Another big brown from the Deschutes

B
bigsteel
Matukas,muddler minnow,any sculpin imitation,wooley buggers,black ghost streamers

S
steelhead_slayer

Last edited:
S
steelhead_slayer
b5.JPGgood sized brown. not the biggest, but she had a lot of fight in her

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
Cool. Nice fish.

H
Hawk
Those are both reel beauties Bro.
Great Job.:clap::clap::clap:
:D:D:D
:cool:

S
steelhead_slayer
i caught this big boy yesterday.b3.jpg b2.jpg 28in and at least 10 lbs.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Wow. You sure do know how to get into 'em over there!

T
TTFishon
Nice!!!

R
rainbowfisherman
Fantastic Fish!

M
markasd
Nice catches.. you seem to have it dialed in!

W
waco
WOWWW :shock: big fishhh congrats!!!!

S
steelhead_slayer
ive been taking the kids to youth ponds, but finally got a chance to fish myself.2ft brown.jpg i caught this nice 2footer yesterday in a new spot. unfortunately he engulfed my lure, and was bleeding pretty bad. so i had to keep him.

T
TTFishon
Nice!!!

N
nwkiller
wow what a beast. nice fish man!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Flies to use

Flies to use

It looks you were possibly across the river from the motel I stay at when I'm in Bend...will be there tonight with my fly rod actually.

I fish the deep channel behind the motel with a pheasant tail or hares ear (size 14). I use a small split shot to make sure it's on the bottom. I've caught one that size using that technique and many others smaller than that.

From my room I watch guys catching those pigs with rapalas in the frog water but it's hard with a fly rod to cast far enough to make it worth the effort. If I'm mistaken on where you are and you can cast a a fly to those big fish...grab a few different colors of wooley buggers or other fishy looking flies...try matching the color of the rapala you used...and just start working through them until you find one that works.

steelhead_slayer said:
thanks guys! i'm glad to have a place like this where i can share my fish. i want to start catching fish like these on my fly rod. does anyone have some suggestions on streamers? i was thinking of trying some of kelly galloups, and banging the banks with them.

S
steelhead_slayer
you got the spot right. i usually catch smaller fish using nymphs. sometimes bigger rainbows. good to know that'll catch big browns too. i was thinking the same thing with the wooly buggers. its just hard to commit to trying something new with so many great waters around and so little time.thanks for the advise i appreciate it

brandon4455
brandon4455
awesome suggestions. and the flies will ensure the beasts you catch will survive another day. awesome brown dude. :clap:

troutdude
troutdude
If I had only one fly to use for the remainder of my years, it would be a Woolly Bugger...hands down!

S
steelhead_slayer
any suggestions on fishing wooly buggers? i done okay dead drifting them, and ive got a few hit stripping them. i just havent found the right retrieve to entice fish regularly :think:

F
FlyBum
Good to see 1st Street Rapid kickin em out!! Some of your other pics looked like Big Eddy, Dillon or Benham areas?? (Good spots!) A buddy I work with said he saw "some guy" catching big browns with rapallas down there. With the buggers you could get a sinking line and fish them, well, like streamers!! There are some other streamer patterns that I think would do really well down there but you may need a switch rod to get them out enough.

So strip em like streamers!!! (Retrieve retrieve stop, ect..) I tie mine pretty heavily weighted so they drop quick without that pesky split shot. Bait fish patterns I bet would cleanup down there as well as crawdad patterns. I though about miceing for them some time in the evening but I usually don't fish around town unless I'm really Jonesin' :) I think about anything to Pi$$ em off would be the trick to inducing a strike as well as a big meal! Hey I just may run into sometime. I'll look for a guy fightin a big fish!
Cheers!