Clackamas steelhead, tiny violins, whine and cheese festival

C
ChezJfrey
I had a good March, April started to wane and although a week ago, I went 1 for 5, I haven't touched a fish all this week and I've been hitting it hard. Tried up, down, mid river and though I've seen a few fish, can't seem to find them like I did this time last year and can't get a consistent bite. Was out for several hours yesterday and watched a guy walk up across the river, start casting and within 15-20 minutes, hooks one up and banks it. Argh!

Went out today for hours and got nothing but damp. April was tough and May has been pretty dismal. Just here to whine and listen to the melancholy violins of despair...nothing really to report...just venting. Thanks for listening, LOL :)

R
rippin fish lips
Looks like i better make a report. Went 3 for 4 in 3 days, then nothin for a solid week. Turned into tough fishing.

S
Silvers&Steelies
I hit the lower clackamas 3 times this week with nothing. Seen a lot of smolts jumping and that's about it. Haven't seen any boats or bank fisherman with fish when I've been out.

B
Bgunder
You guys complain about not getting into fish for a couple weeks but I haven't touched a steelhead in months so just be happy your getting any at all....

C
ChezJfrey
Bgunder said:
You guys complain about not getting into fish for a couple weeks but I haven't touched a steelhead in months so just be happy your getting any at all....

I know...how quickly I lose perspective, eh? LOL

A buddy and I laugh at myself when I get to thinking, "what's up?" after a week of no fish considering that in 2011, I caught absolutely zero steelhead in a full 12 months of chasing them.

I figure the constant mental pressure will keep me on my 'A' game :)

S
skunk
I never see you anymore chez, Ive been hitting it pretty hard also and nothing the last 2 weeks. Been staying low waiting for the springers and summers to slip by. My buddy got one monday but it was small, like 5lbs. Let me know if you want to hit it up monday or tues. afternoon. They did slip by up where I saw you that one time, and I had a good bite but that was only 2 days. Seems like there's a bit of a hole in the river right now. End of the week I'm going to maupin if you want to join up for some crazy troutsies.

C
ChezJfrey
skunk said:
I never see you anymore chez, Ive been hitting it pretty hard also and nothing the last 2 weeks. Been staying low waiting for the springers and summers to slip by. My buddy got one monday but it was small, like 5lbs. Let me know if you want to hit it up monday or tues. afternoon. They did slip by up where I saw you that one time, and I had a good bite but that was only 2 days. Seems like there's a bit of a hole in the river right now. End of the week I'm going to maupin if you want to join up for some crazy troutsies.

I'm out just about every chance I get, so it must be a case of the low-odds timing because it sounds like you and I are fishing all the time :)

And I was eyeballing my calendar for this time of year to hit that spot we saw each other because of all the fish and success I had this time last year. Saw some fish initially, but couldn't get them to bite. Then my buddy hooked a darker one, then lost a bright one, so figured it was about to turn on there, but after that...still quiet for me around there. But, I know they are around, I still see a few in tailouts and saw 5 recent blood marks my last trek in that stretch where we met, so I'm thinking that window around that area is still open for a bit.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I would like to be able to fish for a week strait!