Another big brown from the Deschutes

S
steelhead_slayer
Thanks guys.

alm21 said:
Your fish keep getting bigger and bigger. Nice work!
Thats a trend i could handle :D

S
steelhead_slayer
i had 5 free minutes so i threw 3 casts and landed this guy :D

• 20120129163652.jpg
T
troutramp
ridiculous. Imna have try that with this fly i tie. hmmmmmm..........

T
The Nothing
That's out of control!

A
alm21
Geez Wes, how to close to the water are you? Do you live or work right by or something? Going pro!

S
steelhead_slayer
it's pretty close. i try to get a line wet as often as i can to feed my addiction.

S
steelhead_slayer
I took the fly i got from the nothing out this morning. I Had a little trouble finding a place to cast and almost quit for the morning. Decided to hit one more spot, and wouldn't you know it fish on. It came right off, but hey the browns like it! The river's going to be at a better level for fly fishing next week. So i'm going to make sure to get out there again then. Thanks again the nothing awesome fly!!!

T
The Nothing
steelhead_slayer said:
I took the fly i got from the nothing out this morning. I Had a little trouble finding a place to cast and almost quit for the morning. Decided to hit one more spot, and wouldn't you know it fish on. It came right off, but hey the browns like it! The river's going to be at a better level for fly fishing next week. So i'm going to make sure to get out there again then. Thanks again the nothing awesome fly!!!

That's what I like to hear! Something that size could also be thrown on conventional tackle pretty easily, but don't tell anyone I said so... ;)

S
steelhead_slayer
yes it could. i could almost cast it like a spinning set up with my fly rod when needed. hooked another one today with the fly, but lost it too. feeling confident tomorrow i'll land one.

S
steelhead_slayer
I worked my ars off for this fish. went all morning with nothing. then when i was about to leave i started using the bass technique of walking the dog and bam! fish on. He rested for a minute by the shore so i took a shot of him with my camera then one with my polarized glasses in front of the lens. looking at the pics i definitely need to start using a real camera instead of my phone

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice!!!

J
john.ellis
Can someone post a google maps picture of where this is at. Just moved to bend, and I'm not too sure I know where this is.

Thanks in advance,
John

S
steelhead_slayer
what are you looking for?

J
john.ellis
steelhead_slayer said:
what are you looking for?

The part of the river that you're catching these fish on. I'm thinking about camping this weekend, and am not too sure where to go.

S
steelhead_slayer
The middle deschutes runs from wickiup to lake billy chinoook. From benham falls to wickiup is still closed right now. there are still plenty of camping opportunities in this area. i couldn't get a map on here but one suggestion is tumalo state park. you should be able to google a few more options.

J
john.ellis
Do you know anything about the camping above smith rock (near prineville) on the crooked river? I hear it's pretty good up there as well.

S
steelhead_slayer
john.ellis said:
Do you know anything about the camping above smith rock (near prineville) on the crooked river? I hear it's pretty good up there as well.

yes there is good fishing over there. i would personally camp above prineville near the dam. There are plenty of campsites off the side of the road there, and lots or eager rainbows

S
sunsalem
I live in Sunriver, but haven't really done much in this part of the river.
a lot of guys have told me Wikiup to Benham is the least productive stretch of the river.
Is this really true?

That stretch of the D looks very "fishy" IMO.:think:

S
steelhead_slayer
I think it is productive. Some portions are not as productive as they were a few years ago, but there are some parts that definitely have good fish. Put in a little time and you'll have a good chance of getting into some fish. IMO

S
sunsalem
Twice I have went out with pro guides from 2 different outfits in Sunriver to give it a try and each guide implied it wasn't a great stretch.
In fact, each thought I was a bit nuts to even want to try.:shock:
Neither seemed familiar with it and each time I caught only a couple of small fry...