Crabtree Creek, close to Albany easy access for all

H
hick
JamesB said:
Hope I'm not posting out of turn here. I used to think the same but emailed ODFW last year to make sure, and they said neither Crabtree or Thomas Creek were covered by the South Santiam:

"No they are not governed by the rules of the Santiam, since they are not
listed under any special regulations you need to refer to page 48 and
use the general regulations for the Willamette Zone. No you can not fish
Steelhead or Salmon in those creeks."

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much bud! I was obviously misinformed and thanks for clearing that up! Glad to hear it from you, not "big brother"!!!

T
TTFishon
Raincatcher said:
TTFishon and anyone else I upset yesterday;
I apologize if I offended anyone by accusing you of jumping down boomer's throat for posting directions to a fishy body of water. However,you should know I still believe anyone has the right to post the information whether or not it is agreeable to the masses.

You have a right to your opinion just as much as I have a right to mine. Apology accepted.

B
BlackBass
Its posted all over the river that you may not retain Steelhead or Salmon. I would like to add that the river is open for trout during trout season. The fly fishing is great for trout , and a great place to walk the river. I didn't want people getting the wrong idea and planning on harvesting the last few Chinook that swim in these rivers. Steelhead swim the river when the entire river is closed to ALL angling.

R
rainbowfisherman
so it is closed for trout right now, correct?

B
BlackBass
Correct i think the opening day for that system is somewhere around the 21 of May. Always safer to look it up.

A
a12seccrx
Just bringin this up again as I had a lot of curiosity about Crabtree Creek since I have a good stretch of private property access. Only fishing allowed is May22-Oct31. Catch and release only for trout durring this time. Bait is NOT allowed. No fishing for salmon/steelhead. Oh well, that's the way it goes!

R
rainbowfisherman
[Im guessing you fish it a lot. Ive never seen the river. How does it fish for trout? Is it pretty small?

A
a12seccrx
It's a pretty small stream. I've fished it a few times with the fly rod and have caught some trout, but nothing to write home about.

S
strawberry shortcake
In Wallowa County, all rivers are small, and mostly run through private property. Since all of us are generally packin (if you know what I mean), it's best to ask permission and only if you are native to the county. I have taken visiting relatives and a close resident friend now and then. I don't keep my fishing holes secret and always give them first try. And I don't overfish. If I have fish in the freezer left over from last year, I reduce my take. Yesterday I threw 3, 8" legal fish back in. Don't need them.

B
bigfootfish
Crabtree Creek

Crabtree Creek

Okay, here's the scoop on Crabtree. Up to Larwood Park and from Larwood all the way to the headsource Crabtree Lake it is private land on both sides. Once you get up higher the land become timber company land, both sides. Crabtree Creek is FLIES AND LURES ONLY, NO BAIT EVER AND CATCH AND RELEASE. CLOSED TO THE TAKING OF SALMON AND STEELHEAD, PERIOD. A Game Warden lives along the creek so bear that in mind also.

BFF