Coho salmon on the Columbia river

O
osmosis
Yep B.C. changed which bells that they stock...

Thanks FF, We'll do some slaughtering in just a few short months :D

Here is some more gear that is all certified coho killers. Just to show you some more options for this fall. This is all stuff for bank fishing. Out of a boat is a whole 'nother story.

april20362.jpg

april20363.jpg

april20361.jpg

april20360.jpg

april20359.jpg

april20358.jpg

april20356.jpg

april20355.jpg

april20354.jpg

april20353.jpg

april20351.jpg

april20350.jpg

A good supply of these cured correctly helps as well:

april20364.jpg

april20365.jpg

Can you guys tell this is my favorite time of year :D

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
I would have never guessed...:lol:...those eggs look tight! Wonder if it's time to start making 2 1/2" hootchie spinners with number 5 blades yet?:lol:

M
metalmania
And I thought I had to many tackle boxes:lol:. Damn dude i'm truly jealous.

T
Troutier Bassier
Wow, This reminds me why I should stop buying Snickers and start buying Spinners.

K
Kodiak
Fishing party

Fishing party

We are going to have a Coho get together with everybody this fall. Any suggestions of when? Maybe try and get a grip of OFFers one weekend on EC or the clack and just plug every hole with guys from the boards, just for giggles.

O
osmosis
My tackle room is a serious headache when organization day rolls around! I have a whole bedroom in the house that is nothing but tackle and rods. Way too much stuff collected over the years. thats just the stuff that I throw for coho in the pics, and I left a lot of good ones out ;).

Please do some #4 french blade hootchie spinners for me Kodiak!
You've seen the fury that is my egg cure Kodiak :) you think my chinook cure is good, My coho cure is way more dialed.

The best thing to do date wise, to make sure we all spank tons of fish, would be to hit cedar creek area on the sandy once the fish stack up. Otherwise it is so hit or miss day to day on the clack and EC, that we might end up fishing on a day with no mooving fish, and that just sucks. EC is essentially useless when fish arent moving.

Last edited:
N
ninja2010
oooh, oooh... i want to go, i want to go... :lol:

F
FishSchooler
I am currently dying 3 blades, Nickel, Brass, and black brass in purple UV dye and they look shiny purple and UVish!

Also a record breaing 8080 steelhead yesterday over bonneville!

T
Troutier Bassier
Ill go to the Coho Thing.
Cedar creek is the Place.
Or somewhere on the Sandy.

K
Kodiak
Ok, so we'll do cedar creek on the sandy and make a day of it. Is there any place to fire up the BBQ.....I will donate a fish or two from the morning's whack and stack. Maybe haul some smoker chips and toss into the BBQ while I'm doing it. I just need to look at my schedule and we'll get it all figured out.

O
osmosis
I think we'd have to do a good old pit fire with a wire grill over it to cook at the river. There should be tons of fish up at cedar creek in just 2 months.

A
adambomb
I thought I was getting excited about hunting season, then you guys go and really get my blood pumping! I would love to join you guys for the coho chaos, if that's ok.

O
osmosis
Of course you can come, this is for everyone that can make it.
We'll go to EC several times this fall. You have my number, call me after it starts raining here in september

F
FishFinger
Cedar Creek...You folks crack me up... Just the thought of packing in a BBQ makes me laugh, packing it back out makes me laugh even harder. I'd suggest a recon be done further up the Sandy say near Welches and perhaps even near the mouth of the Salmon River.

Now that you all are laughing at me for such a insane idea...

Allow me to explain.

With the removal of Marmot dam a strange thing happened last year.

The catch and release purists who only target "native" fish were suddenly packing out fin clipped, the likes of which has not been seen before. All the while the hatchery folks were scratching their collective nuggets wondering why the pins weren't full of both Chinook and Silvers.

When word got back about the crazi hatchery fish so far up river, fish and game promptly netted the mouth of the Salmon to get their brood stock.

Theory is with the removal of the dam, conditions had changes enough to throw the fish off the sent of "home" and they moved up beyond the hatchery proper. Granted it's a hunch on my part but I believe we could/ will see the same thing occur again for perhaps the next two to three returns.

Not until the fry which have encoded the "new" river conditions return as adults will the fish again basically back up at and below Cedar Creek.

Just a thought....

Last edited by a moderator:
O
osmosis
yep reasonable theory, as they did net some fish up there. not because they didn't get enough though - it was mostly because if they left tons of hatchery fish up there it would complicate the escapement %age they are allowed for hatchery fish to naturally spawn. (they dont want hatchery spawning with wild).
Even though you had big numbers push past the cedar area last year, you had more stop to be caught than we had on our whole run on the clack/EC.

H
here2fish
actually.......

actually.......

I talked to hatchery dude yesterday and he told me they had 0 return and were forced to go to salmon confluence in order to get broodstock.

Also scoped salmon confluence today and it was filled with swimmers...:(
which is a frequent problem in the summer up there. Thats what is cool about Cedar Creek no swimmers and very few rafters.

Last edited:
O
osmosis
I heard what I just said from Ben W. that works at that hatchery. Not sure why we were told conflicting stories from the same hatchery. I was told all of this last fall while it was happening.

When they netted the confluence they caught several sockeye in the nets with their coho and chinook.

K
Kodiak
I don't care where...just asl long as we have a grip of OFFer's having a good time before winter forces us to wait for conditions for winter steel. It would be fun, the guys that know whats up helping to teach the guys that dont know...B.S'n having a great time.

F
FishKiller23
Count me in as well.... I can't wait just hope I can take a few days off lol just started working again so I am busybusybusy.

H
here2fish
huh

huh

yah thats weird. Not sure on the guys name but he told me this yesterday like I said earlier and was speaking of last year.

He also told me that they havent got any nooks. Said they wont even try to go up the creek when its low, they've just been blowing by. Which seems right to me b/c I have seen only a handful of adults come out of cc area.

But who knows maybe hes just bs'n me.