Another (soon-to-be) new arrival to Oregon

D
DirectDrive
Welcome to the forum and to the PNW when you get here !
Summer steelhead will be on the docket when you arrive.
The Deschutes River is my favorite place to do battle with these beasts.

Much of our fishing areas are publicly owned so access is generally very good.

Summer is a good time to come to the PNW...everything is blooming in full glory.
Safe travels.

M
Midgie Hater
Thanks DirectDrive :) Yes I notice that in terms of trout your season starts later than ours. In Scotland the trout fishing season begins, in general, around the middle of March whereas, from what i've read and heard, yours begins in either April or usually May and runs until the end of October? However, as you say, it seems I may be timing things well for the Steelheads, albeit from what i've read in the regs. it would appear that Steelhead run the Sandy (or at least can be fished) all year? Good to hear more info. about the Deschutes too. I read some stuff by a guy called Tom Rosenbauer who I believe is (or was once) connected with Orvis? He mentioned a long-held ambition to fish the Deschutes (don't know if he ever got there though? Haven't read anything too recent by him) I later got hold of a book called "Prospecting for Trout" which my wife Becky got me because I was interested in fishing for them between the rises, which that particular book focusses on. To some extent some of the techniques he described for U.S rivers translated quite well to Scotland, albeit some of the fly patterns described were different to what we would use here. However, fly choices for trout in the States, and the NW in particular, are for a different thread, especially as it's such a huge and subjective issue. I'm sure if I do a forum search that very subject will crop up :)

D
DirectDrive
Midgie Hater said:
Thanks DirectDrive :) Yes I notice that in terms of trout your season starts later than ours. In Scotland the trout fishing season begins, in general, around the middle of March whereas, from what i've read and heard, yours begins in either April or usually May and runs until the end of October? However, as you say, it seems I may be timing things well for the Steelheads, albeit from what i've read in the regs. it would appear that Steelhead run the Sandy (or at least can be fished) all year? Good to hear more info. about the Deschutes too. I read some stuff by a guy called Tom Rosenbauer who I believe is (or was once) connected with Orvis? He mentioned a long-held ambition to fish the Deschutes (don't know if he ever got there though? Haven't read anything too recent by him) I later got hold of a book called "Prospecting for Trout" which my wife Becky got me because I was interested in fishing for them between the rises, which that particular book focusses on. To some extent some of the techniques he described for U.S rivers translated quite well to Scotland, albeit some of the fly patterns described were different to what we would use here. However, fly choices for trout in the States, and the NW in particular, are for a different thread, especially as it's such a huge and subjective issue. I'm sure if I do a forum search that very subject will crop up :)
Some trout fisheries are open year round.
Late Spring openers are usually put in place to protect salmon and steelhead smolts on their downriver passage.

There are two races of steelhead, summer and winter.
They are similar to your Atlantics in regards to fishing for them.
I think of them as junkyard dogs and I'm poking a sharp stick at them...."matching the hatch" is generally not very important when tangling with Mr. Big.

There are also two races of Chinook....Fall and Spring.
Fishing is a year round disease here.

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Midgie Hater said:

hey Les- one more thing to note on trout seasons, in most lakes it is open all year round and there are many that don't allow powerboats but you can use float tubes/pontoons/canoes/kayaks to get out into deeper water...cheers, roger

M
Midgie Hater
Thanks again folks for yet more comprehensive and useful information :)

Directdrive - yeah I kind of figure that when attempting to ensnare one of these monster fish, fly-type probably isn't that significant :) I wonder in fact if your salmonids and steelheads are a bit like our Atlantics in another respect: if they're in a taking mood you could probably offer then almost anything and they'll chase it? (This doesn't of course translate into a landed fish though!). I caught a 6lb (not big I know) Salmon on my local river with a size 14 gold-head nymph. Obviously I wasn't fishing for salmon. It was the last day of the trout season and the day before I was out with my lightweight river rod and managed to snap it into six pieces! Determined not to miss the last day of the season I went next day with my 9'6" 6/7#. Good job I did! Can't imagine what would have happened if i'd connected with this fish using my 3# (probably the same thing that happened to it the day before when I got snagged by a big trout which kindly shedded the fly and left it embedded in a log while it made it's escape :(

Interesting to hear many lakes are open all year. I'd imagine though that many of those in the higher country would not be accessible before May because of snow blocking the trails. On the other hand I could dig out my skis.... ;)

Thanks again. Les

M
Midgie Hater
Hi folks. Just wanted to check in to say "hi" and that I haven't gone away, but obviously haven't posted again because I haven't arrived in the NW yet. However, on that subject there's an update: I have my final visa interview on 30th May and I hope to get things wound up here so that i'll be able to head over by end of June at the earliest if I can swing it, but perhaps early July to be realistic. I hope everyone is enjoying their fishing and i'll speak to you again soon I hope - maybe even hook up (sorry!) once i'm settled. Thanks all :) Les

M
Midgie Hater
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but I thought it best to bring it back to the top in order to save a lot of explanation as I'm sure you've all forgotten, but:

I arrived In OR from Scotland on September 3rd. Living in Troutdale off Stark. No fishing yet sadly, although I've been up to Timberline Lodge and scrambled up Hood a bit, as well as out to the Oregon coast and even to Mt. St. Helen's - doing the tourist bit basically, to see some key locations in the NW. I don't even have a State license so far anyway so can't "wet a line" as they say in Scotland, but hope to do so soon, although while still a non-resident it's a bit pricy (but good value of course!).

