Would someone explain "bearings" to me please?

C
colbypearson
Blow Me said:
Colby is the sh*t. Dont talk bout him! LISTEN TO HIM!!!

Stupidest ****ing post ever. theres a reason why we have GOOGLE!

wow dont take that one to heart :(

atleast Moby Dick now has a real reason to call someone impolite...... "I think that that person was impolite and out of line for calling your comments "uneducated"

C
ChezJfrey
RunWithSasquatch said:
Its not a terrible idea to teach your self to flip the bail closed with your hand, instead of my cranking the reel to slap the bail over, my experience is that by doing that you will greatly extend the life of the reel.

Agreed. I once had a reel that eventually stopped rotating because one of the internal pieces that prompts the auto-flip jammed into another and stopped everything. I took it apart, removed that piece and it worked fine after that, but of course would no longer flip closed on its own.

Since then, I always manually closed them after the cast. Besides, that's also the advice I've seen everywhere to help minimize line twist as well.

M
Moby Dick
Hi and happy monday fellas. gee, i did not mean to start a name calling thing, really! maybe i need to sit on the side lines longer. i am sorry, truly, if i offended some protocall here and did something wrong as far as comments etc. i think there may be some background between members that i dont know about.

i do think that mr pearson, as you all, certainly have a right to offer different views than others. but i think when we express our disagreement with the other person(s) view on it, it is wrong to say the other person is "ignorant". that really is a rude and pointless way of expressing a different point of view. it is degrading. we can differ, we will differ, but people should differ on the facts or reasons they have another view - not because the other view is "ignorant". that is not discussion - it is name calling and not ok in my humble view. i am not sure i even understood the Blow Me person's post lol - but it too didn't sound reasonable lol.

i am sorry that i often write not using caps - i do punctuate and use proper grammar. hope you all do not mind.

i just lost my hub's long time (our really) english pointer earlier this month - and tho hub has been gone for several years, the dog was the last living bond between me and hub and all the things we used to do, so his ("Koko") passing was like creating an even larger, more inescapable hole. but i digress.

give me your opinions on this then - let's forget the bearing matter for now: what model or series of reels do you find that flips the bale back nice and easy and smooth? with little of that stickiness or glitch that one often feels? thanks so much you all. please, life is shorter than you all think, let's love and respect each other. lol, now go hug a fish !!!! marie m

troutdude
troutdude
"Uneducated". "Ignorant".

Those truly are not words, that would be well received by many of us. In fact, they are pretty harsh words. And many of us would take offense.

Words like "inexperienced", "misinformed", etc. are better--in my opinion--than those that were chosen.

For ultralight fishing (panfish, small trout, etc); more or better bearings really aren't much of an issue. But, if you chase bigger / stronger prey (Steelhead, Salmon, Bass, etc), then more / better bearings do play an important role in choosing a quality reel.

My comments, btw, are based on 45 years of practical fishing experience (all in Oregon); and three degrees in higher education.

H
halibuthitman
well im sure sorry to hear about your companion... as for reels, a reel is a funny thing and is for the most part personal preference, If there is 2 things I would never buy as a gift it would be a reel or a pair of sunglasses... fit and feel mean so much... just buy any reel over about $45 and fish it for a day, if you don't like it.. take it back.. I have a lot of penn and pflueger reels and I like them fine... My post is based on mostly applied life expirence.. and getting drunk once at my friends colledge....:shock:;)

C
colbypearson
troutdude said:
"Uneducated". "Ignorant".

Those truly are not words, that would be well received by many of us. In fact, they are pretty harsh words. And many of us would take offense.

Words like "inexperienced", "misinformed", etc. are better--in my opinion--than those that were chosen.

For ultralight fishing (panfish, small trout, etc); more or better bearings really aren't much of an issue. But, if you chase bigger / stronger prey (Steelhead, Salmon, Bass, etc), then more / better bearings do play an important role in choosing a quality reel.

My comments, btw, are based on 45 years of practical fishing experience (all in Oregon); and three degrees in higher education.

sorry once again for snapping brandon, i guess people can't really see the original intent of a comment or the tone it was meant to be said...........

"i don't think the mos bearings or the quality matters" - pertaining to a reel, i consider this an uneducated statement

uneducated: –adjective
not educated.

not educated in bearings and the purpose they serve in reels.

ignorant:
uninformed; unaware.

witch i would consider very fitting at this time to say Brandon at the time of the post was uninformed or unaware on the topic of bearings quality and quantity and the purpose it serves in a conventional reel.

now you tell me to use words such as: "inexperienced", "misinformed"
- now if you ask me the official definition of uneducated is not educated, would that not mean the exact same thing as inexperienced?
- and would misinformed not directly refer to the definition of ignorant as unaware and or uninformed?

