Another great day out of Astoria

Irishrover
Irishrover
Incredible two back to back flat days in the Pacific out of Astoria. Lots of silvers out just past the CR buoy and the old hoochie brought them to the boat, It was so flat out there that I saw some folks out there in a rubber raft. Limits of fish both days.

• DSC01087.jpg
  • DSC01083.jpg
troutdude
troutdude
Most excellent!

4labs
4labs
Way to go Irish.Looks like a great season to come.Love fishing straight hoochies,less mess and you don't have to worry about your bait being torn up.And a flat day!!!
It's dead down here in the ocean for salmon.Fish have yet to to show in Brookings.

B
BaldTexan
Nice! Love fishing in the salt when I can fight a fish without fighting my balance at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H
Hookset
Awesome report. I sure hope that is a sign of a good season to come.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I like running straight hoochies too, quick and easy to fish. Here is how I tie mine up I put a small spinner blade in front. Looks like the nice flat oceans is going to be ruffed up a bit the next few days. Hot days in the valley bring in strong ocean winds.

Reactions: rogerdodger
F
fishsauce
IR, I saw you out there Tuesday. Thought I remembered reading about the Teresa D from somewhere.

Curious about your hoochie rig. What size hoochie is that? What size french blade? Thanks!

We only fished for salmon a short time as my brother got sea sick. We did get 30 nice crab in 30-60 FOW behind the south jetty. Plus a handful of black rocks.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Has your brother ever tried those patches folks wear to prevent sea sickness. My wife wears them all the time and they work well for her. The hoochie is the large one about four inches at least. I use a mooching rig with a bead on ahead of the first hook to keep the hoochie from sliding over the hook. Then a couple of beads a plastic clevis then a small blade about the size of my thumb. I can't remember the actual size. I've used that set up for a few year and it work well.

Last year at about this time there was an incident on the Columbia River bar. That is probably what you may have read about.

What's you boat I'll look for you next time out. Hopefully next week if the winds are good.

S
SteelieRn
Nice report, Thank you. I plan on being there Sunday. Hopefully it's not too rough.

F
fishsauce
Irishrover said:
Has your brother ever tried those patches folks wear to prevent sea sickness. My wife wears them all the time and they work well for her. The hoochie is the large one about four inches at least. I use a mooching rig with a bead on ahead of the first hook to keep the hoochie from sliding over the hook. Then a couple of beads a plastic clevis then a small blade about the size of my thumb. I can't remember the actual size. I've used that set up for a few year and it work well.

Last year at about this time there was an incident on the Columbia River bar. That is probably what you may have read about.

What's you boat I'll look for you next time out. Hopefully next week if the winds are good.

Don't think he has tried the patches, I'll suggest that.

Also do you add bait to your hoochie rig? I cannot wait to give that a shot.

I remember that incident. You're quite the hero... seriously those folks were luck you were there.

I'm in the red HewesCraft with hardtop. My season is just starting so I should be there when weather permits. Make sure to say HI.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I very rarely put bait on the hoochie. I used to put a chunk of herring on the last hook, but I quit doing that as I was catching fish without it. I still bring at least one package of bait on each trip if for no other reason than luck. See you out there.

S
SteelieRn
Went out of Hammond today at daylight. Very rough. I rarely get ill but was queasy the whole time. Fished from the CR bouy in the direction the wind took us. Did I say it was rough???? I used the hoochie rig Irish rover described and we got our limits. Thanks for sharing Irish. Three limits today and a few silvers over 24 buy the fish checkers stick. We were fishing a delta diver with a flasher directly behind it and approx 6' of leader. At first, despite the crappy conditions, I was getting bit at 25-30 ft with no bait. The bite died off after the wind calmed and I put an anchovie on the first hook and buried the head in the hoochie and went to 15-20 feet. We got our limits pretty quick after that. The sea calmed quite a bit and the run in was much easier... Good to get some fish...

Irishrover
Irishrover
Good job glad those worked for you. Fishing in a ruff ocean can be a challenge and not something that I enjoy anymore. Good to here it clamed down for the return trip.

R
rakane
I'm another guy that likes to fish hootchies. I use lots of white ones and never add bait. I will smear some scent jelly inside the hootchie on occasion. I have had good luck with a paste, Salt & Anchovy (cannot recall the maker).