Coho salmon on the Columbia river

D
dude young
Actualy, post #20 said it all, in my opinion...

Actualy, post #20 said it all, in my opinion...

it just is what Jennie wants it to be.

That's the vibe I got from the site the fist time I went there when I moved out here. Not to offend anyone, but I was looking for a place to openly share thoughts and feelings about fishing and life. What I got from their front page was a feeling that Him and the moral right was the ultimate moderator. I get enough of that at work. Don't need it during 'me' time.

Back to topic. How long do we have? I will contribute to the cook out the best way I know how, I'll fire up the brewery and whip up something special for the occasion. Suggestions are welcome.

K
Kodiak
Back to topic. How long do we have? I will contribute to the cook out the best way I know how, I'll fire up the brewery and whip up something special for the occasion. Suggestions are welcome.

Mid september dude. I vote for something brown and nutty.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I want to

I want to

Ummm,is this a "guy only" thing? :think: I would love to be there if we ladies are also invited. I just saw my doc yesterday and she promised that the new drugs she gave me will conquer the Fibromyalgia pain that has limited my hill climbing for the past few years. :dance: I should be fish fighting ready by September. If not,does anyone have a helicopter I can rent? :pray: :lol:
Be safe.
Barb

K
Kodiak
Raincatcher said:
Ummm,is this a "guy only" thing? :think: I would love to be there if we ladies are also invited. I just saw my doc yesterday and she promised that the new drugs she gave me will conquer the Fibromyalgia pain that has limited my hill climbing for the past few years. :dance: I should be fish fighting ready by September. If not,does anyone have a helicopter I can rent? :pray: :lol:
Be safe.
Barb

Not a guy thing, an OFF thing! from the sounds of it the location isn't set exactley yet but I'm sure we can get fish finger to piggy back you in no problem!:lol:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You're on...

You're on...

Kodiak said:
Not a guy thing, an OFF thing! from the sounds of it the location isn't set exactley yet but I'm sure we can get fish finger to piggy back you in no problem!:lol:

Kodiak;
You're right,it wouldn't work for a scrawny,short legged,weak kneed,fuzzy faced,lil dude to even OFFer a ride....:tongue:...:lol: :lol:
You guys pick the place and I'll do what is needed to be there. Gonna be FUN!! Come on gals,this is as good as it gets! I need company.

Osmosis;
You know, you could clean out some of your eye candy and bring it to Detroit for the get together. I'm sure you would have lots of buyers at the swap meet. Or,you could just give me your address and the times you will be away from home...:dance::lol:
Be safe.
Barb

F
FishFinger
Raincatcher said:
Kodiak;
You're right,it wouldn't work for a scrawny,short legged,weak kneed,fuzzy faced,lil dude to even OFFer a ride....:tongue:...:lol: :lol:

OMG somehow I feel I resemble that remark........ Had you said "knocked kneed" as well; I would have had no doubt what so ever....

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ummm,well...er...

Ummm,well...er...

FishFinger said:
OMG somehow I feel I resemble that remark........ Had you said "knocked kneed" as well; I would have had no doubt what so ever....

Well, I've only met Troutski and Kodiak. Troutski doesn't have a beard. :whistle: Not to point fingers....:D :lol: :lol:

Be safe.
Barb

O
osmosis
Barb I may be able to arrange a float for you, from revenue bridge down to save you the hiking, and from there you would be able to float the rest of the way to dodge park where your car is only a couple hundred ft away. I live with chronic pain as well due to having Acute Intermittent Porphyria so I can understand how living with fibro is, and its potential limitations.

I'm not camping at detroit with you guys this year, but I might swing by with the boat for one of the afternoons. Which day is the swap meet? I didn't know there was going to be one.

I can pack in a wire grill to put the fish, and maybe burgers on no problem.

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
A true gentleman

A true gentleman

osmosis said:
Barb I may be able to arrange a float for you, from revenue bridge down to save you the hiking, and from there you would be able to float the rest of the way to dodge park where you're car is only a couple hundred ft away. I live with chronic pain as well due to having Acute Intermittent Porphyria so I can understand how living with fibro is, and its potential limitations.

