3/3-4/11 Willamette monster Catfish

C
capblack
mrlindeman said:
I changed my posts. Sorry guys I was in a bad mood yesterday. I should not have posted like that. Sorry big steel and Drew, And Colby. Ok so back to the fishy subject :) Has any one here heard of a cat that big in the willamette? I could only imaging there could be more like that

sure, ive heard of big channel cats in the willamette. but this was the first story i saw with pictures!! i think anyone would have been thrilled to have that on the end of there line!!

A
Anyfishisfine
Wow, what an amazing fish.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
Nice. fish.. bet you had a good time...

M
metalfisher76
Man that`s a brutally BIG CAT! Sheesh look at that thing!!
Hey man ya made a quick decision in the moment. No big deal!! IMHO. It`s all about intent! You wanted to get it back and **** happens. Sounds to me like ya know yer feesh. He`s gonna do a lot of good for science here real soon too. Good show on a prize of a channel cat!

S
SemperFly
What a beast!

Reactions: metalfisher76
H
Hawk
A campground caretaker told me he saw someone catch a Channel Cat that was about 36 lbs, a couple years ago.
:lol::lol::lol:
:cool:
:clap::clap:

R
rippin fish lips
Drew9870 said:
Live and let live. Live and let die. Live your own life and let others live their own in peace.

i love this! lol

R
rippin fish lips
lilsalmon said:
my thought, at the risk of pissing OFF others....if he hadn't of kept it for pics everyone would be giving him **** because he doesn't have proof.....good job Drew....just sayin

yes yes! good job drew!! nice fish bro, keep up the good work.

R
rippin fish lips
nwkiller said:
oh ya and no matter what anyone says....EVERYONE IS JELOUSE OF YOU!!!! fish on!!

i was gunna say that

C
colbypearson
for some reason 14lbs rings a bell in my head with that article i heard somewhere but i could be wrong.. kinda cool to have such adversity so close to home.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
troutdude said:
After reading the reg book, I believe that this would only be illegal if he crossed state lines or if he transported it to another body of water and released it there.

From the current reg book PDF version...

It is unlawful to: transport live fish into, within or out of this state; hold any live fish in the waters of this state; or release or attempt to
release any live fish into the waters of this state; except as provided by OAR 635-007-0600(3)(a) for aquaria fish intended for aquaria
use and those holding a valid Fish Transport Permit.

Regs also mention transport within the state, not just into/out of. This I think is a good example of a confusing reg that could stand revision to make it more clear. The way I read it - transporting a live fish without a permit is a no no, period. Getting a cite for it would depend on how the trooper interprets the law, and if cited, how the judge views it also.

Not giving Drew a hard time over this at all - as frankly I don't see a problem with taking home a live fish. My problem would be with someone taking live fish from one body of water and releasing them into another body of water (except private man made ponds). And like I said - myself, and many others of us (especially those who like catfish) have taken live fish home. Catfish don't just die when they're taken out of the water :) I've put cats into the bath tub or kitchen sink full of water after they've been out of water for 3-4 hours, and they start swimming around like nothing happened. I secretly think catfish are all Zombies... XD Zombie fishes!

troutdude
troutdude
Agree. That reg needs to be clearer. I still cannot find that exact working in the printed copy of the 2011 reg book (about transporting in the state). And that is just flat crazy. What about the trout I bring home in my cooler? I typically don't bonk 'em, so they're fresher when I get 'em home.

Okay, 'nuff about this...back to the topic. I still think it's an awesome fish!

B
Bass Ackwards
WOW!!! NICE FISH MAN!! I wouldnt have believed it without a pic that's for sure

D
Drew9870
Check out the sports section of the Statesman Journal on Thursday.

The biologist still hasn't emailed me an official weight or any of the other info, he is preserving the fish right now until he has the time, he should be done next week I believe.

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish man that one is a hog! I would have mounted that sucker without even thinking twice. Couldn't pay me to eat a cat out of the willamette. Post the article when it surfaces.

A
Armando Garcia
Wow, Drew you could have eating cat all month long.

Last edited:
N
nwkiller
Drew, whats the latest on your monster cat??? can't wait for the article to come out, when and where again? so hard to find in your post with feakin 95 replies!!!! lol:D

N
nwkiller
lol. sorry should have read it to the end...lol....nice, i will defenetly check it out!