* and notice how i never at any point said Brandon was uneducated or ignorant? i was referring directly to his comment -"i don't think the mos bearings or the quality matters", i enjoy Brandon's friendship and i am glad he is here. like i said i am sorry for anyone i offended take the upper statements into consideration.

i didn't call brandon anything i said the statement he said was uneducated and an ignorant thing to say. pertaining to theyre definitions as bieng not educated in the topic of bearings, and uninformed or unaware on the topic as well, *i stand by what i said once again.*

now that you know the way i wanted the words to be used, make your final comments because i am OFF the subject now if we could get back to the original purpose of the thread that would be good....

i dont want to sound like a jerk but i have explained myself and i feel like i can stand by my comments as they were originally stated i feel like im being teamed up on for a post i feel was completely fine and i even apologized. if i am completely wrong i would like to hear good reasoning as to why in a PM
thank you Colby

Last edited:
M
Moby Dick
troutdude - besides your comments about the number of bearings, which btw, my independent research has now shown to be correct (that is, generally reels with more bearings are better), what do you have to say about my bale question? can u think of some reel models that were really smooth in that?

thanks again, marie (oh! i really dont want to get into testy posts especially with old timers here, but i think that any normal, mature, well reasoned person would find it insulting and inappropriate to be told by another than their view was "ignorant" or "uneducated" - those are just very negative, judgmental and pointless comments to make in a civil discussion)

C
colbypearson
Moby Dick said:
thanks again, marie (oh! i really dont want to get into testy posts especially with old timers here, but i think that any normal, mature, well reasoned person would find it insulting and inappropriate to be told by another than their view was "ignorant" or "uneducated" - those are just very negative, judgmental and pointless comments to make in a civil discussion)

*****READ MY POST ABOVE CLOSELY****

IM 16 SO DONT FEEL LIKE YOU IN AN ARGUEMENT WITH AN OLD TIMER, AND DONT DISREGARD ME BECAUSE IM A KID EITHER, BECAUSE I TAKE FISHING AS IF NOT MORE SERIOUSLY THAN ANYONE.

honestly i give up you guys just dont get it.... i hate the internet all it amounts to is drama you dont know what i meant or how i meant it because you choose to ignore what i say, its unfortunate.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
it didn't really offend me,, it's fine guys stop making such a big deal , i thank those who tried to defend me but you did it for no reason.. because im not upset about it,, and as for the bearings i WAS reffering to trout fishing in smaller waters and small lures /fish as troutdude mentioned. bearings quality and how many or what they are made of really all depends on personal preference and type of fishing it's used for. so please leave colby aolone it's fine he didn't do anything.. as soon as he mentioned we are good friends everyone should have noticed i was not gunna be mad. and atleast waited to hear my opinion on his comment until you started accusing him of stuff.

brandon

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
brandon4455 said:
it didn't really offend me,, it's fine guys stop making such a big deal , i thank those who tried to defend me but you did it for no reason.. because im not upset about it,, and as for the bearings i WAS reffering to trout fishing in smaller waters as troutdude mentioned. bearings quality and how many or what they are made of really all depends on personal preference and type of fishing it's used for. so please leave colby aolone it's fine he didn't do anything.. as soon as he mentioned we are good friends everyone should have noticed i was not gunna be mad. and atleast waited to hear my opinion on his comment until you started bashing him.

brandon

and i never said anything to brandon i said the post was what it was, the reason it keeps being brought up is beyond me i apologized and i hope we can all move on, if you had read my post above you could have all seen what i meant by it i never meant to offend brandon or anyone,thanks..

Colby

T
TTFishon
I'm curious about the OP's second inquiry myself and would like to know some opinions on the matter so can we get back on track here?

M
Moby Dick
TTFishon said:
I'm curious about the OP's second inquiry myself and would like to know some opinions on the matter so can we get back on track here?

Fishon - ha ha, I just figured out what an OP is !! Ok, thanks, yes the second part of my inquiry is really the heart of it. What models or what specs would be on the box (which I doubt it would be) should I be looking for/at if I want a really smooth, effortless bale flip back without the sticky or glitch feeling. thanks, marie martin

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I agree with Colby's statement that the maker of the actual bearing is more important than the number. I used to work in the printing industry on an extremely valuable piece of machinery. In that environment, make or break really comes down to bearings and the surface they ride on/in. Japanese bearings often last for years whereas Chinese bearings rarely make it a month or two. The Japanese bearings are 5 times the cost but absolutely mandatory. When bearings destruct it is inevitable that other sections of the machine are soon to follow.

C
colbypearson
GraphiteZen said:
I agree with Colby's statement that the maker of the actual bearing is more important than the number. I used to work in the printing industry on an extremely valuable piece of machinery. In that environment, make or break really comes down to bearings and the surface they ride on/in. Japanese bearings often last for years whereas Chinese bearings rarely make it a month or two. The Japanese bearings are 5 times the cost but absolutely mandatory. When bearings destruct it is inevitable that other sections of the machine are soon to follow.

absolutely, you cannot have a well functioning machine such as a reel without bearings and the higher quality the better, its once of the most crucial aspects of a reel.

M
Moby Dick
colbypearson said:
absolutely, you cannot have a well functioning machine such as a reel without bearings and the higher quality the better, its once of the most crucial aspects of a reel.

