Coho in the Molalla

K
kcnoel1
Where would be a good place to try for coho in the Molala?

M
Modest_Man
You're two weeks too late.

E
eugene1
Oh come on, MM that's no fun! You don't think any of the fresh ones still coming up daily are headed to the Mo?

Best,

T
troutmasta
Nope they all died two weeks ago. Dont go there....:lol:

kcnoel1- I'm sure if you hit it you'll find some fish- I wish I knew of some spots to tell ya- I like to explore myself

Tight lines-

M
Moe
Depending on how hungover I am Saturday a.m. I may go hit it around the mouth

M
Mutiny
How far up the river do they go? Anyone ever catch them up in the recreation corridor?

O
OnTheDrop
I would **** my pants if you could get a coho to bite up there.

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
I have spent 60+ hrs on the lower section a couple of miles above the mouth and have a lot of casting practice as a result....:sad:
Im sure glad im not into this for catching.....;)
Tossing a few diff kinds of spoons, the water is also ridiculously low now.

K
kcnoel12
So last Saturday my wife and I went to the mouth of the Molala. What an adventure. Here is a picture of where went:
Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 3.49.43 AM.png
After fishing where the power lines cross the water with no luck tossing spinners and twitching jigs, we decided to try the the bend in the river to the right, So we cut off into the woods and got completely turned around for almost an hour! OMG, those woods are full of brambles, fallen tress and muddy holes! Needless to say we finally made our way out and ended up back on the river right bellow the last fallen tree in this picture:
Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 3.50.33 AM.jpg
So we made the best of it and fished along the entire bend of the river for about an hour. Nada, tried spinners, spoons, drifting roe and twitching jigs.
Finally we came to point in the river where we couldn't keep going as it was getting too deep so back through the woods for another treck through the jungle. Made it out to the road fairly easy this time ( I could see the power lines!) and we decided to try at the mouth itself. My wife ended up catching her first coho here as well:
DSCF0793.jpg
So, if anyone else wants to try that section of river I suggest that you bring a compass and a machete! At least the one my wife caught shows that there is a future for this fishery. And yes, he was released back into the water to rerun in a few years.:)

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Molalla is closed to bait for all but a couple months.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
NWDiscer said:
Molalla is closed to bait for all but a couple months.

good point, take note that the Regs say bait only allowed May 15 to July 15!

M
Modest_Man
Your coho is a Chinook. And using bait. Come on. Read the regulations. No bait is to protect the wild winter steelhead juveniles.

If I was going to try for coho right now I would go up much higher than the mouth, and on the slim chance I got a coho I'd expect it to be pretty dark.

I hooked one at Wagonwheel park probably three weeks ago but it quickly came off.

I can tell you that we've been electroshocking the Willamette near the mouth of the Molalla, Yamhill, and Santiams the last three and we've only seen two coho, both two weeks ago. Counts have really dropped off. More may push through with the predicted rain this weekend. We've seen one boat working the mouth of the Santiams and Molalla, while there were about 10 boats on the mouth of the Yamhill.

Last edited:
K
kcnoel12
Ok. Got it on the Coho being a Chinook. Was kind of hard to tell. As i am new to fishing in Oregon I am trying to learn where to go and when. We've been out every weekend since the Sept. rains have let up and all we have to show is one Coho (but may have been an early Summer run steelie) on the Sandy that wasn't clipped and was released and the Chinook pictured above. (which was also released) I do appoligize for not reading the the regs regarding the use of bait in the Molala. I grew up in Massachusetts where the regulations were so simple they only take up one page for the entire state! So I will ALWAYS in the future check the regulations before I hit a specific body of water in the future. I guess that I'll try there next year when the run is going hotter. It was a nice place to fish. Any suggestions as to where to try this weekend????:worthy:

W
waco
Any river on the coast range!!

K
kcnoel1
waco said:
Any river on the coast range!!
OK. What river do recommend for someone without a boat?

T
troutmasta
Wilson

K
kcnoel1
troutmasta said:

Thank you. So we go up high or down low? I did find the interactive Wilson River map in my quest to land some coho.

M
markasd
No body wants to fish with a lot of other dudes... that being said, most dudes congregate where the fish are. Drive the Wilson and look for a lot of rigs... pull over and start fishin'! Chances are real good there are fish where rigs are. Just sayin'... get out and do it!!!

The regs are a handful, gotta have a book in your auto any where you fish... too many regs to try to remember.

K
kcnoel1
Sounds Like a plan! And good point on keeping a regs book in the car at all times!