3/3-4/11 Willamette monster Catfish

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
RunWithSasquatch said:
I read to me as if it were 'too late', am I wrong?

They can still be alive, though you might not know it.

I think the issue is not it's survivability without oxygen, rather spending a night breathing it's own carbon-dioxide.

B
bigsteel
why was the fish transported?shouldnt it have been released?

Reactions: eggs and Markcanby
R
RunWithSasquatch
bigsteel said:
why was the fish transported?shouldnt it have been released?

Gotta get the photo in the news paper first, duh

B
bigsteel
RunWithSasquatch said:
Gotta get the photo in the news paper first, duh

yea i forgot,anything for apic i guess

Reactions: Drew9870
troutdude
troutdude
Hopefully it survives for Drew's photo op. But, if it doesn't...

fish fry at Drew's house this weekend!

S
sbrooks
Hey Dru you forgot to mention someone broke into my brother's car and stole all his fishing stuff, expensive water proof lights, IPOD, and some other stuff while you guys were fishing there. How much does the fish WEIGH.

D
Drew9870
HIS GEAR GOT TAKEN??? I thought he left it home and only lost the Ipod?

Idk the weight still, its belly flattened down a bit due to the cold I believe.

bigsteel, why do you even care, I'd figure you would be sniveling about it not being native before you said ''anything for a pic I guess''.

S
sbrooks
No he had his back pack with all his salmon/steelhead and other fishing stuff plus those diving lights were worth a couple hundred bucks themselves. I hope they turn up on craigslist so he can find them. I told him to hit up the down town pawn shops. Dru get some better pics up!...

B
bigsteel
Drew9870 said:
HIS GEAR GOT TAKEN??? I thought he left it home and only lost the Ipod?

Idk the weight still, its belly flattened down a bit due to the cold I believe.

bigsteel, why do you even care, I'd figure you would be sniveling about it not being native before you said ''anything for a pic I guess''.

why do i care???because you keep running your mouth how precious these fish are then you turn around and throw it in a cooler and take it home so you can get your pic in the paper...i dont care if its native but if your gonna talk the talk then walk the walk,,,putting a fish in a cooler shows the lack of respect for these fish you have......anyways nice fish hope it survives

R
RunWithSasquatch
Im not a big fan of nit picking on people about what they do with there catch, I find it an annoying part of this forum. I will condrodict my self in this situation:

I find it as a lack of ones character to remove a fish from a fishery, transport it home to be left in a cooler over night, for the sole reason of a photo-op, and then to plan on returning it to its waters and realese it. I would feel extremely different, and support the choice if the intention was to stick it on the chopping block, and throw it in the deep fryer (regardless of size).

Here is a quote, and I apologize too the person who is in it if they did not want to be put up as an example of good character.

In this situation, it is a legit record breaker, not just a plus sized fish.

[ASHLAND — Colby Pearson stood on the Hyatt Lake Dam a whipped 12-year-old boy, his arms tired from three hours of catching and releasing largemouth bass.

"I said, 'this is going to be the last one, my last cast,'" he says.

Fifteen minutes later, Pearson stood waist-deep in the lake, bear-hugging a largemouth whose fleeting moments in Pearson's arms have made the angling world take notice of this boy and his fish.

The Central Point seventh-grader did the improbable Aug. 15 by catching a largemouth that pencils out to be an estimated 12 pounds, 12 ounces at Hyatt, a high-mountain lake known more for its big rainbow trout than as Oregon's new largemouth mecca.

The fish likely outweighs Oregon's existing record by more than a half-pound, yet it won't ever make the list of the state's best bass.

Pearson kept his catch just long enough for his mother to snap a few photos and take a few measurements before they watched his record swim away.

"It doesn't really matter how big the bass is, I let it go," Pearson says. "That fish probably is as old as I am.

"I don't think it's right to kill a fish just to get a record," he says.]

