Alsea River is fantastic....

F
FishingSlayer89
Got this bad girl at about 8 oclock on wesnesday in the town of alsea, first cast of the day. This is my 5th steely of this year on the alsea. I would have to say that the run is still on and strong.

T
Thuggin4Life
Good job man nice fish!

H
Hawk
Great Job Bro.

That's a reel Beauty

:D:D:D

:clap::clap::clap:

M
Mike123
Toooo crowded for me. I hate having to wake up at 2am and camp just to catch one or two fish.

Niiceeee fish though!!!

C
Cohosanders
Bright Fish

Bright Fish

:)Welcome to the forum...Great first post & Nice fish Marlboro Man:D I need to check out the Alsea for sure. I think it is OFF to the Rogue next weekend. Congratulations on Alsea #5:clap:

18406ej
18406ej
Nice job! Beautiful fish.

T
TroutSlayer
Great job I went out there all day Friday we were the first to a few holes and had to keep cleaning ice off our rods. Tried everything didn't catch a thing and all they wanted to do is showboat by jumping five feet in front of me. As the day went on watched several other fishermen and no one was catching a thing but then I finally hooked and trout on my fly rod but he was quick to get off. definitely heading back after next good rain

C
crusty old fisherman
Mike123 said:
Toooo crowded for me. I hate having to wake up at 2am and camp just to catch one or two fish.

Niiceeee fish though!!!
do they ever catch fish on the main stem alsea any more?...... is it just a north fork bank fisherie paid for by every fisherman in oregon?
I remember days of old when you could put in at fall creek and have a 20 fish day by the time ya got to rivers edge, or what ever the name is of the first ramp down river....I also remember days 3 yrs after they switched to wild broodstock of not being able to buy a bite below fall creek, yet they were slaying them up the north fork? whats the river like over all now? has odfw created a hillbilly elbow to elbow fisherie on yet another river in oregon?

Crusty old fisherman

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Yup it's all ODFW's fault, everything's always they're fault. Actually we're lucky to have them, without them the Alsea wouldn't have any fish at all from years and years of being overfished and habitat destruction.

C
crusty old fisherman
beaverfan said:
Yup it's all ODFW's fault, everything's always they're fault. Actually we're lucky to have them, without them the Alsea wouldn't have any fish at all from years and years of being overfished and habitat destruction.
I understand what your saying but I also know they took a premier river and turned the whole river into the north fork elbow to elbow show in a 2 yr period

Crusty

B
beaverfan
Hmmm most likely they were forced to by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife to protect the native Steelhead runs. It was most likely done as an attempt to save what's left of a wild run of fish.

K
Kodiak
Nitive brood stock

Nitive brood stock

The naitive brood stock programs in oregon is ODFW's responce to anglers snivelling about too much down time between winter steelies and spring chinook, and sustained economic viability of certain river systems. Because the hatcheries can only raise so many fish, the "pure hatchery stock" that come in december have had thier numbers cut back to string out numbers on the back end of the run. These fish seam to trickle in here and there, instead of the all at once shot that happens with the hatch fish.

