a concern should we stop fishing with powerbait as well?

C
chris61182
Screen cap of a search for "corn" in the 2009 regulations.

G
getsdwyz
Nicce tip thanks

Nicce tip thanks

fished the kokes for the first time at green peter today.tryed the tip with the corn soaked in oil and trolled the finger to the dam we brought in over 30 fish in about 5 hours .....THANKS

PS. 1 of them was 17.5 inches and about 3 inches thick biggest koke i have brought in

C
capblack
what am I doing wrong??

what am I doing wrong??

I was up at gp and fished from 7 am until 2 pm and only ended up with 3 bows and 1 nook. we were still fishing up the santiam arm when we got the bows, but were trolling for at least 5 or 6 hrs, from thistle creek to the dam, then up the other side to the island, and all around the island. we marked a lot of fish, but didn't get any kokes. we tried apex lures, koke a nuts, wedding rings, all with stingers and tipped with white shoepeg soaked in kokanee fuel. we tried everything from lead line to chain weights to get it down, but nothing. Im afraid if we use big enough lead to get it down well never see them bite. might have to break down and get some cheap downriggers. we used an electric trolling motor in the morning before the wind picked up, so Im sure we were slow enough, dont know what Im doing wrong. any input would be helpful and much appreciated. thanks and happy fishing to all, Brian

Troutski
Troutski
Sun at your back...

Sun at your back...

capblack said:
I was up at gp and fished from 7 am until 2 pm and only ended up with 3 bows and 1 nook. we were still fishing up the santiam arm when we got the bows, but were trolling for at least 5 or 6 hrs, from thistle creek to the dam, then up the other side to the island, and all around the island. we marked a lot of fish, but didn't get any kokes. we tried apex lures, koke a nuts, wedding rings, all with stingers and tipped with white shoepeg soaked in kokanee fuel. we tried everything from lead line to chain weights to get it down, but nothing. Im afraid if we use big enough lead to get it down well never see them bite. might have to break down and get some cheap downriggers. we used an electric trolling motor in the morning before the wind picked up, so Im sure we were slow enough, dont know what Im doing wrong. any input would be helpful and much appreciated. thanks and happy fishing to all, Brian

My only tip to new Koke anglers is when you troll for them, always keep the sun to you back or the side. Along with varying the speed, plenty of turns...I must admit a downrigger does help.. I use it for the Land Locked Chinook as well, once you get use to it you will wonder why you waited so long. I still keep my lead core set up in the boat...one can never be to prepared...;) Here is a site that has a ton of useful information, you will even recognize some of the members...Tight lines...

Chuck

Y
yellowjacket
Study by Fisheries Biologist

Study by Fisheries Biologist

Troutski said:
White corn is legal to use as bait, not yellow corn. The white corn will digest in a fish, yellow will not and can fill the fish to the point of not being able to feed; which leads to terminal napping.
Try scenting your corn, shrimp, sea salt; and coloring it in different colors like Red, Pink, Green...I use common food coloring to color it, they seem to like it just fine.

Chuck

Howdee Y'all! I had been under the impression that corn was killer bait - literally! But I found this study by the State of Pa. that determined corn doesn't kill. Rainbows anyway. Full Post & Link follow. :cool:

During the last few years, I have seen more and more people using corn for bait. But it seems as if they are now being so bold as to sow the stream with handfuls at a time before casting their lines. I have always had the understanding corn cannot be digested by the trout and they would die from ingesting it. If this is the case, is it illegal to sow corn?

Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.
During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet.

The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn.

You also asked about the practice of anglers using handfuls of corn to attract fish - a practice sometimes called "chumming." For waters managed under statewide regulations, chumming with corn or other bait to attract fish would be considered a legal practice, providing that anglers don't get carried away and liberally coat the bottom of the stream with corn. If this were the case, then it could be considered littering. The Commission does not recommend chumming.