Zen and Mr. Pearson - As the poster previous to my last post succinctly stated ("can we get back on track here"), I think that you both have made your point of view known numerous times. I also do not think that anyone would disagree with your point that the quality of the part (in this case a bearing) is important. It appears that some some folk think that more bearings have benefits, and one could also not disagree with that because with more bearings the friction surface is spread out more, thus all the bearings and the entire mechanism is under less stress. It seems however that Zen (who if I understand the function of a moderator correctly) should be keeping this threat on course (as FishOn stated) and not engaging in a te ta tete of mutual support with Mr. Peason. And said Mr. Pearson, although previously saying he was done commenting on this threat, keeps throwing his limited bearings at us lol (that was a bit of humor btw).

SO COULD you all tell me about reels or models that you feel do the bale flip really easy and smooth? And hurry, Christmas is just days away, I need to get this and put it under tree! Thank you all for your kindness and I wish everyone who has contributed to this threat a wonderful, blessed, and happy Christmas

C
ChezJfrey
Moby Dick said:
SO COULD you all tell me about reels or models that you feel do the bale flip really easy and smooth? And hurry, Christmas is just days away, I need to get this and put it under tree! Thank you all for your kindness and I wish everyone who has contributed to this threat a wonderful, blessed, and happy Christmas

I suppose I could reiterate, it might be better to get used to closing it manually; better for the reel life, better for minimizing line twist and it negates the quest for a bail that flips super smooth.

That said, I've got a Shimano Solstace that seems pretty smooth and is fairly inexpensive. Even cheaper, I also have a couple of Okuma Avengers that seem OK in that respect, though I'm sure the Shimano is a more durable and better quality reel.

troutdude
troutdude
Moby, do you have any tackle shops that you can visit in your area? Just wondering...cuz, there really is no substitute for hands on testing. It's all a matter of personal taste and experiences. So, it's best if you are able to try some out and then decide on what to get.

(Colby, PM sent; and all is well).

C
CFishRun
I think the whole point of this was lost in the scrum.

Moby, I've sold fishing supplies at a fishing store for two years (five years ago) and have been fishing my whole life. Here is a list of spinning reels to look at and why.

Under $20: Quantum Optix (good for light to ultra light tackle, ie trout and panfish) It's cheap and the drag isn't that great, but who needs a 'great' drag pulling around ten inch trout. I've caught an exorbitant amount of smallmouths on my 15 and 20 series and as of yet it hasn't locked up on me.

20-$40: Shimano series (used to be Symmettre and Sahara models, it sounds like Colby could answer this question) Solid drags for the cost and smooth long-lasting operation. (Pfluegger has it's place here and so does the Mitchell 300 series)

40-$70: Shimano takes it here again. Slightly better everything and a proven choice in the north west. I'm sure Colby knows the model names here. (I use Abu Garcias)

70-150: Quantum, don't believe me ask KVD and many guides here in the north west.
(Don't overlook Pflueger's and of course the high end Shimano's. Cabela's has some really nice reels in this price range as well.)

Over $150: I think you're getting what you pay for and any where you look from Daiwa to Penn to US Reels you will get a solid reel.

My two cents and it wasn't meant to be confrontational, just informative.

Personally I've used Abu Garcia, for the most part for 13 years. I like them because they are under $100 and I get about five to ten years of use depending on my abusiveness. I've got one that I've had the entire 13 years and except for the pieces I lost during annual lubing it still works as it was intended. It's landed pike, bass, trout, catfish, walleye, fresh water drum, etc etc (no steelhead or salmon) because they will smoke it, I'm almost certain. I just couldn't do that to the old girl, she's been through a lot. The point is, buy a reel and test it.

Lastly,

Plueger, shimano and high end quantums have very smooth bail mechanics. Best way to know for sure is to test them. If they won't let you test it at the store go somewhere else. Good sales men/women put the product in your hands. One should never use the reeling force to flip the bail; not only does it induce line coils it can cause bail failure from constant leverage induced friction. Simply flip the bail with your finger after the cast. You'll increase the life of your reel.

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I fail to see how we drifted off topic. The OP was an inquiry about bearings; which reels supplied which bearings and why. All posts from then on discussed either: Bearings in general, or reels with bearings. If you would rather just be told what reel to buy, then maybe just ask for that. In this particular thread you asked for someone to "explain" bearings to you. I feel we attempted to do exactly that.

Just sayin...

M
Moby Dick
ChezJfrey said:
I suppose I could reiterate, it might be better to get used to closing it manually; better for the reel life, better for minimizing line twist and it negates the quest for a bail that flips super smooth.

That said, I've got a Shimano Solstace that seems pretty smooth and is fairly inexpensive. Even cheaper, I also have a couple of Okuma Avengers that seem OK in that respect, though I'm sure the Shimano is a more durable and better quality reel.

Chez - I forgot to tell you earlier, yes I thought that was an interesting suggestion - it might feel odd to me at first, but I will surly try that. Thank you very much. m