Lots of action on the lower Columbia

Irishrover
Irishrover
Yesterday was a good day on the lower Columbia. Folks were catching fish on both the Oregon and Washington sides. We left the Skipanon with four of us on the and headed to the Washington side and went up river east of the bridge. We went up past the ship wreck and found 30 feet of water and began trolling with the out going tide. The place was packed with a lot of boats. It look like the old days at bouy 10...a real mess. People were catching fish, but the water was so ruff it wasn't fun to fish. Too many boat and instead of going out side to run up river, the boater were running fast opposite the fishing boats trolling down river. I made one pass and went west of the bridge and fished along Desdemona Sands in 35 feet of water. I lost two on a half red half white spinner and we lost two more on herring. We did see other boats landing fish on that side. About the time the tide started to switch we ran over to the Oregon side and fish the Hammon area. Thats was where we put three fat chinook and one nice silver in the boat. The fish were hitting both the spinners and the herring. The nice thing was there were no sea lions on patrol to sea the salmon. The day before yesterday we lost two fish to those pesky fellow over on the Washington side. Taking this morning off, but wil head out to hit the afternoon tide. I'll post pictures when I figure out what is wrong with the camera.

The first picture is from yesterday...note the rain gear. Second picture is one of two chinook my wife and I caught today. We went out at the early hour of 3pm and were head in by 5pm. Nice flat water and not too many boats. Both of todays chinook were caught on a half red half white spinner with a size 7 blade. We were fishing the green line by Hammon with the lines out at 25 pulls.

• 063.jpg
  • 070.jpg
Last edited:
W
wozniasm
Outstanding!:clap::clap::clap:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great report! :clap: Thanks for sharing, Lon! :D

B
bigsteel
nice work lonn

T
troutmasta
Nice fish, Its nice to be rewarded when you put in the work.