3/3-4/11 Willamette monster Catfish

M
Moe
Drew might actually have a chance at the giftcard if people keep flaming!

T
Throbbit _Shane
I must say nice fish again. doesn't matter if he kept it or not imo. Im sure the bio's are glad he did.

It would be cool if the gift cards went to fishing report threads. Instead of general topic threads... just an idea

Reactions: Finneus Polebender
M
Moe
Throbbit _Shane said:
It would be cool if the gift cards went to fishing report threads. Instead of general topic threads... just an idea

I agree.

E
eggs
If it wasn't from the willy.. I would say batter up the hog and let's eat... huge fish man..

H
Hawk
At times we deep fry some channel cat fillets. The 12"-14" fish taste the best. :lol::lol::lol:

I release all the bigguns.

That's a Beauty Drew.:)

Reactions: Finneus Polebender
brandon4455
brandon4455
why can't everyone just leave the guy alone and compliment on that beast this is rediculous..

P
Phil_Bud
Beautie bro...Nice bonus

N
nwkiller
how did it fight drew, thought you had a sturgeon??? bet it was crazy when it popped out of the water....wish u had a video of that!!

N
nwkiller
oh ya and no matter what anyone says....EVERYONE IS JELOUSE OF YOU!!!! fish on!!

F
fish4life
Nice fish Drew, I know for on Im jealous I would love to catch a cat like that. And I wouldnt worry about certain peoples comments. I think there are a few people who go through the forum looking for any reason to ream someone out. Im suprised someone hasnt congratulated you for getting rid of a non-native species or maybe that only apllies to carp. Everyone has a right to their own opinion but in the end you have to do what you feel is right and that is all what matters.

Reactions: brandon4455
D
Drew9870
Thanks everyone,

nwkiller, I totally thought I was hooked into a Sturgeon, I was using my Chub Outkast 12' Carp rod with a test curve of 2.75lbs, which is a lighter duty rod that is capable of launching only up to 3-4oz at full power, I probably landed 60-65yds out and the Cat ended up surfacing at about 55yds and smacking it's head and tail on the surface like I assume a Sturgeon might do sometimes, I was really fishing for monster Squawfish since that is the main catch no matter what you use, so I didn't bother snapping the barb off the 5/0 silver Eagle Claw, they have a nice needle thin hook point.

My legs started quivering when it surfaced :redface:, the net felt like it was going to rip, and I want a heavier Carp rod now and maybe 65-80lb Powerpro on the spool if I want to feel safer, I have even had quite a few Carp break the 50lb Powerpro I already have spooled while using the same 50lb Tuffline leader I got the Cat on.

Most fish I release, I generally unhook in the water if possible, a fish that heavy with a stomach like that can suffer internal organ damage inside the net and on the bank from all the weight being set on the organs, setting a heavy fish flat on its stomach is extremely bad for it if it has a large stomach.

D
Drew9870
Here's my rod and reel, I love how lightweight the rods are, it is a Euro style rod, great for surf and bay fishing, you feel every little headshake and nibble.

The 2nd pic is the extremely thin EVA coated handle for casting leverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Modest_Man
F
fishingfreak
That is a very nice fish! Way to go!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Sweet setup Drew!

The only thing I can think of that you did wrong, was technically violate the law against transporting a live fish. Then again - the sea bass Tyler & I brought home from Barview were still flopping around and pumping their gills when we got back to my place after 9PM - we left Barview at 6:30 ish. It happens.

That's awesome that you got such a big cat - warms my warmwater fish loving section of my heart. Love me some channel cat. 30lbs is too big for my eating preferences - but by golly I'd get as many pix of it as I could before turning her loose!

I say you did fine.

Reactions: RunWithSasquatch
M
mrlindeman
How old do you think that fish was Drew? he looked pretty old. Thats a good catch man nice job :)

Last edited:
M
mrlindeman
Sorry that was a bad post

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
GungasUncle said:
The only thing I can think of that you did wrong, was technically violate the law against transporting a live fish.

After reading the reg book, I believe that this would only be illegal if he crossed state lines or if he transported it to another body of water and released it there.

B
bigsteel
mrlindeman said:
You do realize its a catfish, not a carp? Way to go on the Hijack though. I guess every fish is invasive and deserves to be banked. Unless its native steel or salmon huh

yes i realize it was a catfish,,,he said he put it in a cooler to take home and was gonna later revive it,that is not good catch and release practice. Im done with this thread...enjoy the fish drew,,,sorry for the hijack

C
capblack
mrlindeman said:
Who the hell eats bass!?!?!?!?!? Of course he let it go. Id rather eat a cat from the willamete than any bass. Oh but dont forget BASS ARE INVASIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He should have banked right??? Sarcasm

your hijacking the thread as much as anyone. why didn't you just let it cool down? now your gonna get everyone fired up again.

Reactions: Admin
M
mrlindeman
capblack said:
your hijacking the thread as much as anyone. why didn't you just let it cool down? now your gonna get everyone fired up again.

I changed my posts. Sorry guys I was in a bad mood yesterday. I should not have posted like that. Sorry big steel and Drew, And Colby. Ok so back to the fishy subject :) Has any one here heard of a cat that big in the willamette? I could only imaging there could be more like that

Reactions: Admin