Where are all the coho?

K
kcnoel12
Well I've been out at the Sandy the last 3 Saturdays and haven't seen but 1 Coho. Was at Dodge park and the Garbage Hole and one trip to Cedar creek. No one is catching anything!:numbness:

M
Modest_Man
The first push went up with the rain in September. More will come as soon as there is more rain.

troutdude
troutdude
Moe just filed a report. He found the Ho's and some Nooks. Maybe you can hit him up; and go fishing together?

K
kcnoel12
Well with the rain that is falling now, we're going out this afternoon to give it a shot. I'll hit up Moe but need help finding him...

K
kcnoel12
I found Moe's post. Let's see what this afternoon brings...

M
Moe
It raining so I'm going out again tomorrow. Don't stick too low because since the river is on the rise they'll be moving up river rather fast. Try dodge/cedar creek area. Or if you want to fish the clack I'd say the mouth of eagle creek will definitely have staging coho and they'll be going into the creek some time today. Good luck I've been using nickle sized roe under a 1/2 oz float

K
kcnoel1
On our way to Dodge right now. Thanks Moe!

M
Modest_Man
This "rain" hasn't done anything to the water levels. There's some real rain on the horizon that will move a lot of fish.

K
kcnoel12
DSCF0806.jpg
Well like modest man said, the rain didn't do anything. But a beautiful sunset at the on the river beats sitting around the house.

S
Silvers&Steelies
I have been catching some up high in the Sandy from September to last week. A lot are red bellied and my friend took home a questionable looking fish I probably would have thrown back but it cut red. A lot of knuckleheads trying to drift and snag then cutting there mainlines around Cedar Creek so I have been hiking to isolated holes. Tried Cedar creek main section and snagged a lot of cut mainlines about 2 weeks ago. Like others have said we need a good rain for more fish to move in.

troutdude
troutdude
Isn't Cedar Creek, closed to fishing? Or, am I looking at the wrong Cedar Creek on page 50, of the reg book?

F
Finz
You can't fish in the creek itself. That area is where the creek dumps into the Sandy, most people call that stretch of the Sandy "cedar creek".

troutdude
troutdude
OK. I wondered about that too. Thanks.

K
kcnoel12
Do you think the rain this Saturday will bring in some more Cohos?

T
troutmasta
The Ho's will come. This next rain will bring in the "batch" for this year. I dont think the run is over but its been hampered by the drought for sure. Next couple weeks will be go time for ho's but Ill be at the coast.

K
kcnoel12
I'm looking at heading out to the Wilson myself either Sat or Sunday.

D
DrTheopolis
Keep in mind there's few/no hatchery coho on the Wilson. Should be some keeper nooks, though.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
DrTheopolis said:
Keep in mind there's few/no hatchery coho on the Wilson. Should be some keeper nooks, though.

good point, Wilson is open for wild coho only to the 101 bridge...and the seasonal limit is only 1 for the group of rivers: Nestucca, Nehalem and Tillamook Basin rivers.

Tillamook Bay Rivers: Jetty tips to Hwy 101 Bridge on Miami, Kilchis, Wilson and Trask rivers and to Burton Bridge on Tillamook River.
Open Fridays and Saturdays only Sept. 20 -Nov. 30, or quota.
1 wild coho daily / 1 seasonal in aggregate with other rivers with a 1 wild coho seasonal limit

K
kcnoel12
Didn't make it out to the Wilson this weekend as time and money didn't permit it. Did try the Sandy this morning at Dodge and Garbage Hole but nada. Hopefully next weekend after it rains most of this week will be better. Sure am getting to know that area though and can't wait for the winter run steel to show up!:thumb:

T
troutmasta
DrTheopolis said:

1- Biggest Coho I ever caught was on the Wilson

2- Nooks are the target on the coast for sure