Bank vs. boat fishing

T
templeFork30
ok this seems stupid to me but

everybody is telling me boat fishing for steelhead is way easier than bank fishing ................

but when you cast from a boat you cast TOWARDS THE BANK ??????

if im fishing from the bank why would i buy a 8,000 dollar boat just so i can cast to the bank

Reactions: pinstriper
jamisonace
jamisonace
It's the access to water and other types of fishing like pulling plugs or running bait divers that make the difference.

S
Steelheader4Life
I have done both for many years and you will catch more fish in a drift boat because you can get to so many holes that bank fishing doesn't allow. I love both but the numbers are noticeably higher when you can fish an 8 mile stretch of river. And who says you need to spend $8k? I picked my drift boat up for $2k and I'm still rocking it 8 years later. You don't always cast towards the bank from a boat, sometimes you do, but sometimes it's behind that rock, or over that log, or, well you get the point.

F
fishsauce
Yes, all that was said above. Ironically, guys with drift boats or pontoons get access to certain holes only to get out and fish from the bank.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
True. I do it all the time in certain types of water.

hobster
hobster
You don't need a boat. I have been in a driftboat less than 10 times in my life and catch plenty of fish from the bank. ^^^ What was said above is true, and being in a boat also gives you different angles to drift fish that aren't possible from shore. In a lot of cases you can run a bobber from the bank where people in a boat are casting to. Boats do let you cover a lot more water, but i hate sitting so much because of my bad back and feel confined in a boat. I like to hike and move around plus i don't seem to have a lot of luck from boats, maybe it's karma. Bank Maggot for life!!

S
sapo
Hey temple fork, I don't have a boat but I've talked to countless people with boats and, besides the cost and the maintenance, they catch more fish usually. You're not always casting to the bank (although there are a lot of fish there), you drift down and fish good sections of water, whereas when you're bank fishing you're usually very limited in the amount of water you can fish. Also...you don't need 8,000 for a drift boat.

C
Camo
How about ''Bank AND boat fishing! I spend much more time fishing in places where you couldn't have a boat. And Sapo's right, Why would you need or want an eight thousand dollar drift boat?

P
pinstriper
A boat is nothing more than a piece of bank you can choose where to put it, and then change that choice afterwards.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Camo said:
How about ''Bank AND boat fishing! I spend much more time fishing in places where you couldn't have a boat. And Sapo's right, Why would you need or want an eight thousand dollar drift boat?
I don't know about $8k but I have my eye on a $14k drift boat I've been drooling over. Anyone feel like buying it for me?

M
montym
What kind of boat that is Jamie? The kind where fish jumps in while you drink a cold one?

D
DrTheopolis
I don't think $14K gets you through the front door at Pavati.

jamisonace
jamisonace
It's a used Pavati. Not sure what they are new. I figure since I can't catch fish at least I can look good.

O
OnTheDrop
DrTheopolis said:
I don't think $14K gets you through the front door at Pavati.

My next boat is going to be a Stealthcraft..

Going to be popular in this neck of the woods soon. Hopefully sooner, than later, too!

Boats are rad.

D
DrTheopolis
I'm starting to think powerdrifters are pretty cool.

Seen some demos being done on the Clack by Clackacraft.

T
templeFork30
i love willie boats diamondplated omg and only like 5,700 with trailer

D
DrTheopolis
templeFork30 said:
i love willie boats diamondplated

Those are serious lookers... not that it matters.

But still quite sweet.

N
Native Fisher
I want a boat for ocean fishing...Rivers I'd like a nice pontoon, mostly I like to fish areas where drift boats can't go.

S
Steelheader4Life
Yeah, but the $5,700 is just the starting price for a bare bones boat. By the time you add everything you need you're looking at $10,000 or more.

D
DrTheopolis
Steelheader4Life said:
Yeah, but the $5,700 is just the starting price for a bare bones boat. By the time you add everything you need you're looking at $10,000 or more.

I actually looked at the Willie site. I was surprised by how well-equipped the basic packages are. Seats, oars, anchor -- pretty much gets you on the water. Sure, you'll be wanting more accessories (front anchor is mighty nice), but the base package gets you on the water.