I'm not camping at detroit with you guys this year, but I might swing by with the boat for one of the afternoons. Which day is the swap meet? I didn't know there was going to be one.

I can pack in a wire grill to put the fish, and maybe burgers on no problem.

Thank you,Osmosis. I will take you up on your generous OFFer. I will bring gas money and whatever else to help out.
I haven't talked to Dan about the swap meet yet,but I think it is still on. I already have stuff ready to put out. I also have an old lure from my mom. It looks like a bird or bumble bee. I won't put it out for sale,just to look at and see if someone can tell me anything about it. All I know is it is from Minnesota.
Be safe.
Barb

B
beaverfan
So I was talking to my dad who is a lifelong fisherman and fished the Sandy for like 50+ years. Now he just trolls the Columbia. I was talking to him this morning and he was saying that in past years when it has been hot the last part of July and with the strong glacial flow in the Sandy that some Coho will make it to Cedar Creek by the first of August. He might be a crazy old man but he knows the Sandy like few people do. I think I might just head out there next week.

K
Kodiak
Jeez, I was looking forward to shooting the video of that event! LOL...We'll make sure you can make it in barb, I promise! You know Autofisher probably has afavor or two he owes you...maybe for i don't know, food shelter, birth. He's a fairly large lad, you just make him get on all fours and ride him like a pony. Besides, we are going to setup where the fish are, and they may not be at cedar creek, maybe they will hold some place way easier to get at them.:pray:

O
osmosis
Maybe crazy :D but he's completely correct on high water years they can beaverfan. same deal on the clack. some years we start catching them on the 10th of august. this year isn't shaping up to be one of those on this side, but there is potential for the sandy still.

I'll see if I can get a boat figured out for you Barb. We just gotta get a little closer to go time so that I know the date.
If they are in the middle/lower EC good by the time we get ready to do this, there is much easier access than the cedar creek trail. and more space to wander around so we could get us all spread way out.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You guys ROCK!

You guys ROCK!

Sounds like a plan,Kodiak & Osmosis. I have a feeling this is going to be one day I won't forget for a long time. I hope a bunch turn out and join the fun.
Be safe.
Barb

N
ninja2010
Raincatcher said:
I have a feeling this is going to be one day I won't forget for a long time. I hope a bunch turn out and join the fun.
Be safe.
Barb

i'll be in the bunch...:cool: i've never fished the cedar creek area, and i've never caught a coho, heck, i've not even caught a fish yet worth mentioning! :D

K
Kodiak
ninja2010 said:
i'll be in the bunch...:cool: i've never fished the cedar creek area, and i've never caught a coho, heck, i've not even caught a fish yet worth mentioning! :D

At least not on this forum!!!:naughty: Think by the time we get ready to get this ball rolling there might be a ton of fish...I hope ODFW gets this one right.

B
bweb
I'm thinking about trolling in the Columbia a little after Aug 1 for whatever is in there (chinook, coho) and was wondering if any of you guys could post a picture of a typical setup that has a chance to catch either. I usually use prawns while trolling in the Willamette and caught some on some home-made spinners that a guy at BC told me to make and use. Would I use the same spinners (number 5's, I think) with about 3-5 oz weight bouncing off the bottom or is there something else I should consider using? I've never fished for coho before becasue I coach football at a high school in the fall, but I'd like to get some fishing in before camp and doubles start Aug 17.

O
osmosis
The same stuff you use in the willamette for chinook will work in the columbia for both coho and chinook.
Plugs, spinners, diver and bait, plunking/backbouncing bait, pretty much everything catches fish. The hard part is putting it in front of a biter.

F
FishSchooler
Anyone know what the run is like with the tualatin?

O
osmosis
yep, it is extremely extremely small. It is only a couple hundred (on a very good year) wild coho, and then a very small number of stray fish. There is no hatchery on the tualatin.
You are MUCH better off fishing the clackamas or the sandy.

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:
yep, it is extremely extremely small. It is only a couple hundred (on a very good year) wild coho, and then a very small number of stray fish. There is no hatchery on the tualatin.
You are MUCH better off fishing the clackamas or the sandy.

Thats what I thought! I saw in someone's map that people fish for them at the mouth of the T.