Upper Clack question

D
dozer365
Anyone know what number of hatchery fish pass above rivermill? I have hooked about a half dozen native fish in the last month up by faraday area. Mostly boot springers in choppy water. But I got a native steel too. And a very nice bright coho. Thought it was an early winter steel. Then it did a death roll. Anyway. All I'm saying is.... I have loved the arm work out. But don't want to harass native fishery. I mean if they don't let hatchery fish past rivermill. I was told that in years with poor hatchery returns they keep the fish at the traps for eggs and only allow natives to pass. That being said. Then would they allow hatchery fish through if they had a good return. I know they don't let them pass into northfork and the rest of the upper river system to prevent mixing of the stock. That I understand. Just wondering if anyone has caught clipped fish in that stretch.

F
fishing_mission
I'm not 100% sure on how the decide on which fish to let pass rivermill but I have caught hatchery steelhead (summer and winter) and Chinook but i have never caught a hatchery coho on that stretch

F
fish4life
As far as I know they don't sort fish at Rivermill dam, they do this at Cazadero dam and only let native fish above it. The hatchery is at Dog Creek and fish swim past it and go up to Caz where there is a fish trap.

N
nativefish
ya that stretch up there is a lot of peoples bread and butter on the clack... thanks for lettin the cat out of the bag... j/k lol

F
fishing_mission
nativefish said:
ya that stretch up there is a lot of peoples bread and butter on the clack... thanks for lettin the cat out of the bag... j/k lol

Shoot that cat got outta the bag a long time ago!!! Lol

D
dozer365
fishing_mission said:
Shoot that cat got outta the bag a long time ago!!! Lol

Back when I was just a youngster, I use to tag along with my dad on the real upper clack. By roaring river, and big eddy, omg in the early-mid 90's use to slay summers. Catch four or five in a drift. Never leave the rock cept to fight em to the bank. Man was my dad good at staying on a run. Something I need to learn. Got my first steel at 6 up there. 22 yrs ago. Shame how things changed over the last 2 decades. That area is not a secret lol. So much flossing gear. Not everywhere. But at all the choke points.

Yeah I did some reading. And I agree they separate fish at cazadaro. Rivermill jus is a ladder. And the trap is below northfork. Either way I'm gonna be switching to the lower river for the next month. Hasn't been worth the gas to go. Maybe il find earlier winters then expected. I'll let those nates spawn. Even if I miss a clipper up there. Well shoot. I'll prolly miss more here by my house 3 blocks away at cross lol.