Willamette report, 8-12-2012

bass
bass
I hit the Willamette in the old kayak yesterday. Between 7:30 and 12:30 I caught 10 bass with the biggest going 2lb 4oz.

uB7wM.jpg

I caught one on a tiny torpedo, 2 on a shaky rigged senko and 7 on a crankbait (I think it is Hot Lips) in crayfish color. The topwater and senko fish were small. I caught 4 respectable fish on the crankbait, but the other 3 were small. The best fish all came from short points or humps that dropped sharply into deep water. I did not fish the docks except for a couple of casts, but I did not pull anything off a dock.

At 12:30, I anchored up for sturgeon and only caught one 30" shaker between 12:30 and 3:00 after changing spots twice.

I had to leave by 4:00 so I thought that since the sturgeon bite was slow I would try the crankbait one more time. I only had one hit but it was a pig. Hooked off of a shallow point with a steep drop on 3 sides. It took off for deep water ripping out my drag. Unfortunately, a big boat wake came (stupidly did not see it coming) just as the fish cut back towards my left. The wake made me give the fish a bit of slack and it was gone. I do not want to hazard a guess as to its size, but it was definitely going to be in the pig category.

Overall, it was a pretty darn fun day.

F
flocaster
That does sound like an awesome day! So how big of a sturgeon does it take to tow your kayak around like a bath tub toy? LOL

R
Roolinghills
Your posts are by far some of the best on here. A great fish pic, the name of the river and the gear used... exactly what a fishing report should be.

Looks like a great day!

S
SeanC
Nice job and great report.

bass
bass
Roolinghills said:
Your posts are by far some of the best on here. A great fish pic, the name of the river and the gear used... exactly what a fishing report should be.

Looks like a great day!

Thanks, although in all fairness when I go fishing in small streams I am not very forthcoming :)

H
Hendo30
Great job bass, Thanks for sharing....great picture.

bass
bass
Hendo30 said:
Great job bass, Thanks for sharing....great picture.

Thanks, I was pretty happy with that picture. The sun was behind me and really lighting the bass nicely. Usually I am not that careful, or rather lucky, with my pics.