Clack above Estacata?

F
Fly_n_Fish
I was planning to hit the clack this Friday and was wondering how fishable it was between Estacata and north fork. I will be fly fishing from shore and I haven't been to that area. Any suggestions on other sections would be good also.

O
OnTheDrop
For some trout? Can be pretty fun up there on a 4 wt!

T
troutmasta
Its great fishing! one of my favorite fisheries! Stacked with winters and the summers and springers are just arriving.

T
tnffishman
There's some spots to hit with the fly around faraday dam

J
jrbecca
SteelmonKiller20 said:
For some trout? Can be pretty fun up there on a 4 wt!

But isn't that area closed for trout until May 25?

C
chrisohm
jrbecca said:
But isn't that area closed for trout until May 25?

Yes it is.

T
troutmasta
guess youll have to fish for rainbow trout above 20"..... thats wide open. Good Luck.

B
burlajohnny
Where is that place you're talking about between Estacada and North Fork?

F
flytrekker1007
Rainbow trout above 20 inches are considered steelhead, and there is no summer run above Estacada. The only summer run that was up there was hatchery summers, and that ended in 1997 or 1999. There is a wild winter run, but you can't fish for steelhead or salmon up that far, it's in the regs.

T
troutmasta
flytrekker1007 said:
Rainbow trout above 20 inches are considered steelhead, and there is no summer run above Estacada. The only summer run that was up there was hatchery summers, and that ended in 1997 or 1999. There is a wild winter run, but you can't fish for steelhead or salmon up that far, it's in the regs.

Obviously Rainbows above 20" are steelhead..:think:... it was a reference to the fact that you Absolutley Can fish up there for Salmon and Steelhead, and the pun being if trout are closed go fish for Steelhead. Heres the ODFW regs:

. Estacada Lake (also referred to as
River Mill Reservoir) up to Cazadero
Dam
• Open for adipose fin-clipped trout May 25-Oct. 31, 5 trout per day, 8 inch minimum
length.
Open for adipose fin-clipped Chinook salmon and adipose fin-clipped steelhead all year.
• Use of bait allowed.
• Trout over 20 inches are considered steelhead.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped coho salmon Aug. 1-Oct. 31.
• No angling between markers 400 feet upstream and 126 feet downs stream from the
downstream corner of Faraday Powerhouse June 16-Oct. 31.
• No angling from the entrance of the fishway/fish trap at Cazadero Dam downstream to
yellow deadline markers (approximately 275 feet)

clipped Springer at Cazadero 2012, clipped Summer at Cazadero 2012 (over 9 pounds)

They have an awesome run still.

Last edited by a moderator:
F
flytrekker1007
Your correct, I was referring to the UPPER Clack, past the reservoir, which you can't fish for steel or salmon up that far. I looked at the counts and it's pretty bad over rivermill. So when does do the counts go up, because those numbers aren't very good.

T
troutmasta
The fish hold in that section till fall. The water that comes down the ladder at Cazedero is From the top of Faraday and Warm the fish dont like it and hold through out that whole section up to the dam. It gets stacked right about now. The trickle in but they usually dont go any where.