B
bigsteel
hatchery fish they say are for increased angling opprotunity and look how that works,,,every hatchery hole or river with a run of hatchery fish is just insane to say the least.combat fishing,,elbow to elbow.....I personally dislike hatchery fish,,,they take away from the natives food source and everything that goes with being in a river.if people practiced catch and release we would not have this problem...stocked fish are for ponds period....look at montana most of their rivers are blue ribbon rivers...cause they keep it native and catch and release.Just look at all the trash and crap you see around hatchery holes thats why i dont fish there cause those people are the increased angling opprutunity people,,,,,they dont respect the rivers they just want meat for the smoker..Im all for keeping a fish to take home but instead of dumping a milliion smolts,,,,into a river with natives who then have to battle for food with some pellet head people should just catch and release til the run can maintain itself...The majority of hatchery fish dont even survive past the second week,,i personally dont see the point in stocking fish..Increased angling is Bs..my guess is they could care less if the native runs return cause they make way more on license sales,,not to mention unfair to the smolts....Just imagine dumping a little house trained dog in the middle of the woods,,,he aint gonna live hes gonna die cause nature weeds out the weak,well the hatchery fish are weak.....Oregon rivers are the most gorgeous sites we have to offer,,,i just dont understand the logic behind dumping hatchery fish into a gorgous river...as far as the alsea it is way more overfished now then compared to years ago cause they let you keep a hatchery fish,,,thats the only reason period...if they had only natives and catch and release only you would have more than half the anglers gone or move to a different river.In no way does stocking hatchery smolts ever gonna make the native run better..Thats the reason i have 2 rivers that i fish myself,,,no hatchery runs,all natives and its catch and release,,,and their usually isn't another angler in sight for that simple fact.ODFW isn't all bad i dont critisize them for everything,,they have their place but you have to realize their about making money,not whats best for the rivers...you will never have a nice blue ribbon stream as long as their hatchery fish,,,itrs all for businness,,,the guides catch their clients way more fish,,,shop[s sell more tackle,more bait..read up on the deshutes its our finest river here,,,and they know how to manage a river,all native redsides,,3,000 per mile...no hatchery invasions...my 2 cents

S
steelhead_stalkers
People catch fish from the north fork to tidewater! It depends on the water, when its low the lower river can be dynamite, when its high the north fork is good. Nothing has changed as far as I can tell. Last year was a great year in the lower river because of such low, clear water most of the winter. One difference for the lower river fishery is the alsea used to get back 10,000 + fish a year back in good ol days. It really easy to catch a lot of fish even in the lower river when that many are coming back. Now we are lucky to get 1,200 back to the hatchery, makes the lower river much harder to locate the few fish coming through.

K
Kodiak
Few quick points

Few quick points

Big Steel-- There are still plenty of naitive fish, it's prodominently an economics thing. It appears to be working. The later returning steelies seam to be larger and more aggresive than the earlier fish. These fish are treated the same as hatch fish. Considering the low numbers of returning naitive fish I would be down right grateful we have any winter steelhead fishing at all. C&R will not return these fish to previous numbers. Too mutch habitat is gone and C&R still kills fish. #2. There are a TON of hatchery fish in Montana rivers. I lived there for over 10 yrs. Not every stream is "Blue Ribbon" either. Look at the Flathead River, the Bull trout there until 2yrs ago were a threatened spiecies. Through hatch boxes (hatchery eggs) and ultra restrictive angling regs you can apply for a "trophy tag". These funds go strait back into bull trout habitat. #3. Compare apples to apples...Montana is a state of slightly more than a million people, most of which live in the few big cities and resort areas, the back country is still to be feared and your neighbors watch your home especially during tourist season. If you want to make a comparison look to the SW washington rivers that are in a worse position than we are.

SS--the days of 10,000 fish are still here.....IF we would all pack shotguns and smoke every cormirant, merganser, and king fisher that we find. A study 2yrs ago showed a 93% smolt mortality before the could make the bay. Apperantly our hatchery bulk release of smolt has caused an explosion in predator bird populations. Knock 'em back to 1970's levels, that river will see mid '80's return of fish numbers, if you can convince the UN to re-outlaw highseas drift nets again.

B
bigsteel
I just got all mad cause i was readin a fly magazine article and they have a section on hot spots and all the other rivers had nice native fish,,,then they got to oregon and the hot spot was clackamas for hatchery steelhead....i was just dissapointed.....

K
Kodiak
I know..but we have to play the hand we are delt. We have to collectively climb right up in ODFW's stuff and raise holly freakin' he doble hockey sticks till they listen, considering the head salmon biologist doesn't even fish, good luck. We get the leftovers from the commercial fishing industry, and thats it. I'm just as angry as the next guy..working on a gill net ban now, reduce the number of commercial quota later.