Another big brown from the Deschutes

S
steelhead_slayer
WOW interesting. I personally know people who float that river and do well. Not necessarily in Sunriver, but mostly above and some below. Also I know below Wickiup to be productive. I am sorry you had bad trips. I don't like to give out bad information.

F
FlyBum
It can be good. Haven't fished it in quite some time. The population of fish per mile there is considerably less then other stretches. So you gotta bring your "A" game with that area :) However, I prefer areas with more fish that are stupid and less picky though. Just my 2 cents.

S
sunsalem
steelhead_slayer said:
WOW interesting. I personally know people who float that river and do well. Not necessarily in Sunriver, but mostly above and some below. Also I know below Wickiup to be productive. I am sorry you had bad trips. I don't like to give out bad information.
I too have heard of some people doing well.
One of those things, I guess....

FlyBum said:
The population of fish per mile there is considerably less then other stretches.
I read somewhere the reason for the lower population is the irrigation and inconsistent flows of water.
Don't know if it's true, but...

It seems a little strange to me ODFW doesn't appear to take much interest in the Wikiup to Benham stretch.
I don't believe it is currently being stocked.

It is a very beautiful part of the river IMO and there are a lot of folks visiting and living around the area.

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
They don't stock trout on the Deschutes anywhere I know of. That's a good thing!

S
steelhead_slayer
agree'd

F
FlyBum
That was a sweet Brownie you sent me on the phone 2day! Were they taking dries? Was the March Brown hatch still coming off?

S
steelhead_slayer
When it warmed up I threw some dries right before I left, and fish were chasing them down good drift or not. Yes there were still march browns out

S
sunsalem
FlyBum said:
They don't stock trout on the Deschutes anywhere I know of. That's a good thing!
As I understand it, Redbands were native in that stretch of the D.
Stocking it now with Reds would be more of a restoration than anything else?

F
FlyBum
Well, they don't and they won't.

S
sunsalem
FlyBum said:
Well, they don't and they won't.

I'm confused...why would that be a bad idea?

S
sunsalem
Today I went exploring on the middle D.

I had heard the salmonfly hatch was going on and went to take a look.
Stopped first at Dillon Falls and, contrary to reports, couldn't find a one.
Decided to go further down to Tumalo State Park.

And yes, there was a hatch of 'em.
All around on the rocks was the remains of the husks.
Tried for about an hour to entice a trout, but no luck.
Finding river access is a problem....guess I'll have to try Cline Falls area next time.

C
cowboysfan
I have caught several nice fish from harpers bridge down to the trout house marina, you are usually good for atleast 1 or 2 20"plus browns on a days walk hitting different holes. (Sunriver area)

Last edited:
S
steelhead_slayer
The hatch started over a week ago. therw are not as many bugs up higher on the river a say from warm springs down, but I have been out there and fish have been taking flies all week

S
sunsalem
cowboysfan said:
I have caught several nice fish from harpers bridge down to the trout house marina, you are usually good for atleast 1 or 2 20"plus browns on a days walk hitting different holes. (Sunriver area)
IIRC, the Wikiup to Benham Falls stretch doesn't open until next weekend.
I will be giving it a go in my new boat sometime this season.

steelhead_slayer said:
The hatch started over a week ago. therw are not as many bugs up higher on the river a say from warm springs down, but I have been out there and fish have been taking flies all week
That is what I thought....Salmonflys are typically found further down the river.

S
steelhead_slayer
[QUOTE
That is what I thought....Salmonflys are typically found further down the river.[/QUOTE]

yes the big masses are, but u can still get fish up higher