M
MathiasIV
Getting Started

Getting Started

Hello folks,
I'm new to this site, new to kokanee fishing and new to green peter so this should be fun, lol. I've been reading through the forum and it looks like a lot of you could teach me a thing or 15 about fishing green peter so here goes. I'm going out on a boat this Thurs/Friday (9th and 10th july) with no personal kokanee fishing experience. I know the person I'm going with knows a little, but he has never fished green peter either. We'll be trolling lead, no downrigger, and probably jigging. Looks like morning is best from what I've been reading on the forum, as well as anywhere from 40 to 120 feet of water. We have wedding rings and a few little kwikfish, etc, but was hoping for a few pointers as far as what else I should have in my tackle box, what to fish in front of them, how deep to start, etc. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to winco to get some corn and tuna in oil as well :think: at any rate, any help or guidance would be awesome, nothing can be more daunting than fishing new water for a fish I've never sought before.
Thanks!
-Mat

T
Troutier Bassier
Krippler Lures with Cured Corn on the trebles work good.

L
lip ripper
7-6-09 :)

Mat,
If you launch at Thistle turn left going out and head for the Island. After you pass the last point start trolling half way from the point to the Island,troll 35 to 50 ft deep. And from the Island to the floating outhouse. Use a red hoochie 1-1/2" long with a flasher or ford fender. Or a green spinner with corn or a wedding ring. I was there today and got five and the other five went skipping across the water,they didn't like my boat. Good luck fishing:clap:

Last edited:
C
Cannon
Jmiddlestadt said:
becareful with the corn....I've heard that Shoe peg is the only corn they can digest, everything else is illegal........anyone know if this is ture?:think::confused:

That is not true in Oregon. In some states corn is illegal. Fish cannot digest corn and a fish that eats a large quantity will die. That is why it is illegal to use it in some states. Shoepeg corn is used because it is sweet and has long kernels that enable you to easily put it on hooks. Pautzke's Fire Corn is not shoepeg and still works just fine. I personally prefer to scent my own corn and use strictly shoepeg in the fridge overnight with various ProCure scents.

Y
yellowjacket
Cannon said:
That is not true in Oregon. In some states corn is illegal. Fish cannot digest corn and a fish that eats a large quantity will die. That is why it is illegal to use it in some states. Shoepeg corn is used because it is sweet and has long kernels that enable you to easily put it on hooks. Pautzke's Fire Corn is not shoepeg and still works just fine. I personally prefer to scent my own corn and use strictly shoepeg in the fridge overnight with various ProCure scents.

I have lived in states where corn was illegal & thought that it would kill fish that consumed whole kernels. I found this study done by fish biologists in Pa. that shows that corn won't kill trout even in large quantities, so don't worry about sweetening your spoons & spinners. Al's Gold fish spoons are good producers for kokes and Super dupers are also good producers. a lot of our OFFers use white corn from the can. Tight Lines !!

C
Cannon
That study is interesting. Thanks for posting it!

R
rainORsnow1
Anybody know if the roads are clear? Going tomorrow don't want to take any chances. Report will follow

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
rainORsnow1 said:
Anybody know if the roads are clear? Going tomorrow don't want to take any chances. Report will follow

Don't know about the roads, but I am very interested to read your report. I want to try Green Peter in the winter, too, if it's productive. It would be fun to troll for kokes and trout with my Nucanoe. From previous threads it looks like the action doesn't pick up until March or later?

R
rainORsnow1
March. Definetly. But there are people like myself who fish it all winter. Sure is beautiful. The fishing is a little slower though. I went two weekends ago and went 10 for 17. The fish get skinnier this time of year too. They call them snakes. But still eat good.

K
kpduty
I have been up to the fishermans bridge, on weekends for the last month. I have caught KoKnee,s on every trip. Only one Sat. it was only one koke and two trout. the other times it has been at less 12 or more kokes. I have heard that some boats have been doing go jigging at the boues at the dam. Will be up at bridge in morning again.