What to use for steelhead

F
Fishpdx
Hello guys, I fished with jigs,yarn,corkies,salmoneggs, for Steelhead. But I never fished with Shrimp, So how do you guys fish steelhead with shrimp????
I bought some nice shrimp and need to know how to use them.

D
DYJ
I just use the tail and run it with a corky when drift fishing.

jhop111
jhop111
What he said.. put it on your hook

F
Fishpdx
jhop111 said:
What he said.. put it on your hook

Okay but Do you float fish it or drift fish

D
DYJ
Drift fish... and I really only use sand shrimp for summers. Sometimes I'll run em under a float with a ball of eggs for nooks.

jhop111
jhop111
I use them for plunking. And for drift fishing. As long as it's on a rig that presents it in the strike zone. oh and tipping jigs with a piece works too

S
SOMCREW
Shrimp or prawn can be deadly for Winter Steelhead. Bank fishing : Plunking from the bank is a great way to use them. Tie on a three way swivel off one eyeloop run your weight line. I suggest a lighter line than whatis on your main and leader line incase of getting caught the weight will just break off. On your main line slide to bobber stop beads then a spin glow. your leader should be around 18". Drifting, its simple corky and baitloop. Slide a good chunk of the bait on the hook then wrap and secure the bait with the loop. Jig fishing just use small uncured shrimp and just put small pieces of the tail on the hook butting up agains your hair. Also if you back plugs in a boat try useing a Mud Diver or a Jet diver with the same spin glow technique but make the leader 2-3 feet/ Hope that helps!!

T
Tinker
I don't know this to be a fact, but since an Enforcement Officer told it to me... The leader from teh three-way swivel must be at least 18-inches long. The hook must be no closer to the weight than 18 inches, and - so I'm told - that 18-inches id from the three-way swivel to the eye of the hook.

Sometimes I wish I wouldn't ask questions when I'm not emotionally prepared for all possible answers...

S
SOMCREW
Tinker said:
I don't know this to be a fact, but since an Enforcement Officer told it to me... The leader from teh three-way swivel must be at least 18-inches long. The hook must be no closer to the weight than 18 inches, and - so I'm told - that 18-inches id from the three-way swivel to the eye of the hook.

Sometimes I wish I wouldn't ask questions when I'm not emotionally prepared for all possible answers...

That is a fact! I put 18" so they didn't go any smaller.

D
DrTheopolis
SOMCREW said:
Also if you back plugs in a boat try useing a Mud Diver or a Jet diver with the same spin glow technique but make the leader 2-3 feet/ Hope that helps!!

Could you describe this more?

Are you basically running a drift rig below a diver? I've seen a lot, but I've never seen that. I'm guessing you'd use a lot less weight?

S
SOMCREW
Image33.png

The video was showing a salmon set up. The same method is used for steelhead just shrink everything down and I promise you ... You will get hook ups on this technique

Reactions: Raincatcher