Hmm, perhaps that's where to start. When does the license year run? If purchasing one late in the year are there discounts or would I be better buying one on a daily or other basis and waiting until the new "cycle" begins? I'm guessing with the two months-or-more of hot, dry weather the fishing hasn't been the greatest, so I'm sure the rain in the last couple of days has been welcome. My lovely wife ran me down to Oxbow yesterday - just to scan the route for cycling so I know the best route to get there once conditions pick up. Sadly I can't do any fly fishing at the moment though as all my fly gear is still in transit from Scotland, but I do have a couple of spinning rods and some lures with me so I'm set up for at least some fishing when the opportunity arises.

Hope to meet some of you out there. All advice/thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Les

W
wozniasm
Les;
The fishing license expires on December 31st so may I suggest going with non-resident daily licenses. Note that the price listed doesn't include trout or salmon so there will be an additional charge.

Now in Missouri, I'm not much help as the locals will be. May I suggest you start a "new thread" with your latest post to get more responses.
Glad you finally made it. Now get out there and enjoy the scenery!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Just to be clear, the daily licenses allow you to fish for anything, they include 'tags' for the days they are valid. The annual license does not, you need to also buy a combined angling tag to fish for salmon/steelhead/halibut.

Cheers, roger

T
troutmasta
Copy that. Daily license comes with tags.

J
JonT
You live right by the Sandy, man. Get on it.

W
wozniasm
rogerdodger said:
Just to be clear, the daily licenses allow you to fish for anything, they include 'tags' for the days they are valid. The annual license does not, you need to also buy a combined angling tag to fish for salmon/steelhead/halibut.

Cheers, roger
Thanks for clearing that up Rodger and TM! I wasn't aware of that.

M
Midgie Hater
Thanks folks :) Yes, I thought the day licenses came with tags after reading up on it (again) the other day. I had a PDF of the regs. but when scoping out Oxbow Park a couple of evenings ago I go a hard copy.

So yes, it looks like day licenses are the way to go. Now for some rain...:sad: On the other hand, as JonT says, I should just get out there anyway and give it a go.

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to some great interaction and maybe bumping into some of you when I do "get on it" ;)

Oh and yes, I'll start a new thread next time!

P
phishin fool
So, if you move to Oregon and fish a lot, it costs a lot of money to fish until you're there for six months? That hyardly seems fair...

T
troutmasta
Life's not fair....;)

troutdude
troutdude
phishin fool said:
So, if you move to Oregon and fish a lot, it costs a lot of money to fish until you're there for six months? That hyardly seems fair...

It keeps the riff raff, to a minimum.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You will have to forgive our resident "5th generation Oregonian" snob. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 97% of the present Oregon residents immigrated here from other states or counties. I came from Colorado at the ripe old age of 6 weeks and I'm fairly sure no one has ever called me "riff raff". ;) I think the state simply wants to make sure a new resident is committed to staying rather than visiting and reaping our natural resources without knowing how precious they all are. There is a reason Oregonians are known as "tree huggers", we tend to value and protect our resources rigorously. Hang in there, it will pass fairly quickly compared to the next 20+ years. :thumb:

P
phishin fool
Raincatcher said:
You will have to forgive our resident "5th generation Oregonian" snob. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 97% of the present Oregon residents immigrated here from other states or counties. I came from Colorado at the ripe old age of 6 weeks and I'm fairly sure no one has ever called me "riff raff". ;) I think the state simply wants to make sure a new resident is committed to staying rather than visiting and reaping our natural resources without knowing how precious they all are. There is a reason Oregonians are known as "tree huggers", we tend to value and protect our resources rigorously. Hang in there, it will pass fairly quickly compared to the next 20+ years. :thumb:

I'm going to be buying a home in Oregon and selling the 2 I have in California. Isn't that committed enough. Also, my dad was born in Oregon...

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
phishin fool said:
I'm going to be buying a home in Oregon and selling the 2 I have in California. Isn't that committed enough. Also, my dad was born in Oregon...
It would be for me, but not for ODFW. Sorry.

D
DrTheopolis
Raincatcher said:
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 97% of the present Oregon residents immigrated here from other states or counties[sic].

Us 3-percenters are pretty snobby about it, too.