Now, again, if your first intention was to fry this fish, hell yeah! But your first comment was about getting some photos for attention.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Wow Colby.

C
colbypearson
:) No need for apology it is fine with me

Reactions: BobbiDollPDX
C
capblack
that was pretty cool colby, definitely shows your respect for the sport. as for the big-cat-in-the-cooler, aside from your choice to take it alive in a cooler, thats a nice catch. but if i know catfish, it will survive

C
ChezJfrey
capblack said:
... but if i know catfish, it will survive

That's my first guess too...I wouldn't worry too much at this point and see how it goes.

Oh, and that cat's a beast!

D
Drew9870
bigsteel said:
why do i care???because you keep running your mouth how precious these fish are then you turn around and throw it in a cooler and take it home so you can get your pic in the paper...i dont care if its native but if your gonna talk the talk then walk the walk,,,putting a fish in a cooler shows the lack of respect for these fish you have......anyways nice fish hope it survives

Well guess what, ODFW is sending a biologist who is highly interested in collecting this fish, to say I have no respect for any fish is plain out ignorant, take it any way you want, because I know what I do and do not respect, the biologist is interested because this is a really rare catch of course that was probably part of the Channel stocking that stopped in the early 80's for some Oregon waters, they do get stocked in local ponds still, not Wirth anymore.

If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say a damn thing, every thread you pop into doesn't have to turn into a g**damn debate.

Oh, and Henry Miller is sending a photographer, they will be here at 3:40, and the biologist will be here at 4:00, I am going to ask for a record after sampling to be mailed.

It was dead by 10AM, no doubt, I watched the gills and not a sign of movement.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
Why did I keep this fish?

I kept this fish because I knew the state would be interested in this catch to record it, I figured it wasn't a record when my friend called and comfirmed that the record was 36lbs while I was still on the water. I knew the state would have interest in sampling this fish, because it is a rare event to occur, and they would probably want to sample the organs to see if the reproductive system is in order, maybe to see how well these fish are maintaining themselves, and to check and see if it was one of the stockers from back in the day.

I do have reason for this, it will teach the state some more status on these fish in the Willamette and maybe if they have estabilished themselves to become naturalized, jump on my case all you want, and find more reason to, the state is a lot higher than all of you, and they are happy to collect this fish and happy I did not release it so they could sample one of these, there are more Channels in the Willamette and probably bigger. I really did want to release it, but I came to realize that there are plenty more, and the state would make really good use of it and learn some from it, so will I.

If I caught another, there is no doubt it would go back, I've caught a 12lb Albino/White Catfish with red eyes before, what did I do? CPR, I garauntee Henry and the state would've been interested in it, but I know for sure that it was a one of a kind living legend for the water it was in.

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Two things:

First, he had every right to harvest the fish, but actually had no intention to do so. The fish died, and now ODFW has a great sample.

Secondly, it's a catfish out of the Willamette, and may actually be a stocker at that ... Is retention really this much of an issue...?

B
bigsteel
Drew9870 said:
Well guess what, ODFW is sending a biologist who is highly interested in collecting this fish, to say I have no respect for any fish is plain out ignorant, take it any way you want, because I know what I do and do not respect, the biologist is interested because this is a really rare catch of course that was probably part of the Channel stocking that stopped in the early 80's for some Oregon waters, they do get stocked in local ponds still, not Wirth anymore.

If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say a damn thing, every thread you pop into doesn't have to turn into a g**damn debate.

Oh, and Henry Miller is sending a photographer, they will be here at 3:40, and the biologist will be here at 4:00, I am going to ask for a record after sampling to be mailed.

It was dead by 10AM, no doubt, I watched the gills and not a sign of movement.

Dress nice for the pics!!!!!

T
the_intimidator03
I am a little bummed it turned into a debate but drew great catch looking forwards to some more pictures and info

T
TTFishon
I hope you show more pics...that fish is definitely a monster!!!