Tuna fishing 7/13

B
Berg03
Went for the first time Tuna fishing out of Depoe Bay yesterday. Left the dock at 5am, water was super calm. Captain was able to put the gas down and we hauled ass (30mph) to around 31 miles out. Water was SO BLUE! We had about 100ft of visibility in the water and it was only 1-3ft swells at the most. No wind until later in the day. The fishing was slow, and most boats that we talked to only got a handful of fish. I was able to get 2 to the boat. Some of the best fighting fish i have ever had on my line. Felt like I was trying to keep a mustang from taking off with a fishing pole... lol.
Anyways, here are the 2 i got back to the boat. :)

B
Berg03
Forgot to mention we saw about 20-30 blue shark swimming around out there looking for some bloody tuna!

J
JustMe
Nice! I love tuna fishing. Pound for pound, best fighting fish there is. And tasty, too. Do you plan on canning them?

E
eugene1
Nice!

Some great eats there.

B
Berg03
haha, call me crazy but fishing is just a sport for me. I dont eat any fish. I usually just C&R but some fish you just dont do that with. I split my share up and handed them off to friends who dont fish.

R
rakane
Congratulations on the tuna. They look to be a nice grace of fish.

I took five guys out Monday July 13th also. We fished from Garibaldi. The tuna are still scattered and will be forming into larger schools soon. We would hook one on the troll and then get one on a jig or a swimbait. Many of our fish came on trolled swimbaits. Most of our fish were of a nice grade with only a couple of peanuts. Most of our various troll gear caught a fish. We used it all, Archer bars, cedar plugs, mag 30, and clones to match the sky. All our jig fish came on pink jigs.

The boat Aces and Eights caught a 12 pound yellow tail by casting to a log. He was about an hour ahead of us, darn it.

May you have many more tuna adventures.

Randy

bass
bass
Awesome report Brad. Great that you got couple on a slow day. Next up, a new state record smallmouth!

B
Berg03
haha ya i like your thinking bass!

H
Hookset
Awesome report thank you for sharing.

B
BaldTexan
Mmmmm....tuna steaks!!! I need more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
SteelieRn
Good job!! I've only been once but would go again in a heartbeat. My 16' riverhawk is just a little light for that though.

T
troutmasta
rakane said:
cedar plugs

Thats my tuna bread and butter-

Nice report Berg03, I firmly believe that a day of tuna fishing is on the top of Oregon angling experiences!

Tight Lines-

jamisonace
jamisonace
Excellent. Love to hear that they are coming!

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk